Typhon Typhon 3S motor removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickkesa

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hi, my first post here and relatively new to RC world. Can someone help with some instructions on how to remove the motor in the Typhon 3S?
I removed the center driveshaft and screw that holds the battery strap. I can’t see anything else that holds the motor in. There is a tab which you seem to pull on, but the motor doesn’t seem to budge.
Was planning to change pinion/metal spur and motor mount.

Taking my motor is a struggle to say the least. To pull the catch up and pull the motor down all at the same time can be frustrating. In my case i break my thump lifting up catch then use a flat head screwdriver to gently prise the motor slowly. It will come of just patience ✌?bash on

Last edited:
you did pull the strap out also? with the red piece attached?

Hi, my first post here and relatively new to RC world. Can someone help with some instructions on how to remove the motor in the Typhon 3S?
I removed the center driveshaft and screw that holds the battery strap. I can’t see anything else that holds the motor in. There is a tab which you seem to pull on, but the motor doesn’t seem to budge.

There are slots on both the left and right side of the motor mount. What I did was used a screwdriver to pry a little at a time one side at a time. A few little wiggles and it will come out.

When you put it back in, put a little grease on the skids to make next time easier.

Above the rear differential there is a tab you pull up on and the entire motor and gear assembly towards the esc. The first several times it's extremely difficult to remove.

On you tube look at stevo d 313 he has a video on this and shows how it's done.

There are slots on both the left and right side of the motor mount. What I did was used a screwdriver to pry a little at a time one side at a time. A few little wiggles and it will come out.

When you put it back in, put a little grease on the skids to make next time easier.
This^
I struggled with mine for like an hour I was about ready to break that damn tab off. Mine also had red loctite caked all over the shaft that went into the diff output..............

First; thanks for sharing the video...
It wasn't as easy as the video for me. Took me a little while to finally get the motor/ mount out of the slot. Screwdrivers definitely help with the removal. Also the pinion gear was a PITA to remove from motor shaft. Had to heat it up and it slid off... Lots of loctite on shaft...

First; thanks for sharing the video...
It wasn't as easy as the video for me. Took me a little while to finally get the motor/ mount out of the slot. Screwdrivers definitely help with the removal. Also the pinion gear was a PITA to remove from motor shaft. Had to heat it up and it slid off... Lots of loctite on shaft...
Arrma loves them some red loctite.

Thanks guys. I finally got the motor out. It does take a lot of effort, using the screw driver to pry it out helped. I did manage to somehow break the plastic part that holds the bearing on the driveshaft though. so annoyed.

Thanks guys. I finally got the motor out. It does take a lot of effort, using the screw driver to pry it out helped. I did manage to somehow break the plastic part that holds the bearing on the driveshaft though. so annoyed.
I did the same thing yesterday trying to tighten up my slipper.

Be careful with tightening up the slipper, I had my slipper way too tight and burned it up.
You sure too tight does that? There’s zero slip with it’s tightened down. When it’s loose is when it could slip and burn up the pads, right? Correct me if I’m wrong please.

You sure too tight does that? There’s zero slip with it’s tightened down. When it’s loose is when it could slip and burn up the pads, right? Correct me if I’m wrong please.
If the slipper is too loose you loose speed and torque,. If it's too tight it does release to let it the motor go

There is a fine line between too tight and too loose. Also there a personal preference to it also.
I like doing wheelies and so I like it on the tight side. Plus you have to be mindful of the temp of the motor too.

If the slipper is too loose you loose speed and torque,. If it's too tight it does release to let it the motor go

There is a fine line between too tight and too loose. Also there a personal preference to it also.
I like doing wheelies and so I like it on the tight side. Plus you have to be mindful of the temp of the motor too.
I prefer to keep the front wheels down for control. Wheelies were fun at first, but the novelty wore off for me. I’d rather go fast with control.

I prefer to keep the front wheels down for control. Wheelies were fun at first, but the novelty wore off for me. I’d rather go fast with control.
I do also, I like the challenge of keeping the front wheels on the ground. Also it keeps me from just going full throttle.

Call me crazy, but both are a lot fun.

Be careful with tightening up the slipper, I had my slipper way too tight and burned it up.
Any chance you have some instructions on how to setup the slipper clutch on the typhon 3s? When i took mine apart there seemed to be a bunch of dried up loctite in it. was weird - do you normally add loctite on the screw that holds it in place? I can't find any details in the manual on how to setup the slipper clutch. I did see something on youtube about using that red tool that is supplied. I wasn't even aware that tool was for the slipper clutch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back