Typhon typhon 3s tire upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakedd1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
I have a typhon 3s and im burning through tires like crazy. when I say "burning", what I really mean is that they are just falling apart.
I am only driving on grass for the most part but it seems like these stock tires keep getting chewed up within a few rides. To replace these stock tires comes with the rims and they are about $25 for a set of two.

My question is, are the aftermarket tires, such as duratrax or proline, going to be better and last longer than my current stock choice?

You need thicker diff fluid. You are bleed power and blowing tires. Step up the front to 50k and the rear to 20k.

You need thicker diff fluid. You are bleed power and blowing tires. Step up the front to 50k and the rear to 20k.
I’m not sure how thicker fluid will keep my tires from being torn apart by grass.. the tire compound itself is thick and tears easily. Would different tires be better for wear and tear?

I’m not sure how thicker fluid will keep my tires from being torn apart by grass.. the tire compound itself is thick and tears easily. Would different tires be better for wear and tear?
Are the ones getting ruined commonly the fronts? If so you could be "diffing out" and at wide open throttle fronts balloon more as it's set up...and why many add thicker to the front diffs. Easy fix on the 3s and @jondilly1974 is very familiar with this vehicle. If you aren't wide open then there must be something cutting the rubbers.
My V3 6s Typhon eats tires of all kinds because I haven't addressed the diffs. Even two different sets of expensive belted, Proline and Sweep Racing.
Duratrax or Proline buggy tires are both good changes but I'd suggest venting and wrapping with 60# braided fishing line. At least stock costs less and imo they're pretty good tires. Maybe try the Katar B that are stock on the 6s V4?
Vent and wrap though on the next set at least is my suggestion but honestly diffs are easy to deal with on the 3s line and all three precautions should get you in good shape. ?

duratrax lock ups, or triggers.. both are good tires.. i like the lock ups alot.. they seem to wear way slower than the factory tires... the lock ups on the black spoked wheels look very nice on that rig as well...

duratrax lock ups, or triggers.. both are good tires.. i like the lock ups alot.. they seem to wear way slower than the factory tires... the lock ups on the black spoked wheels look very nice on that rig as well...
Lockups are the ones (I think) I finally got to take the 20t on my 6s but I did wrap and vent. I chose them because I bought local and the hobby slop I visited didnt have the Proline in stock.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYKKNZT?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

When your diff fluid is too light, as the 10k stock fluid is, then it sends all the power to the one tire with the least resistance. That tire get all the power, which blows it out.

Another thing is make sure you vent your tires. If you don’t, then water and dirt accumulate inside adding weight and pressure from the inside. This will also blow out a tire.

1. Vent your tires, otherwise sand and water will enter the tire and the added mass will rip the tire.
2. Avoid over throttling when the wheels "diff out", it's just causing damage.
3. The Big-Blocks buggy wheels are a great and very cheap,

I personally wouldn't change the diff oil, you'd have to go much higher to avoid diff-outs which will ruin the handling, and it's simple to avoid by noticing what happens as you drive and react to that. that's my opinion

I've only used the first og set of tires as of now and I'm through maybe 10/12 pack since I bought it?
running on grass, mud and tarmac and the tires are in an OK shape I would say.

Just bought a set of Louise Uphills, still in the box.
Should I vent them?

I know people vent but would just sealing the holes work on this particular tyre? I mean they don't have much air volume to start with and they don't seem to bounce like a larger tyre would, might even reduce ballooning at speed.

I know people vent but would just sealing the holes work on this particular tyre? I mean they don't have much air volume to start with and they don't seem to bounce like a larger tyre would, might even reduce ballooning at speed.
No all tires need vented. Even the limited air inside will be pushed outward at speed if there isn’t a way out.

My tires are vented. And I won’t hit the gas when it’s diff out.
What I am saying is the tire rubber compound is thin. Are other tires better with thicker rubber for better resistance to the elements.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 80
My tires are vented. And I won’t hit the gas when it’s diff out.
What I am saying is the tire rubber compound is thin. Are other tires better with thicker rubber for better resistance to the elements.
I have a set of Duratrax Lockups that have a little more rubber on the treads. Not sure if they would have avoided that split or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back