Typhon Typhon 3S shock/suspension setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiamiRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vorteks
Hi guys I'm looking for some advice. I have a stock Typhon 3S and I'm not happy with the way it lands after jumping. It seems to bottom out easily and often flips completely upside down which is annoying. Should I stiffen the front and/ or rear with the shock clips? Change out the stock shock oil? Something else? Looking for some advice from someone that has theirs dialed in. Thank you!

Assuming you don't have the new v3 version, then good chance that your oil leaked. flip the car upside down and press the suspension to feel if oil is missing.

Thanks, I bought it a few months ago so it's not the newest one that just came out (still has the not great STX2 radio). No signs of leaking on the shocks but the damping does feel really soft.

Thanks, I bought it a few months ago so it's not the newest one that just came out (still has the not great STX2 radio). No signs of leaking on the shocks but the damping does feel really soft.
Yep - you deffos want a few of those clips on - i ran two or three at the front and one at the back when my springs were stock

I would suggest getting 6s Typhon shocks. Where are you jumping? Track? Backyard? Here is my jumping setup
DSC_0154.JPG

I am running 6s Notorious shocks and jumping about 12ft-20ft in the air with no issues. With the backflips 3.8 and 6s Notorious shocks the chassis doesn't even touch the ground at full compression

I would suggest getting 6s Typhon shocks. Where are you jumping? Track? Backyard? Here is my jumping setup View attachment 104353
I am running 6s Notorious shocks and jumping about 12ft-20ft in the air with no issues. With the backflips 3.8 and 6s Notorious shocks the chassis doesn't even touch the ground at full compression
Mint rig. Love that shell!

I would suggest getting 6s Typhon shocks. Where are you jumping? Track? Backyard? Here is my jumping setup View attachment 104353

Interesting. Are the 6s Typhon shocks a straight swapout with the 3s ones?

I can assure you that the stock shocks are full capable to handle landings just like any other shock. 6s or not. Just make sure that are indeed full of oil, and if you want try thicker oil. There’s nothing in other shocks that make them better for landings.

My stock ones leaked that why I changed them. The 6s is a direct replacement but a lot more money than the eBay ones and I have launched this thing today and they work well

I can assure you that the stock shocks are full capable to handle landings just like any other shock. 6s or not. Just make sure that are indeed full of oil, and if you want try thicker oil. There’s nothing in other shocks that make them better for landings.
So true, I totally agree. People think the stock shocks are not as good just becuase they are plastic, but I'd rather keep my stock shocks over the cheap metal ebay specials.

I bought my Typhon 2 months ago and all the shocks were only half full. No leaks just not filled by the factory. Once I filled them it was night and day difference.

I got a Typhon Mega (upgraded to 4s)my stock arrma shocks are amazing, yer they leak but not worried as shock oil is cheep, I run 50 weight oil in mine 2x med clips rear and 1lg 2 med clips on the front, I can launch it (6m+ air) rally it hard no problems it's a beast. Smoked a VXL Rustler on 2S and a 3S VXL BANDIT, on 2S lipo ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_235348.jpg
    IMG_20200919_235348.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200907_115739.jpg
    IMG_20200907_115739.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200905_213207.jpg
    IMG_20200905_213207.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 58
I have upgraded shocks, but I've seen plenty of videos of people landing huge jumps very nicely with stock shocks. As other have said, filling with heavier (50-60 wt) shock oil and stiffening the shocks with the shock clips will help a great deal. Also, as others have said, some chassis slap is necessary. If it's slapping too much, the car will bounce too much even when you land on the wheels. But even with a stiffened shock setup, you want some chassis slap to distribute the impact.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back