Typhon Typhon 3s upgrade build in progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rixsta911

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
This is going to be an upgrade thread of all the different upgrades I buy and install onto the Typhon 3s. I actually got this smashed up off my buddy and brought it back to stock a while ago.
I'll keep this thread up to date with pics ect of the build, should be fun ?

So let's crack on...

Upgrade 1 (19/4/19)

Those leaky shocks had to go, replaced them with the beefy Typhon 6s V3 ones. I was lucky enough to grab a set that a guy was selling of a new 6s rig. Had to mod the ball joint with a little tubing but apart from that, they are a direct fit, now we have decent suspension.

IMG_20190425_145527.jpg

IMG_20190425_155428.jpg

Upgrade 2 (22/4/19)

Time to widen the whole buggy for more stability, I chose Hot Racing 17mm hex extensions, they add 10mm each side. You need different wheel axles from Granite, Senton ? Something like that, anyway you can see the part numbers here.

IMG_20190430_115032.jpg

Difference between them

IMG_20190430_115405.jpg

IMG_20190430_120422.jpg

These were a pain to fit and like an idiot I forgot to order the M4 locking nuts, so waiting for parts to arrive. I temp fitted them so you can see the difference between the completed rear compared to the front stock width.

To complete this upgrade, I am waiting for 2 more wheel axles and those M4 nuts. (EDIT - No, the nuts are included with the extenders, I just didn't see them :/)
HR 10mm extensions vs stock
IMG_20190430_115727.jpg

Finished the rear..

IMG_20190430_123736.jpg

Nice !

IMG_20190430_132744.jpg

Upgrade 3 (1/5/19)

Well, not really an upgrade, just some mud guards from bitty design sprayed up with some Tamiya Poly Silver and backed with white, put some silver gaffa tape on the back to protect the paint from stone chips.

Got to drill the arms with a 2.5mm drill bit and attach them with some AR721308 screws.

IMG_20190503_134518.jpg

IMG_20190503_213954.jpg

Upgrade 3 Cont....to a finish (7/5/19)

Screws arrived to fit the mud guards, turned out well.

qrn71e.jpg

200936a.jpg

Upgrade 2 Cont... to a finish (11/5/19)

Finally my extra wheel axles came

dw6r20.jpg

All finished, front and rear extended each side by 10mm.

2myrvpz.jpg

Upgrade 4 (14/5/19)

T Bone racing front bumper, rear bumper/wheelie bar and chassis skid plate.

2eb63d5.jpg

Before...

After...

All fitted well, awesome quality, nice.

2jfzjac.jpg

24v1gf9.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking great and I may do what you've done p

I have yet to have a problem with my stock shocks leaking / ,, maybe I'm just lucky.

What other upgrades are you planning? I might change the servo on my typhon 3s...other than that probably just upgrade parts as they break.

What other upgrades are you planning? I might change the servo on my typhon 3s...other than that probably just upgrade parts as they break.
Everything that's possible ha, I'll keep the motor and ESC though, works fine for this buggy. There's a few things I want to try that nobody has done yet, don't want to spoil it by saying anything yet ?

But yes, that servo will be coming out...

Everything that's possible ha, I'll keep the motor and ESC though, works fine for this buggy. There's a few things I want to try that nobody has done yet, don't want to spoil it by saying anything yet ?

But yes, that servo will be coming out...

Cool...look forward to see what you got planned...if I was going to do a project I would do the following:

4s motor/esx swap
New wheels/ tires
New Body
Diff Oil
RPM Arms
Servo/arm
Shocks
Slipper pad
Bearings

Cool...look forward to see what you got planned...if I was going to do a project I would do the following:

4s motor/esx swap
New wheels/ tires
New Body
Diff Oil
RPM Arms
Servo/arm
Shocks
Slipper pad
Bearings
Sounds good but with a 20t pinion I see no need for a different Motor and ESC to run 4s. I'm still on stock but from what I've seen its more than enough with a higher tooth. I have a 20t pinion but waiting on some new sealed bearings before I fit it, not sure about a metal spur gear yet.

Sounds good but with a 20t pinion I see no need for a different Motor and ESC to run 4s. I'm still on stock but from what I've seen its more than enough with a higher tooth. I have a 20t pinion but waiting on some new sealed bearings before I fit it, not sure about a metal spur gear yet.

Agreed...to date...my only upgrade has been 20t, motor fan, and tires...truck has been great. Nonetheless would be interesting to see what happens when you drop in the 4s system and make a street machine.

Agreed...to date...my only upgrade has been 20t, motor fan, and tires...truck has been great. Nonetheless would be interesting to see what happens when you drop in the 4s system and make a street machine.
Ah, yes, with some road tires on 4s that would be crazy with that lightweight buggy. ?

This is going to be an upgrade thread of all the different upgrades I buy and install onto the Typhon 3s. I actually got this smashed up off my buddy and brought it back to stock a while ago.

So let's crack on...

Upgrade 1

Those leaky shocks had to go, replaced them with the beefy Typhon 6s V3 ones. I was lucky enough to grab a set that a guy was selling of a new 6s rig. Had to mod the ball joint with a little tubing but apart from that, they are a direct fit, now we have decent suspension.

View attachment 37293
View attachment 37294
Upgrade 2

Time to widen the whole buggy for more stability, I chose Hot Racing 17mm hex extensions, they add 10mm each side. You need different wheel axles from Granite, Senton ? Something like that, anyway you can see the part numbers here.

View attachment 37296

Difference between them

View attachment 37298
View attachment 37297

These were a pain to fit and like an idiot I forgot to order the M4 locking nuts, so waiting for parts to arrive. I temp fitted them so you can see the difference between the completed rear compared to the front stock width.

To complete this upgrade, I am waiting for 2 more wheel axles and those M4 nuts.
View attachment 37299

Finished (apart from those nuts)

View attachment 37300

Nice !

View attachment 37301

Upgrade 3

Well, not really an upgrade, just some mud guards from bitty design sprayed up with some Tamiya Poly Silver and backed with white, put some silver gaffa tape on the back to protect the paint from stone chips.

Got to drill the arms with a 2.5mm drill bit and attach them with some AR721308 screws.

View attachment 37318
View attachment 37319

Nice!
Now it looks like this is just a list of upgrades you did to your car. So you might want to put an date of the day you apply these upgrades.
Btw, this is an very nice Typhon! ?

Nice!
Now it looks like this is just a list of upgrades you did to your car. So you might want to put an date of the day you apply these upgrades.
Btw, this is an very nice Typhon! ?
Good idea, thanks. All done. More tomorrow, waiting on the postman :)

Yeah, they seems hit n miss ?
I’ve noticed a lot of the 3’s shocks leak. I’ve seen on brand new ones in a couple of hobby shops + my brand new Senton had stains in the box from where they leaked. Local shop says it’s commmon. Most of the time they just weren’t tight enough from the factory - quick and easy to fix. I topped up the shock fluid on all 4 (upgraded to a 60 weight actually) just to keep everything uniform.
Since I tightened them up it’s never been a problem ??

Looks like a whole shipment of parts has gone missing, that's going to delay progress. Not happy :/

Updated post 1.. Mud Guards fitted ?
Nice job on those. Be a shame getting them dirty. :D

Looks like a whole shipment of parts has gone missing, that's going to delay progress. Not happy :/
That's not good, ...still sounds like you're not going to miss out though. Better than not getting the parts, a refund or anything.
Waiting for parts is a pain I know.

So let's crack on...

Upgrade 1 (19/4/19)

View attachment 37293
View attachment 37294

Upgrade 2 (22/4/19)

View attachment 37296

Difference between them

View attachment 37298
View attachment 37297

To complete this upgrade, I am waiting for 2 more wheel axles and those M4 nuts.
View attachment 37299

Finished (apart from those nuts)

View attachment 37300

Nice !

View attachment 37301

Upgrade 3 (1/5/19)

View attachment 37318
View attachment 37319

Upgrade 3 Cont.... (7/5/19)

Screws arrived to fit the mud guards, turned out well.

qrn71e.jpg

200936a.jpg
I just bought the same 17mm hex for my senton. are you saying I need extra screws? cuz i thought they come with thouse

4s motor/esx swap
New wheels/ tires
New Body
Diff Oil
RPM Arms
Servo/arm
Shocks
Slipper pad
Bearings
I've done all the same stuff on my senton 3s. only dif is i put a yeti 3150kv motor and a Hobbywing 8sc ezy run 120amp

I just bought the same 17mm hex for my senton. are you saying I need extra screws? cuz i thought they come with thouse

I've done all the same stuff on my senton 3s. only dif is i put a yeti 3150kv motor and a Hobbywing 8sc ezy run 120amp
No, they don't come with extras but they will be a direct fit for your Senton. Only the Typhon 3s have different wheel axles so you need extra parts, you will be fine though.
Nice job on those. Be a shame getting them dirty. :D

That's not good, ...still sounds like you're not going to miss out though. Better than not getting the parts, a refund or anything.
Waiting for parts is a pain I know.
Yeah the wait is a killer, got so many parts I'm waiting for, those 4mm nuts to finish the wheel extenders are on back order of about 3 weeks. I'll get there eventually lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back