Typhon Typhon 3s vs 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmack024

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Typhon 3s because it's cheaper than the 6s. Is the 6 that much better? First RC car ever. 50/50 yard and street. Just want something fast and fun. Thanks

I mean for a hardcore basher, yeah the 6s will go much faster and jump farther, plus it’ll hold up to more being aluminum. the 3s is a solid car too, but in my opinion once you drive that awhile you’ll be wanting to go to the next level. You can always get the 6s and run a 4s lipo on stock gearing for awhile to get the hang of things before you jump into 6s power.

I hit a road reflector with the Typhon 6s at 90mph and did 30+ cartwheels down the road for a distance around 1/8 mile!
Only thing that broke was the rear hub/carrier. I just can not imagine a 3s 4x4 line holding up so well to something like that.

6s is faster and beefier. 3s is a great first rig tho. Just depends on how long you will be in the hobby and how much you want to spend. I got a 6s here from @joostin420 for $400 shipped. If he still has some, that’s what I would still do again. You can run it on 3S or 4s until you feel capable of 6s.

The 6S is heavy, the 3S is light and is more of a drivers vehicle if that makes sense which requires less maintenance. Can't go wrong either way.
Very new to any of this. When you guys talk maintenance, what are you talking about? What needs maintained. Thx

Very new to any of this. When you guys talk maintenance, what are you talking about? What needs maintained. Thx
Maintenance goes from fixing the truck if you break it to cleaning and re-oiling diffs and shocks. From someone who has worked on both 3s and 6s, if it’s your first truck the 3s is a lot easier to work on and cheaper to buy new parts for. But at the same time the 6s trucks are more durable in the first place so you wouldn’t have to work on them as much. And on the 6s trucks you can run a 4s LiPo instead of the 6s to start to get comfortable with your truck. Then you can go up and get faster with a 6s LiPo

3s would be cheaper than a 6s rig for lipos and parts and theres the chassi who idk if he can bend under hard bashing while a 3s chassi costs arround 15$ a 6s typhon chassi might be 8 times that for example
The typhon 3s is able to handle a 20t pinion and almost hit 60mph if you make sure to cool down your motor with fans
Or get a kraton 4s and convert it into a tyohon 4s?‍♀️ But the 6 typhon if you have the money mig be the better choice

I was in a very similar position and went for the 6S but with a 4S battery. There are quite a few improvements in terms of components and I preferred the idea of having something that I can upgrade in terms of speed with just a battery change later on.

Ask yourself this - are you the sort of person who would buy the 3S and have buyer's remorse pretty soon if you loved the 3S but wished you'd bought the 6S? I know I am so I just went for the 6S to begin with. It's more buggy than I need right now but that means I should be able to have more fun before I outgrow it (if that ever happens!).

You all have good points?, but in my opinion I think you should go with the 3s Typhon, parts are cheaper, batteries are cheaper, ect. On The 3s typhon maintenance is breeze, the car just falls apart with the removal of a few screws, not saying the 6s is difficult to maintain, the 3s is just easier in comparison. And as a first timer in the hobby you don’t wanna dump a bunch of money on something only to not like it in the future. You can always get the 6s in the future and then you have 2??. Whatever you choose you will love it!!!??

Consider initial investment, maintenance, charger and lipos for either. 3s cheaper all way around to get into and 3s line are quick. 6s, more maintenance and parts cost, plus more initial investment. By reading your 1st post it seems 3s is the way to go for you.

Its funny how people say the 6s rigs are more durable than the 1/10 range but from my experience, my 6s Kraton breaks more than both my BRCC and sons Senton mega put together. Not hating on 6s, I love it. But i have broken the 6s more and requires more maintenance than its smaller brothers. I personally would be happy with either 3s or 6s Typhon but as people have said above 3s is a more low cost platform. Initial cost and maintenance cost is lower. Easier to work on too and still plenty fast and heaps of fun.

Last edited:
3s would be cheaper than a 6s rig for lipos and parts and theres the chassi who idk if he can bend under hard bashing while a 3s chassi costs arround 15$ a 6s typhon chassi might be 8 times that for example
The typhon 3s is able to handle a 20t pinion and almost hit 60mph if you make sure to cool down your motor with fans
Or get a kraton 4s and convert it into a tyohon 4s?‍♀️ But the 6 typhon if you have the money mig be the better choice

While I do agree with you on 3s being cheaper to maintain all around, a 6s typhon chassis from Jenny’s is only about 8 bucks lol. just sayin ??

Its funny how people say the 6s rigs are more durable than the 1/10 range but from my experience, my 6s Kraton breaks more than both my BRCC and sons Senton mega put together. Not hating on 6s, I love it. But i have broken the 6s more and requires more maintenance than its smaller brothers. I personally would be happy with either 3s or 6s Typhon but as people have said above 3s is a more low cost platform. Initial cost and maintenance cost is lower. Easier to work on too and still plenty fast and heaps of fun.

The Kraton is the heaviest of the 6S line though and so probably has a lower strength to weight ratio than the rest.. especially the Typhon.

I have only ever broken a single front suspension mount bolt in my 6S Typhon in 6 months of putting 4 packs through it on my local bmx course every weekend.. I was expecting to break stuff every outing but no... Its toughness has really amazed me.

As a first RC with no experience, maybe the 3S is the sensible intro for the OP.

The Kraton is the heaviest of the 6S line though and so probably has a lower strength to weight ratio than the rest.. especially the Typhon.

I have only ever broken a single front suspension mount bolt in my 6S Typhon in 6 months of putting 4 packs through it on my local bmx course every weekend.. I was expecting to break stuff every outing but no... Its toughness has really amazed me.

As a first RC with no experience, maybe the 3S is the sensible intro for the OP.

Yeah I’ve only ever broken anything on my 6s kraton when I’ve landed wrong, user error. The big size and weight definitely cause more damage than a smaller lighter 1/10 scale will suffer. I’ve been launching the hell out of my 6s rigs with minimal, minor damage now that I’m better at controlling them. So maybe 3s is the way to go for a novice but if you’re like me you’ll quickly outgrow what the 3s can do and be wanting a 6s in no time. Buy once cry once ??‍♂️

Yeah I’ve only ever broken anything on my 6s kraton when I’ve landed wrong, user error. The big size and weight definitely cause more damage than a smaller lighter 1/10 scale will suffer. I’ve been launching the hell out of my 6s rigs with minimal, minor damage now that I’m better at controlling them. So maybe 3s is the way to go for a novice but if you’re like me you’ll quickly outgrow what the 3s can do and be wanting a 6s in no time. Buy once cry once ??‍♂️

It definately does make more sense to just go with 6S but only if you are sure you are not just dipping your toes in the water, have some technical aptitude and prepared to put some hours into learning about setup, maintenance and how to change things out.
Its impossible to know all these things about the OP so I've chosen to er on the side of caution in reccomending the 3S line.

If the OP has these atributes and knows he is not just trying out RC for a flash in the pan experience then by all means.. 6S.

Good point

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back