Typhon 3s shock upgrade: Mojave shock length question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I've been a lurker for a while but finally got my first Arrma, a Typhon 3s. I was looking at the shock options thread and it is a GREAT resource, just one thing I found confusing.

ZD Racing shocks seem to be one of the best budget shocks for the Typhon 3s. I also saw the recommendation for Mojave 6s front shocks for the front and Kraton 6s front shocks for the rear on the Typhon. Looking at shock lengths they are definitely a great match.

That said, the Mojave shocks are 108mm front and 133mm rear. The ZD Racing shocks that many are using are 110mm front and 132mm rear and you just use fuel line or spacers to take up the extra length. Wouldn't that work the same with the Mojave rear shocks since they are 1mm off from identical length? Or is the Mojave rear shock a longer shock body that gets in the way of suspension? Or maybe there is another reason I am missing here. Just figured no need to place 2 separate orders and pay 2 different shipping charges if the Mojave rear shocks will work and I could just get all 4 in one order.

Buying all 4 Mojave shocks as a set still comes out $15 cheaper, that's why I'm trying to find out if the Mojave rear shocks have any issues with fit.

Buying all 4 Mojave shocks as a set still comes out $15 cheaper, that's why I'm trying to find out if the Mojave rear shocks have any issues with fit.
The Mojave rear shocks will be perfect for length, although the springs may be a little soft for a Typhon 3S

The Mojave fronts can also work but are a bit of a stretch (literally) as they are quite long. They can probably bottom out if fitted, however they might not allow any tolerance for heavy one-wheel landings. Shocks that are too long can cause jolts throughout the car at full compression and could break or strip out rod ends

Check out this super handy chart for 6S shock sizes:

Post in thread 'IMPORTANT PLEASE READ. Arrma 6s, Arrma Mega 4x4, BLX 3s and BLX 4s shock information and upgrades.' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...ock-information-and-upgrades.7413/post-666263

I don't have a 3S Typhon but I on my Big Rock I used the Mojave fronts and Kraton Front shocks from Jenny's RC (they sell them in pairs so there is no different between ordering 2 pairs of Mojave shocks or 1 front Mojave and one front Kraton shock.) The recommendation may have been from me on another thread because the 6S Typhon shocks are like $50/$46 and the Mojave are $30 and Kraton are $26.
Couple thinga of note though... The Mojave shocks don't have the nice shock boot where the Kraton's do. Those are probably cheap to add later if you wanted. The rear shocks take more dirt flung at them so I was OK with the Kraton's in the rear only having the boot. The other thing of note is that the oil weight is quite different between the two so you should probably at least match the weights in the rear to start.

Good luck with whatever you decide, share with us how it turns out.
Hurricane

Just went to Jennys and put the Mojave/front + Kraton/front shocks in my cart and it was $60 shipped. The full set of Mojave shocks are on ebay for $45 shipped, I found those first so kinda had that price point stuck in my head. Checking the specs again, I realize I would prefer the Kraton springs (firmer) and now you mentioned the dust boot also, springs and dust boots are about $15 so I'm at $60 either way, lol.
Now Jennys sounds like the easier option.

What shock oil wt are you running in your Big Rock with those shocks? I'll be running Badlands, Trenchers, and Duratrax Hatchets on my Typhon most of the time, most of my bashing spots just have too many big rocks (no pun intended,lol) to get away with running buggy tires.

Update: Done, just ordered the Mojave front and Kraton front shocks. Forgot about the JRC 5% discount code so it was just under $57. Gotta say thats pretty sweet. I spent more on shocks for my 2wd Stampede, lol.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back