Typhon 3s Radio question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackintoR/C

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
My Typhon 3SBLX came with the SLT3 Transmitter and SLR300 receiver, but instead of a long wire like on the Spectrum website, it has the short 2"? Antenna. The antenna does appear to stop just short of the body when I put it on, but is there any way to relocate the antenna to get even more range? I'm able to run out in the open on sports fields, etc. And don't want to run out of range. I read one review that someone got 400 feet or so with zero response issues, so if this setup will actually get me at least 100 yards in the open, that's ok. I'm just worried because some people run out of range closer to 50 yards. I know I haven't been able to quite go out to 100 yet, but will be able to when the weather breaks.
Thanks for the input and Happy New Year!!

20230101_110224_HDR~2.jpg

Moving that antenna wire might pick you up 5-10 feet if any at all. Safest way to range your vehicle is to have it turned on and a buddy start walking away from you holding it by the bumper in case the ESC glitches and spins the wheels. My Futaba RX's have 0 antenna wires.

I have the same radio and setup. Was having range issues. Took off the plastic antenna tip and found the antennae way down in the tube. Most was coiled up in receiver box. Extended it as much as I could and just let it hang out of tube. Range issues went away.

IMG_20230101_120008273_HDR.jpg

Thanks. I didn't want to raise the tube too much because I don't want it breaking off on a roll. So far no range issues, but I don't want any when I get the chance to run the Typhon to the far end of soccer fields, etc. At least I can stand on a hillside and look down 20 feet or so onto the fields. I also don't have to worry about buildings or wires messing with the signal. I will probably check the tube to make sure the antenna is to the top of it. Thanks.
Thanks. I didn't want to raise the tube too much because I don't want it breaking off on a roll. So far no range issues, but I don't want any when I get the chance to run the Typhon to the far end of soccer fields, etc. At least I can stand on a hillside and look down 20 feet or so onto the fields. I also don't have to worry about buildings or wires messing with the signal. I will probably check the tube to make sure the antenna is to the top of it. Thanks.
Should that antenna tube cap slip off, or did they glue them on??

Should that antenna tube cap slip off, or did they glue them on??
Not glued, a bit tight but should pull right off.

My Typhon 3SBLX came with the SLT3 Transmitter and SLR300 receiver, but instead of a long wire like on the Spectrum website, it has the short 2"? Antenna. The antenna does appear to stop just short of the body when I put it on, but is there any way to relocate the antenna to get even more range? I'm able to run out in the open on sports fields, etc. And don't want to run out of range. I read one review that someone got 400 feet or so with zero response issues, so if this setup will actually get me at least 100 yards in the open, that's ok. I'm just worried because some people run out of range closer to 50 yards. I know I haven't been able to quite go out to 100 yet, but will be able to when the weather breaks.
Thanks for the input and Happy New Year!!

View attachment 266602
Don’t worry about unless you actually lose connection within that 100 yards. If you want a better tx/rx on a budget that gives 600+ feet range, get a dumbo. They are really good for only round $40.

358C8E23-C7BA-4FD0-A2FF-2AE2FEB66CA7.png

Moving that antenna wire might pick you up 5-10 feet if any at all. Safest way to range your vehicle is to have it turned on and a buddy start walking away from you holding it by the bumper in case the ESC glitches and spins the wheels. My Futaba RX's have 0 antenna wires.

What's a good way to do this solo? It wouldn't really let you check steering. But it seems like maybe you could put the truck on something to get the wheels off the ground (or maybe just flip it on its back?), keep walking away, blip the throttle, and see if you hear the motor?

At that price point, I may give the Dumborc a shot if I'm unhappy with my actual range with the Spektrum once the weather breaks. But at that fairly equal price point, and both the Dumborc and Spektrum being 2.4 Ghz, how does the Dumborc get so much more range?

Last edited:
At that price point, I may give the Dumborc a shot if I'm unhappy with my actual range with the Spektrum once the weather breaks. But at that fairly equal price point, and both the Dumborc and Spektrum being 2.4 Ghz, how does the Dumborc get so much more range?
I have no clue. I have two of them hooked up to 5 different cars. I can’t see far enough to drive my cars out of range so they are perfect. Dumbos are made by the same factory as radiolink. Radiolink is also another good radio, running around 60-70 bucks or so for their base model, rc4gs. I just picked one up to try it out. I haven’t hooked it up yet, but I have high hopes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back