Typhon Typhon 3s motor and pinion recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro.betterley

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I am building a Typhon from a brand new roller chassis, i have a hobby wing Max 10 120amp 3s/4s ESC, I also have 3s batteries. What motor and pinion would you recommend? I have also upgraded to metal slipper clutch gear.

I was considering a 3665 3800kv brushless motor and 20t pinion?

I am building a Typhon from a brand new roller chassis, i have a hobby wing Max 10 120amp 3s/4s ESC, I also have 3s batteries. What motor and pinion would you recommend? I have also upgraded to metal slipper clutch gear.

I was considering a 3665 3800kv brushless motor and 20t pinion?
36/50

I would probably keep it 3s for now since I already bought three s batteries. Somebody suggested a 3650? I thought that was smaller than a factory brushless motor which is 3660. Do others agree I should put a smaller motor in?

Imo if you plan to stay 3s I'd stick with the stock motor and get a couple of pinions to try out and use for different terrain 16,17,18
Don't forget to inspect the motor bearings regularly. I've used the popular o-ring and washer on the motor to keep crud out, works a treat👍

Thanks for all the input. Kind of new to all this. So I've been doing a lot of reading and playing, bought some wrong parts in the beginning. I'm going to be doing mostly open dirt bashing.
Can you give me one last opinion on pinions. If I was going to stay with a 3S setup close to factory, what pinion do you recommend? And if I was going to go with something closer to a 4S 2400 KV motor, what pinion would you recommend?

Either motor will be ran off My 3s 80C batteries

Stock 3s typhon runs 3200kv 3660 motor with 15t pinion. Tops out around 48mph.
I'm running a surpass 2850kv 3670 with either 15t or 20t pinions (need to buy a few more)
Both these motors are perfect for 3s batts like you have, but the lower kv motor needs a bigger pinion to keep the top speed.

I do run on 4s occasionally, which is nuts, but this does wear out the drive train and chew things up pretty quick.

Thanks for all the input. Kind of new to all this. So I've been doing a lot of reading and playing, bought some wrong parts in the beginning. I'm going to be doing mostly open dirt bashing.
Can you give me one last opinion on pinions. If I was going to stay with a 3S setup close to factory, what pinion do you recommend? And if I was going to go with something closer to a 4S 2400 KV motor, what pinion would you recommend?

A stock Typhon 3S comes with a 15T pinion and 3200kv motor. You would use a 20T pinion to keep the same top speed with 3S on a 2400kv motor. The car can fit up to a 26T pinion.

The bigger 2400kv motor is about the same price, leaves room to grow into 4S later on, and is also more powerful (which means it’ll run cooler). Easy decision IMO.

Screenshots below. Here’s the app I use.

1675638111002.png

1675638146150.png

I have had good luck with surpass rocket motors, Hobbystar is good as well. Since you have a long wheelbase chassis you could put a 3670 or even a 4068 quite comfortably. If you’re going to strictly keep it on 3s, get a little bit higher KV, 2650-3100. If you want run it on 4s you’ll need a lower kv motor. Also keep in mind you’ll probably trash the drivetrain in stock form on 4s.

Both of these motors are smooth can, so they will work with the stock heat sink and fan. If you look at ribbed motors, those are made to work without heat sink using a fan mount and blowing directly on the motor. Either motor will push a 20t pinion easy. I like Robinson racing pinions mostly. Whatever you get it needs to be .08 mod with a 5mm bore. Good luck bud!
HobbyStar 3670 4-Pole Brushless Sensorless RC Boat Motor, Waterproof - 3050KV https://a.co/d/27cJ2cE

SURPASS HOBBY Waterproof 4068 2050KV 2650KV 1900KV 1700KV 1400KV Sensorless Brushless Motor for 1/8 RC Drift Racing Car Parts (4068-2650KV) https://a.co/d/dico4xH

Robinson Racing 8720 Hard 5Mm Bore(.8) Pinion 20T https://a.co/d/jiLdOOa

1F8D55D8-F78E-4560-B44E-A3DD6D1D765A.png

4A525CF1-5D0C-4521-8714-2209C0ED7F3A.png

8C29D3D2-6F11-405C-9A93-1E2326729D45.png

Just trying to understand a little bit better, would there be any measurable or felt difference between these two motors? Same gear, same conditions.
3670 3050kv
3665. 3100kv

Motor size always matters. The extra 5mm will make a difference in performance and heat management.

Whether you can actually feel the difference probably depends on the setup and the person.

Anything larger than stock will be an improvement. The questions for you will be 1) how much of an improvement on power do you want, and 2) how much more power would you actually be able to use and put down to the ground.

The 3670 is generally a good balance between weight and power for the 3s sized trucks. The 4068 will be more weight than the 3670, but will have better torque and more surface area for heat dissipation. Once you decide on a motor can size, pick a KV that meets your gearing and tires setup to achieve the theoretical top speed you desire.

I have had good luck with surpass rocket motors, Hobbystar is good as well. Since you have a long wheelbase chassis you could put a 3670 or even a 4068 quite comfortably. If you’re going to strictly keep it on 3s, get a little bit higher KV, 2650-3100. If you want run it on 4s you’ll need a lower kv motor. Also keep in mind you’ll probably trash the drivetrain in stock form on 4s.

Both of these motors are smooth can, so they will work with the stock heat sink and fan. If you look at ribbed motors, those are made to work without heat sink using a fan mount and blowing directly on the motor. Either motor will push a 20t pinion easy. I like Robinson racing pinions mostly. Whatever you get it needs to be .08 mod with a 5mm bore. Good luck bud!
HobbyStar 3670 4-Pole Brushless Sensorless RC Boat Motor, Waterproof - 3050KV https://a.co/d/27cJ2cE

SURPASS HOBBY Waterproof 4068 2050KV 2650KV 1900KV 1700KV 1400KV Sensorless Brushless Motor for 1/8 RC Drift Racing Car Parts (4068-2650KV) https://a.co/d/dico4xH

Robinson Racing 8720 Hard 5Mm Bore(.8) Pinion 20T https://a.co/d/jiLdOOa

View attachment 275993

View attachment 275994

View attachment 275995
Will the stock heat sink (for the 36 size motor) actually work with the 4068 motor you linked?

Anything larger than stock will be an improvement. The questions for you will be 1) how much of an improvement on power do you want, and 2) how much more power would you actually be able to use and put down to the ground.

The 3670 is generally a good balance between weight and power for the 3s sized trucks. The 4068 will be more weight than the 3670, but will have better torque and more surface area for heat dissipation. Once you decide on a motor can size, pick a KV that meets your gearing and tires setup to achieve the theoretical top speed you desire.

Will the stock heat sink (for the 36 size motor) actually work with the 4068 motor you linked?
Good point and I don’t think so. I’ve never tried though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back