Typhon Typhon 3s BLX - Pinion and Spur question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmAh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
  2. Typhon 3s
Hi,
Total noob to the RC scene and just picked up the Typhon 3S BLX a few weeks ago. I'm loving the thing and of course the mod bug is starting to bite. I'm looking at get an 18T pinion. I'm confused with the mod number and wondering what mod number i should be getting. 1 mod or .08 mod? Also is it worth it to get a metal spur gear since i'll be getting in there anyways. A suggestion for the metal spur would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,
Total noob to the RC scene and just picked up the Typhon 3S BLX a few weeks ago. I'm loving the thing and of course the mod bug is starting to bite. I'm looking at get an 18T pinion. I'm confused with the mod number and wondering what mod number i should be getting. 1 mod or .08 mod? Also is it worth it to get a metal spur gear since i'll be getting in there anyways. A suggestion for the metal spur would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
The 3S and 4S line all use Mod 0.8 gears. So you want to stick with that tooth pitch.

I would just grab the 4S slipper from JRC if you want the steel spur, if you’re lucky to land one.

Also grab the 4S heatsink and fan from JRC at the same time.

Lastly, get yourself a set of RPM arms and you’ll be glad you have them on hand. ✌?

The 3S and 4S line all use Mod 0.8 gears. So you want to stick with that tooth pitch.

I would just grab the 4S slipper from JRC if you want the steel spur, if you’re lucky to land one.

Also grab the 4S heatsink and fan from JRC at the same time.

Lastly, get yourself a set of RPM arms and you’ll be glad you have them on hand. ✌?
wow thanks for the quick reply! I'll definitely look into getting those arms. Do you think the metal spur is worth it? If so would you happen to know the model #?

Thanks!

First thing I got for my Typhon 3S was RPM A arms. They should be more durable and if I manage to break one, I've now got the stock A arms ready to put back on and keep running it. ?? Good luck and welcome to the forum.

wow thanks for the quick reply! I'll definitely look into getting those arms. Do you think the metal spur is worth it? If so would you happen to know the model #?

Thanks!
For the slipper assembly go here JRC

For the arms go here RPM

For an 18t pinion you’ll need a adjustable motor mount. Stock only has fixed 15, 20 and 26 tooth mounting holes. Arrma and Hot Racing make one.
Im running badlands mx28 tires and found the rpm arms too flexy. They’re probably fine with stock wheels/tires but the flex would just transfer to the steering block and that would break instead. My car also noticeably handles better on stock a-arms so now I just keep spares on hand. Welcome, I hope u have deep pockets. Lol

For an 18t pinion you’ll need a adjustable motor mount. Stock only has fixed 15, 20 and 26 tooth mounting holes. Arrma and Hot Racing make one.
Im running badlands mx28 tires and found the rpm arms too flexy. They’re probably fine with stock wheels/tires but the flex would just transfer to the steering block and that would break instead. My car also noticeably handles better on stock a-arms so now I just keep spares on hand. Welcome, I hope u have deep pockets. Lol
Sorry but that makes no sense to me. If the RPM flex, that means they are directly absorbing the energy. A stiff arm would transfer the energy. The RPM arms didn’t break your steering blocks. Impact did.

I’m running MX28s as well and used the break my stock arms almost every run. After buying two sets of RPM arms, I ended up giving away the second set as I will likely never need a backup set. They are a permanent fix for me. You do need to flip them when they warp, but that’s a five minute fix and no big deal.

Thanks for the tips GreenD!

I think i'm gonna start with the suggestions everyone has provided:

1) Motor Mount
2) 18T pinion
3) 4S slipper clutch assembly
4) RPM a-arms
5) motor fan.. however I gotta figure out how to power it

I also have like a million tabs open in Chrome with other accessories im looking at... Good thing i'm saving money by not going out due to covid..
I just came back from taking the Typhon out on an astroturff soccer field, you don't get to see it kick up dust but also not as messy as gravel/dirt and more forgiving than concrete when it tumbles. and there's plenty of space to go full throttle.

Thanks for the tips GreenD!

I think i'm gonna start with the suggestions everyone has provided:

1) Motor Mount
2) 18T pinion
3) 4S slipper clutch assembly
4) RPM a-arms
5) motor fan.. however I gotta figure out how to power it

I also have like a million tabs open in Chrome with other accessories im looking at... Good thing i'm saving money by not going out due to covid..
I just came back from taking the Typhon out on an astroturff soccer field, you don't get to see it kick up dust but also not as messy as gravel/dirt and more forgiving than concrete when it tumbles. and there's plenty of space to go full throttle.
The fan gets plugged into any open radio channel.

Sorry but that makes no sense to me. If the RPM flex, that means they are directly absorbing the energy. A stiff arm would transfer the energy. The RPM arms didn’t break your steering blocks. Impact did.

I’m running MX28s as well and used the break my stock arms almost every run. After buying two sets of RPM arms, I ended up giving away the second set as I will likely never need a backup set. They are a permanent fix for me. You do need to flip them when they warp, but that’s a five minute fix and no big deal.
Hmmm, I’m gonna give flipping them over a try once I blow threw the couple stock sets I have. I’m a noob too trying to get this thing dialed in. What’s the deal with boiling the a arms? Is that just to get them flat again?

Hmmm, I’m gonna give flipping them over a try once I blow threw the couple stock sets I have. I’m a noob too trying to get this thing dialed in. What’s the deal with boiling the a arms? Is that just to get them flat again?
Yeah that’s the thinking. You heat them to get them flat and then shock them with cold water to set them straight. I don’t bother with this and just rotate them instead.

I'm glad I found this info on here. Had no idea the A arms would get bent just from resting on the wheels. Got mine propped up now. I think I'll also rotate them once they're bent. Thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back