Typhon Typhon 3S insufficient front and rear differential oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiadennis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi guys
I just wanted to share with you.
2 Weeks ago there was a leak in my Kraton V4. I decided to replace the o-ring and since I had to remove the rear, I decided to do the same for the centre and front diff too. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/differential-shim-badly-worn-on-v4.12627/#post-150046

Yesterday I decided to check the diff oil for my Typhon 3S. When I remove the diff, I was able to easily turn the drive couplings, its as like there were no oil and there were no leak. When I open up the diff, both the diff cups were only a 1/4 fill. I wonder if any of you guys have this experience?

Mass production from China need I say more?
Diffs being empty out of the box seems to be a pretty common thing.

My 4s kraton diffs leaks a tiny bit on the input gear end enough to attract dirt near my diff bearings i did not rebuild my diff with green slime at that time

IME, almost all RTR diffs are really only filled part way. Shocks often are too, from what I understand they do this in case there's a leak there isn't a big pool of oil all over the place sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Rebuilt my diffs today with new gaskets. don't know if i overfilled them. Seems like they both have a minor leaks now. Propably have to rebuild them soon again. Both were filled like 1/4 when i opened them.

Rebuilt my diffs today with new gaskets. don't know if i overfilled them. Seems like they both have a minor leaks now. Propably have to rebuild them soon again. Both were filled like 1/4 when i opened them.
Meh idk ussualy if its too much its going to leak out a bit when you put the two pieces togueter?‍♀️
For now on im going to fill my diff until my gears are covered then

Nothing came out. After tightening the screws and testing i noticed some oil leaking from inside. It is possible that there were some oil caught between the halves and the gasket. I think i am going to take the cap off tomorrow and clean the gaskets and the surfaces of the diff halves and reassemble them and see if that helps.

Nothing came out. After tightening the screws and testing i noticed some oil leaking from inside. It is possible that there were some oil caught between the halves and the gasket. I think i am going to take the cap off tomorrow and clean the gaskets and the surfaces of the diff halves and reassemble them and see if that helps.
Could be a bad gasket even, they can get damaged easily during removal.

So what be a good diff weight for the diffs in the 3s? Only stuff I got on hand would be too thick, I have 500k and 100k on hand at the moment.

So what be a good diff weight for the diffs in the 3s? Only stuff I got on hand would be too thick, I have 500k and 100k on hand at the moment.
Stock is 10k front 10k rear i think you can "feel" it when you turn one tire front and rear if the front feels stiffer than the rear then its 30k front 10k rear personally thats what im running and i love it

Nope can turn them with little finger (almost no resistance), LOL. Might need to rip them open and check. And good videos that have a teardown on how to get to the diffs? Im familier with the Outcast 6s, but this 3s plastic chassis is new to me.

From what I've been told you can go up to 100k. Personally I would run 20k rear and 30k front and see how that feels.

Yea don't wanna stick the 100k in, that stuff is super thick LOL.
Now on my Outcast 6s, sure I use it (the 100k)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back