Typhon Typhon 3S to TruggyPhon 4S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty_Al

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vorteks
I bought a used Typhon 3S a while back off ebay. What sparked my interest in it was that the axles had been converted to take Big Rock wheels. As a bonus the servo had been replaced with a 25kg one.

Once I had given it a good check over and a few shakedown runs, I took to the body with some drywall tape and Shoo Goo and replace the tranmitter receiver with a DumboRC setup, A few months after I replaced the ESC/Motor with a HW Max10SCT 3200kV combo. I also added a wheelie bar. The spur gear was already starting to wear out (super sharp teeth) when i got it. It was driven in a fairly dusty area so dust had worked into the innards. Whilst the shriek it made under full throttle was impressive, it was just a time bomb waiting to let go so I recently replaced that.

With the Big Rock wheels the buggy is surprising forgiving to drive. Sadly the original Typhon wheel and axles were not part of the sale. I ended up getting those parts and drove it for a while with a set of Typhon wheels and also a set of Hoons for some netball court runs. Whilst the Typhon is much nore nimble on the factory wheels, I ended up going back to the Big Rock wheels as the grin factor is much betterer!!
For anyone wanting to do the conversion you need the highlit parts below in additional to the wheels. It only takes a handful of minutes to swap them over, I was thinking of getting an extra set of driveshafts to make it even faster.

1673657353240.png

I have only given it a few runs on 4S and it certainly moves along.

To Do List:
The drive train has held together so far, but I expect I will need to upgrade to some 4S gears in the near future.
I haven't had any issues so far with the motor overheating, but am looking around to see if there are better cooling options available.

I'll add some photos over the weekend.

I recommend the hot racing gears over the stock arrma 4s stuff for sure! stock stuff is monkey metal.

Due to some crappy weather I wasn't able to get out and get some decent pics. Fingers crossed this weekend is better.
I do a few 4S runs on the hard top occasionally and whilst I haven't had any heat issues, I was sorting some parts out today and found a few bits to put this together.

1674205433889.jpeg

I still need to break out the soldering iron and sort the connectors out, but I think it will work out OK. I will get some better fan guards down the track.

20230127_174621.jpg

A quick pic before some weekend runs.

The green decal on the wing was put on when I was bashing with a mate and his Typhon. It made it a bit easier to keep track of.
The Vorteks wheelie bar helps when doing speed runs on 4S.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back