Typhon Typhon 3S Speed Run with new PB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Warning ⚠️ the following video is sure to bore the f@ck out of you unless you are really into speed running. Please don’t complain that it’s too long or I didn’t cut it down enough. I left it long to show other noobs like myself all of my mistakes. I’m hoping others can learn the easy way. By not doing it my way. ??‍♂️?

Anyways, if you are still interested, here’s the full video:

New PB of 93 MPH on 6S 29T/37T spool

Brave man!

I tried my Typhon brand new and went straight into a curb and completely destroyed it. At a much lower speed than you.

Congrats.
Yep I’ve done that as well. And a pole. And my foot. And the list goes on.... ?????‍♂️

Warning ⚠ the following video is sure to bore the f@ck out of you unless you are really into speed running. Please don’t complain that it’s too long or I didn’t cut it down enough. I left it long to show other noobs like myself all of my mistakes. I’m hoping others can learn the easy way. By not doing it my way. ??‍♂️?

Anyways, if you are still interested, here’s the full video:

New PB of 93 MPH on 6S 29T/37T spool
Thank you for your time and learning knowledge. We in the hobby know all info is good info!! Great video to me!! Keep at it!! ? ? ?

EDIT: my goodness where are my manners!? Gratz on your new PB there!!!

Last edited:
Omg that was soooooo boring..!!!?
I joke I joke, it was interesting seeing how you overcome the issues you faced and I think the video needed to be long to show the ups and downs of speed running..??
People just don’t post their mess ups and failed runs, and lets be honest there are more mess ups than great runs..!!
Great job ??? Well done with 93mph..!!

I only ever reached 61mph on 3s with my slammed granite before I killed it ??

Bravo ?! Great video my friend... 93 is cooking, congrats! More speed to come brother... pop that thing up over a 100 soon... ? thanks for the shout out... I have some ideas for the front canard I'll toss around on cad and send to you...

You know that beard says 110mph with confidence! Who needs no shave november... (y)??

As an amateur speed runner (61.7mph PB on my Typhon 3S), I’ve always wondered this. For the record I failed physics 25 years ago.

Why drop the spur?

I’m sure the answer is obvious but I don’t know it. Thanks.

The spur tooth count needs to be dropped to obtain faster over all speeds.. if the factory spur was there you can only gear so much through pinion changes.. you will essentially run out of adjustment.. dropping the spur count now gives more room for upping the tooth count on the pinion... approaching 1:1 is going to yeild the most top end speed...

The spur tooth count needs to be dropped to obtain faster over all speeds.. if the factory spur was there you can only gear so much through pinion changes.. you will essentially run out of adjustment.. dropping the spur count now gives more room for upping the tooth count on the pinion... approaching 1:1 is going to yeild the most top end speed...
I hope you’re not annoyed, but can you dumb it down a little further.

Thanks brother.

I hope you’re not annoyed, but can you dumb it down a little further.

Thanks brother.

Absolutely not my friend.. the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked... (y)

Here is a simpler breakdown

Pinion..
higher tooth count = more speed, less torque
Lower tooth count = more torque, less speed

Spur gear..
Higher tooth count = more torque, less speed
Lower tooth count = more speed, less torque

To achieve higher speed we want to approach the actual rpm of the motor.. the motor mounts will only allow you to move the motor over so much with just bigger pinions...you will eventually run out of sliding room in the mount..

To combat that we lower the spur count while adding speed because of the lower tooth count..

The more rpm you can spin the drivetrain the higher the speed that can be achieved..

I hope this makes sense

Absolutely not my friend.. the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked... (y)

Here is a simpler breakdown

Pinion..
higher tooth count = more speed, less torque
Lower tooth count = more torque, less speed

Spur gear..
Higher tooth count = more torque, less speed
Lower tooth count = more speed, less torque

To achieve higher speed we want to approach the actual rpm of the motor.. the motor mounts will only allow you to move the motor over so much with just bigger pinions...you will eventually run out of sliding room in the mount..

To combat that we lower the spur count while adding speed because of the lower tooth count..

The more rpm you can spin the drivetrain the higher the speed that can be achieved..

I hope this makes sense
Dude you’re amazing. THANK YOU.

I asked a friend and he went into rotational physics. I thought I’d ask my buds on here and you came through.

I want to order you a pizza or something. Let me know.

Dude you’re amazing. THANK YOU.

I asked a friend and he went into rotational physics. I thought I’d ask my buds on here and you came through.

I want to order you a pizza or something. Let me know.

No problem brother, that's why we are all here, to help each other learn about the hobby we love and have fun..

:ROFLMAO:, no pizza necessary man.. if you have pizza money drop by and grab yourself a nice arrma forum beanie from woodie...:love: they look awsome! (y)

That’s pretty awesome! Grats man. You’re a lot braver than I am to try for that speed ?

My personal best has been 68 mph with 28/83 gearing with my rustler VXL. I know, not an Arrma. But it’s my go to for speed runs right now.

Attachments

• 34735F6C-1B3C-4CC2-A07F-BE7287F31F7C.jpeg
    34735F6C-1B3C-4CC2-A07F-BE7287F31F7C.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks guys! I started printing a new front airfoil last night. It’s an 18 hour print. Came home from work today to see it got 17 hours in and ran out of filament ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

100 is for sure in reach. I just wish the weather was warmer to get more traction.

Thanks guys! I started printing a new front airfoil last night. It’s an 18 hour print. Came home from work today to see it got 17 hours in and ran out of filament ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

100 is for sure in reach. I just wish the weather was warmer to get more traction.

You can do it, we want to see that vid of you hitting 100!

Well my 30+ hour 3D print just finished...

This carbon fiber PLA is really hairy. Bunch of stringing, but it’s the least of my worries.

Shoutout to @Camaroboy383 for the base design that attaches to the nose of the tower.

74815DE3-D93A-4AD0-9DFB-CFB4F01B846A.jpeg

B934F97C-249A-4A87-94A1-CCC7E38711E7.jpeg

And here are some pics of it on the car. Winglets aren’t epoxied on yet, just a dry fit. But this gives you a feel of the finished product.

6D23D517-1D77-4BE8-A7B0-1EAA64276547.jpeg

EDCFB3A2-5A1A-4493-B236-D47382B069C4.jpeg

CDD64107-8A07-42CA-89D8-80741FE0AB3F.jpeg

CC1A5772-D6A4-41E7-BAFC-F44BC3EB0217.jpeg

Last edited:
Hell yes brother! I like where your headed with that man.. the fur isn't that bad.. your real close on your settings.. as you know I'm sure, just run a heat gun over it quick the whisps will disappear...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back