Typhon Typhon 3s shock upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a slo-mo from 3ft to cement. Rear end bounces. The whole chassis slaps hard. No battery or body either.

Video is kind of dark but it doesn't look like the chassis hits the ground. The front looks okay, I would try some lighter oil in the rear.

Here is a slo-mo from 3ft to cement. Rear end bounces. The whole chassis slaps hard. No battery or body either.

IMO, your buggy looks oversprung (front at least) and underdamped. It rebounds plenty fast, rear is definitely too fast from the video.

Tear apart the rear shocks and reset oil at a minimum. If it's full, go up about 5-7.5 wt.

Also remove the bottom screw from the shocks and make sure the arms flop up and down freely with no binding. If you have a bent hingepin or dirt or something tightened too much, it will bind and not let the shocks do their job.

Last edited:
IMO, your buggy looks oversprung (front at least) and underdamped. It rebounds plenty fast, rear is definitely too fast from the video.

Tear apart the rear shocks and reset oil at a minimum. If it's full, go up about 5-7.5 wt.

Also remove the bottom screw from the shocks and make sure the arms flop up and down freely with no binding. If you have a bent hingepin or dirt or something tightened too much, it will bind and not let the shocks do their job.
Good advice. This is a newly built Kraton. Used to be a Granite that was upgraded to BLX120 4S electronics, then taken all the way to Kraton 4S. I bought the chassis, arms, driveshafts, etc from JRC. Assembly went well after I finally received my hinge pins that they forgot to send. The arms move very well. I never inspected the shock oil when I received them from JRC. I will check the oil and inspect the shocks soon.

Video is kind of dark but it doesn't look like the chassis hits the ground. The front looks okay, I would try some lighter oil in the rear.
It bottomed out really hard on that video. Sorry it's dark. That's all the light I have in the garage at the moment. You can hear the slap in the video.

What is bpm?

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...-blx-4s-shocks-upgrades-and-information.7413/

Arrma Mega 4x4, BLX 3s and BLX 4s shocks.

• Stock front shocks for the Mega and BLX 3s are 100mm eye to eye.
  • Stock rear shocks for the Mega and BLX 3s are 115mm eye to eye.
First and foremost as of the writing of this section of this thread the best option for these vehicles are shocks off of the Arrma Typhon 6s. The best place to source these is from JennysRC.
For the Arrma Typhon shocks you will need something to take up the slack in the upper mount most use either steel balls out of shock rod ends or nitro fuel line.

A lot of people have used these shocks with great results. They are HSP Front 81003 and HSP Rear 81002 shocks.
These will also require either the steel balls or nitro fuel line to take up the space in the upper mount.

Mega4x4_Shocks.jpg

Big Bore eBay shocks. Alse need either shock rod ends or fuel line in the top.
Trackstar Shocks. Springs that come with these are rather stiff and should be swapped out to whichever spring of your choice. And again will need steel balls or nitro fuel line.
Basher Sabertooth shocks.
Hey guys new here , looking to upgrade my typhon 3s shocks , leaning towards bpm aluminium shocks , but being new to the hobby I’m finding it hard to find the right size to bolt straight on with no modifications , any suggestions on what you guys recommend or any other bolt on shocks I’m not aware of? Your help would be greatly appreciated as I have no clue
decided to go with track star
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-8-alu-shock-absorber-set-106mm-2.html?wrh_pdp=3

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-8-alu-shock-absorber-set-126mm-2.html

Hoping to have an easy transition

I am planning to put the Typhon 6S shocks on my 3S. Struggling to find time for RC at the moment so whenever I get a chance to look on Jenny's RC they are sold out. I may end up putting on a slightly lighter spring but will run it first before making that decision
I got Kraton big bore shocks on front stock on back

Hey guys new to this hobby. Picked up the typhon 3s. Didn't like the plastic shocks so ordered the 6s shocks. Question tho, eye to eye the 3s shocks are slightly smaller than the 3s shocks. Should I put in smaller shock shafts on them to match the original length? Or move the mounting position. I know this can also effect your droop or make the car ride stiffer if moved out to a further mounting position. Maybe I'm just over thinking this.

Hey guys new to this hobby. Picked up the typhon 3s. Didn't like the plastic shocks so ordered the 6s shocks. Question tho, eye to eye the 3s shocks are slightly smaller than the 3s shocks. Should I put in smaller shock shafts on them to match the original length? Or move the mounting position. I know this can also effect your droop or make the car ride stiffer if moved out to a further mounting position. Maybe I'm just over thinking this.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...d-blx-4s-shock-information-and-upgrades.7413/

Can you get shorter shafts? If you want it to drive the same, then yes, although you have a lot of other changes as well (stiffer springs, damping, etc.), so if you're not changing those, then probably not something you're going to notice.

I’ve found the 6S shock springs to be too soft for my Typhon 3S and Kraton 4S. I ordered some firmer 6S springs to test them out. I have the Kraton 4S rings as tight as they can be and it still droops. Chassis slaps are common with the smallest of bumps.
Do you know the part number for the springs you used, i've noticed that the springs are a little soft.

Do you know the part number for the springs you used, i've noticed that the springs are a little soft.
I used Kraton 6S RTR springs on mine if I remember correctly. I no longer have that truck to check tho.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back