Typhon Typhon 3S insufficient front and rear differential oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope can turn them with little finger (almost no resistance), LOL. Might need to rip them open and check. And good videos that have a teardown on how to get to the diffs? Im familier with the Outcast 6s, but this 3s plastic chassis is new to me.
Remove the center drivesshaft
Remove the red stopper that hold the motor module in place.
Remove the motor module
The rear diff come out with the 3 long flathead screws underneath the diff.
The front diff comes out with the same corresponding 3 and a 4th long screw behind the underneath of the diff. There are videos posted in a sticky.

If you're going to break it down all the way to the diffs, you might as well change out the bearings too.

I changed the bearings as well while changing the diff fluids. Original bearings rattled a bit. Used Avid rubber shielded bearings. Big improvement over the stock.

I opened my new-ish BRCC diff a while back and it was also only filled about 1/4 with oil... maybe 1/3 tops.

A question I have: if you remove a 3S diff and are holding it by the output shafts in your fingers and then turn each shaft in the opposite direction - how firm should it feel? Mine is quite firm, I have to quite firmly grip each shaft with my fingers to turn slowly. I've always wondered if this is normal or if its supposed to turn easily and freely.

I opened my new-ish BRCC diff a while back and it was also only filled about 1/4 with oil... maybe 1/3 tops.

A question I have: if you remove a 3S diff and are holding it by the output shafts in your fingers and then turn each shaft in the opposite direction - how firm should it feel? Mine is quite firm, I have to quite firmly grip each shaft with my fingers to turn slowly. I've always wondered if this is normal or if its supposed to turn easily and freely.
That's normal.

Mine were very hard to turn by the output shafts. What I do is temporarily attach the driveshaft and use that to get a better grip on it. It should be smooth, but have resistance. Make sure to go a few turns in each direction. Take your time. If you feel any kinks or notches, stop and recheck the gears.

They are very firm and that is the way it should be. There are rubber O-rings around the output shafts to prevent diff fluid from leaking out. Those O-rings makes it pretty tight for turning even when diff cases are empty. Filled with diff fluid, the turning becomes even tighter.

Yesterday I decided to check the diff oil for my Typhon 3S. When I remove the diff, I was able to easily turn the drive couplings, its as like there were no oil and there were no leak. When I open up the diff, both the diff cups were only a 1/4 fill. I wonder if any of you guys have this experience?
View attachment 39572
I opened the diffs in my Granite 3s when it brand new and they were only 1/4 full.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back