Typhon Typhon 3s slow down after around a hundred meters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamVorst

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hi all,

So I was racing today on a large parking spot with my 26T installed in my Arrma typhon 3s.
Each time I go around a hundred meters the car slows down to a much lower speed, I still could drive it back. but it was acting like the battery was low..
This was not the case, the battery was still 95% full. When I turned off, and on it was going fast again..
I not have a temp gun but with my hand I felt and it was not very hot, some hotter than with a 15T.
I guess that couldn't be the issue.

I guess it is a sort of safety issue when it comes near out of range,
does someone know if this is right? And if so, are there people who recommend a good radio under 100/120€.
Because a hundred meters isn't much to drive with high speed.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi all,

So I was racing today on a large parking spot with my 26T installed in my Arrma typhon 3s.
Each time I go around a hundred meters the car slows down to a much lower speed, I still could drive it back. but it was acting like the battery was low..
This was not the case, the battery was still 95% full. When I turned off, and on it was going fast again..
I not have a temp gun but with my hand I felt and it was not very hot, some hotter than with a 15T.
I guess that couldn't be the issue.

I guess it is a sort of safety issue when it comes near out of range,
does someone know if this is right? And if so, are there people who recommend a good radio under 100/120€.
Because a hundred meters isn't much to drive with high speed.

Thanks,
Sam
What radio do you have? Are you running the stock one?

I would start off by calibrating the ESC:

Turn on the transmitter.

Hold Set button on ESC and turn it on, release Set when it starts chirping/red light flashing.

Make sure the transmitter is neutral. Press Set once. One beep/green flash.

Full throttle on transmitter fully, hold. Then press the Set button. Two beeps/2 green flashes.

Reverse/brake on transmitter fully, hold. Press the Set button. 3 beeps/3 green flashes.

Turn off ESC. You are ready.

It's voltage sag. The stock ESC (BLX100) has a very annoying habit of triggering LVC too early when the load causes the battery voltages to drop. You can send the ESC to HH (Logic RC in the UK) so they can update the firmware which apparently adjusts the LVC setting. You can get this problem with other ESCs as well (unless you turn off LVC altogether), just not as often

Considering that you're using a 26t pinion, it will definitely contribute to voltage sag. It gets worse with bigger pinions, older/weaker lipos and in cold weather. My Typhon 3S wouldn't last 1 minute without having to turn off/on again in cold weather whilst only using an 18t pinion

Aha, thanks for your answer!
So if they update the firmware from my ESC the problem is gone?
And is the LVC still on for if the battery is almost low?
Is it possible to update the ESC at home withouth HH?

Thanks

That is dissapointing. I lost it for already two weeks at my local hobby store, and I only have the car a month and a half.
Is there maybe an option to turn LVC off and put a voltage checker in the car?

Last edited:
Aha, thanks for your answer!
So if they update the firmware from my ESC the problem is gone?
And is the LVC still on for if the battery is almost low?
Is it possible to update the ESC at home withouth HH?

Thanks
I can't say... I sent mine off and got it back, but I've not used it. I've kept it as a spare. I now use a Hobbywing Max10 SCT ESC instead

Yes it should still trigger LVC at low voltages. I was told by a Logic RC rep that after the firmware update, it changes the LVC from 3.7v to 3.4v, but the main difference being that the ESC will now monitor peak voltage drop for a few (more) seconds before triggering LVC

No - I've tried myself using the HW multifunction program box and PC software. The ESC isn't recognised at all. It will need to be sent to them instead for the firmware update. The postage was only around £2.50 for me so it was worth trying

Thanks, I see in the manual indeed only the option to set LVC to lipo or nimh.
Maybe I buy a new ESC than. And use this as spare @Yas always good to have it as a spare. You recommended the Ezrun max10 but, it is only 60A or am I reading wrong? It says it can handle 4s as well. Is that right?

Last edited:
Thanks, I see in the manual indeed only the option to set LVC to lipo or nimh.
Maybe I buy a new ESC than. And use this as spare @Yas always good to have it as a spare. You recommended the Ezrun max10 but, it is only 60A or am I reading wrong? It says it can handle 4s as well. Is that right?
Not the 60A version. It is the Max10 SCT 120A. I got the motor with it too as it's better value. This ESC will need to be fixed down using 3M/double sided tape as it doesn't have the fixing ears like the BLX100 has

Thanks for your help! I take a look at it!
Not the 60A version. It is the Max10 SCT 120A. I got the motor with it too as it's better value. This ESC will need to be fixed down using 3M/double sided tape as it doesn't have the fixing ears like the BLX100 has

Are you using any adapters between the battery and ESC? This seems to be more common with people using batteries with Deans connectors and an adapter.
Is there maybe an option to turn LVC off and put a voltage checker in the car?
You can certainly do that if you have a voltage alarm handy.

Are you using any adapters between the battery and ESC? This seems to be more common with people using batteries with Deans connectors and an adapter.

You can certainly do that if you have a voltage alarm handy.
No I'm not using any adapters. I do have a led kit installed don't know if that matter?! So if I buy a voltage checker alarm I can disable LVC? How do I do that.
I should have re-read the post. I thought when the car goes far away it slows down and when you bring it back to you it speeds up again
Doesn't matter, thanks for your time! I was thinking that it was a safety feature if it is almost out of range.

No I'm not using any adapters. I do have a led kit installed don't know if that matter?! So if I buy a voltage checker alarm I can disable LVC? How do I do that.

Doesn't matter, thanks for your time! I was thinking that it was a safety feature if it is almost out of range.
Depending on the light kit, this is possibly your answer. Unhook them and run a pack and see if it makes any changes.

Back