Typhon 3s speed run bumper prototype

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suchtragedy

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡ɯɹɐ loɹʇuoɔ ǝʞoɹq
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Felony
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Limitless
  7. Kraton 6s
  8. Outcast 4s
  9. Typhon 3s
  10. Voltage
Sort of a build preview for a 3s Speedrun Typhon I am working on but wanted to see what you guys think? I'm not sure if I like it. I could make it wider but I think it would look funnier being wider than the body. But basically it's there for a little more downforce and only secondary as protection.

Ignore the color as this was a first attempt print just to see how everything fit and I always use a color/filament I don't use very much for prototypes. This one is done in PLA but final product would be nylon or TPU. The fact that it fits right up with PLA gives me confidence right away that TPU or Nylon would be no issue.

Design based on @jondilly1974 s bumper for bottom plate attachment (trimmed a bit) and the rest of his bumper was just used for size/position/angle reference to get the front mount aligned.

Attachments

• 20200423_162717.jpg
    20200423_162717.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 20200423_163050.jpg
    20200423_163050.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20200423_163013.jpg
    20200423_163013.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 104
Sort of a build preview for a 3s Speedrun Typhon I am working on but wanted to see what you guys think? I'm not sure if I like it. I could make it wider but I think it would look funnier being wider than the body. But basically it's there for a little more downforce and only secondary as protection.

Ignore the color as this was a first attempt print just to see how everything fit and I always use a color/filament I don't use very much for prototypes. This one is done in PLA but final product would be nylon or TPU. The fact that it fits right up with PLA gives me confidence right away that TPU or Nylon would be no issue.

Design based on @jondilly1974 s bumper for bottom plate attachment (trimmed a bit) and the rest of his bumper was just used for size/position/angle reference to get the front mount aligned.
I'd run it. Makes the buggy look bigger and essentially, "why not?" If I could make prints I'd try as much as I could to modify my trucks.

That’s gonna be a lot of front downforce and combined with those pointed tips, I foresee a pole vault at about 70mph ??

I think you might be able to avoid this with as much preload as you can and add tubing bump stops inside the shock body to lower the ride height, keeping it stiff and low.

Same for the back, but let it sit just a mm higher. Just a touch of rake. I think that setup can get you over 80mph with enough ESC and motor.

That’s gonna be a lot of front downforce and combined with those pointed tips, I foresee a pole vault at about 70mph ??

I think you might be able to avoid this with as much preload as you can and add tubing bump stops inside the shock body to lower the ride height, keeping it stiff and low.

Same for the back, but let it sit just a mm higher. Just a touch of rake. I think that setup can get you over 80mph with enough ESC and motor.

Yeah I was wondering about the possibility of vaulting or it turning into a kite with air under it maybe since it's on the front of the car it has the most leverage, one good bump causing the nose to lift and LIFTOFF.

A good fit was the biggest challenge I can always redesign the front of it. Also haven't done anything to the shocks except mount them and was going to use shock shaft spacers to lower rather than using less preload so good advice :D

Yeah I was wondering about the possibility of vaulting or it turning into a kite with air under it maybe since it's on the front of the car it has the most leverage, one good bump causing the nose to lift and LIFTOFF.

A good fit was the biggest challenge I can always redesign the front of it. Also haven't done anything to the shocks except mount them and was going to use rubes to limit travel to lower rather than using less preload so good advice :D
I think the design is pretty good if you get the suspension stiff and low and find smooth road. I only worry about the pole vault due to soft suspension. It looks like you’re gonna get enough downforce that the nose should stay down.

Now braking might be another story. I would turn your brakes down to avoid hard nose dives.

I think the design is pretty good if you get the suspension stiff and low and find smooth road. I only worry about the pole vault due to soft suspension. It looks like you’re gonna get enough downforce that the nose should stay down.

Now braking might be another story. I would turn your brakes down to avoid hard nose dives.
Oooooh good call, I guess you would know more than most ?

I kinda want to design a parachute drag brake like I saw a thread about on here some time ago. Add a small servo attached with wire that's attached to a retaining pin and using servo on Ch. 3 to activate it to pull the pin and deploy... ? in theory it would be feasible but I don't know if I would have the guts to test it at 70+ mph lmao.

Oooooh good call, I guess you would know more than most ?

I kinda want to design a parachute drag brake like I saw a thread about on here some time ago. Add a small servo attached with wire that's attached to a retaining pin and using servo on Ch. 3 to activate it to pull the pin and deploy... ? in theory it would be feasible but I don't know if I would have the guts to test it at 70+ mph lmao.
I’ve thought about that too but never went far. There are a few videos guys have made showing their designs. I’ve got bigger fish

I walk a fine line between over-engineering things and curiousity/boredeom. With my luck the parachute would get caught in the wheels and break it more than it would be saving it.

I walk a fine line between over-engineering things and curiousity/boredeom. With my luck the parachute would get caught in the wheels and break it more than it would be saving it.
Yeah I’ve worried about it not opening and counting on it to be able to stop and have a run away instead.

looks good, now if you could make a new shock tower. The front is a huge air deflector.

So I redesigned it and will show that once this print finishes. Felt confident enough to try my Taulman Alloy 910 nylon finally.

Since this nylon needs to print a 250-260*C which is maxing out my Ender 3 stock hot end I have turned down the print speed a ton, down to 25 mm/s. When manually priming the nozzle it likes to come out like curly fries if you go too fast so until I upgrade my setup to go higher temps I'll take things slow.

Right out of the gate I am impressed with this filament. Had no issues with bed adhesion on glass w/ hair spray and my test print came out way better than expected and it's going to be strong, way better than any PETG I've tried I can already tell just by sample.

Attachments

• 20200424_130222.jpg
    20200424_130222.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200424_130345.jpg
    20200424_130345.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 54
Second attempt and I like it better. Got rid of the front pincher looking things to pull it closer to the body to make it less prone to nose diving and beveled/curved fins a bit to make the lines look more clean and match better to the body lines style wise.

I have a few things I want to adjust in terms of fitment but I think the wing part of it I am happy with for now until I get somewhere to test it once build is complete.

Attachments

• 20200425_135242.jpg
    20200425_135242.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200425_135258.jpg
    20200425_135258.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 68
Second attempt and I like it better. Got rid of the front pincher looking things to pull it closer to the body to make it less prone to nose diving and beveled/curved fins a bit to make the lines look more clean and match better to the body lines style wise.

I have a few things I want to adjust in terms of fitment but I think the wing part of it I am happy with for now until I get somewhere to test it once build is complete.
Love the updates ????

So after some minor adjustments for a better fit I think I am finally happy with it. Added some Typhon and BLX logos too to kinda bling it up a little. I still have to dial in my car in terms of suspension and other build items but if anyone is interested in the STL I can post it later.

@Camaroboy383 dude I love this Alloy 910 nylon. It prints so good and fresh off the printer it's got a lot of stiffness like PETG but feels like it's got more tensile strength than PETG. I found that if you boil the parts after printing you can fine tune to your desired firmness and flexibility. I made arms and boiled about 5 minutes and they have just enough flex/rigid ratio like that of RPM arms. For this last bumper I boiled it for 10 minutes and it's even more flexible and very pliable but more firm than 95A TPU. It's like how a car (real car) tire feels.

Attachments

• 20200501_011507.jpg
    20200501_011507.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200501_005423.jpg
    20200501_005423.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200501_013231.jpg
    20200501_013231.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 62
So after some minor adjustments for a better fit I think I am finally happy with it. Added some Typhon and BLX logos too to kinda bling it up a little. I still have to dial in my car in terms of suspension and other build items but if anyone is interested in the STL I can post it later.

@Camaroboy383 dude I love this Alloy 910 nylon. It prints so good and fresh off the printer it's got a lot of stiffness like PETG but feels like it's got more tensile strength than PETG. I found that if you boil the parts after printing you can fine tune to your desired firmness and flexibility. I made arms and boiled about 5 minutes and they have just enough flex/rigid ratio like that of RPM arms. For this last bumper I boiled it for 10 minutes and it's even more flexible and very pliable but more firm than 95A TPU. It's like how a car (real car) tire feels.

very nice brother! i knew you would like the alloy 910.. its quite the filament..✌

That is quit nice actually. I'd like to print one just maybe with a nylon buffer plate on the bottom for hard braking

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back