Typhon Typhon 3s vs 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the Typhon 3s because it's cheaper than the 6s. Is the 6 that much better? First RC car ever. 50/50 yard and street. Just want something fast and fun. Thanks
While I'm at it, where is the best and cheapest to get batteries and a charger? Not looking to break the bank but don't want to burn the house down with cheap batteries. If I get a 6s at a good price I'll use 4s batteries to start. Thanks guys. Y'all are really helpful

where is the best and cheapest to get batteries and a charger?
That's a subjective question and everyone will have a different answer. They're are so many chargers and lipo brands to choose from and places to buy them it's almost endless. You have to do your own homework and decide for yourself.

What do you intend to run, what number of cells are you looking for, single or dual packs, how many amps do you want or need to charge, single, dual, quad charger, etc. etc.

I can tell you what I have, others may not like what I have, either lipos, charger, or both. Do a search on here or look into electronics section, there is a very long thread, help me choose the right charger, or something to that nature, good luck with your decision.

That's a subjective question and everyone will have a different answer. They're are so many chargers and lipo brands to choose from and places to buy them it's almost endless. You have to do your own homework and decide for yourself.

What do you intend to run, what number of cells are you looking for, single or dual packs, how many amps do you want or need to charge, single, dual, quad charger, etc. etc.

I can tell you what I have, others may not like what I have, either lipos, charger, or both. Do a search on here or look into electronics section, there is a very long thread, help me choose the right charger, or something to that nature, good luck with your decision.
Thanks.

I initially bought the 3s Typhon and it was fun, but went ahead and bought the 6s Typhon a couple of months later. I already had an Outcast 6s, so I felt that it needed a 6s partner. But for me it was different, since it wasn't my first Arrma. If it was, I would have gone with the 6s from the start. I actually run my Typhon 6s on 4s battery packs and it's still very very fast. Good luck with your decision.

Awanfi are a good cheap lipos
I initially bought the 3s Typhon and it was fun, but went ahead and bought the 6s Typhon a couple of months later. I already had an Outcast 6s, so I felt that it needed a 6s partner. But for me it was different, since it wasn't my first Arrma. If it was, I would have gone with the 6s from the start. I actually run my Typhon 6s on 4s battery packs and it's still very very fast. Good luck with your decision.
The main differance is the center system the typhon 6s has 3 diffs while the 3s one has 2 diffs so they are going to be completly differant in handling and in other departments

Awanfi are a good cheap lipos

The main differance is the center system the typhon 6s has 3 diffs while the 3s one has 2 diffs so they are going to be completly differant in handling and in other departments

Yep, the 3S has very knife edge balance on the turn, looks a lot more snappy. The speed performance difference between both wont be that huge out the box though.
The 6S is definately tougher, has more handling tuneability via centre diff tuning and a lot more scope for handling more power.. but is heavier and more expensive... Lipos and parts will typically also be more expensive too.
The 3S definately has its merits though and probably the more fun option in small tight bashing areas due to its lower weight.

I’m in the exact same predicament, the Typhon will be my next buy. 3s or 6s,? For me it’s more down to my character that’s going to make the decision for me. When ever I bought a motorcycle that I’d narrowed the choices down on to say two models I found that getting the fastest one of the two was my way of avoiding buyers remorse, I’m not talking of a few mph but a significant amount, I would always come to wish I’d gone with the extra mph, and more trick parts than the sensible choice. That won’t work for all but that’s my reasoning behind the 6s choice.
Damn I’ve not yet got used to 3s but I’m just not a sensible person.

Same here, I went for the 6S largely because I knew I'd love the 3S and want the 6S almost immediately so I might as well just dive straight in (with a 4S battery so my first crash is just expensive rather than requiring a second mortgage).

That said, there's no bad choice here, they're both excellent :)

Looking at the Typhon 3s because it's cheaper than the 6s. Is the 6 that much better? First RC car ever. 50/50 yard and street. Just want something fast and fun. Thanks
I bought the 3S, like many, cause I thought it would be cheaper. However in 3 months, found myself doing constant upgrades, and repairs (Metal Spur gear, Slipper Clutch, and rear diff, and suspension arms)($ 175 ). Not saying the 6S wouldn't require upgrades, but rest assured within 8 packs ran through 3S, you will be buying parts, tools, and upgrades. If looking long term, just get the 6S, and slowly as can afford, still buy upgrades (Suspension Stuff). I find the motors, esc to be sufficient, but servos are lack luster on about all RTR RC.

The 3s line is fun for a minute. There is a huge disparity in quality between the 3s and 6s rigs. Just skip to the chase and buy whatever 6s Arrma you fancy. You’ll end up doing it anyway, might as well save the money and do it first.

I was about to add my thoughts to this thread then realised how old it is and I have already commented. I'm sure the OP has already decided what he wants and probably has a fleet now. 😆

While I do agree with you on 3s being cheaper to maintain all around, a 6s typhon chassis from Jenny’s is only about 8 bucks lol. just sayin ??
For me it's not really the cost of the chassis, but that 100% breakdown is a heck a chore for a new person. Keep in mind the 8S Kraton also has a composite chassis (food for thought)
The 3s line is fun for a minute. There is a huge disparity in quality between the 3s and 6s rigs. Just skip to the chase and buy whatever 6s Arrma you fancy. You’ll end up doing it anyway, might as well save the money and do it first.
Oddly enough, I have a Vorteks, which was 3S when bought, have spent $300 in upgrades over time, and with the 3S batteries will still give most 6S around here, one he'll of a run for thier money, and only running 3S batteries, on a 6S chassis for the most part.

Donald Duck Lol GIF

Guys, this member has a total of 17 posts last seen January 25th 2020 exactly 1 month after joining. My guess is that problem solved.

I just bought one of each. 1st the 3S, then the 6S. I was planning on a platform for a fun build, a place to start. Quickly realized that the 6S was a Bargain! Its like you don't buy a New Ford Mustang with a EcoBoost to then put a V8 in it. You just buy the model with the V8 to start off with then upgrade from there. Also they sort of are and certainly "can be" different classes of Beasts. In a Nut Shell (how did I get in this nut shell, who put me in here?) The 6S can be a Kraton if you want but the 3S cant. But the 3S can be a great street car/buggy/whatever.

I like them BOTH! Way better than the Buggies from the past! Way better and cheaper!

I work at home and when I see my front street empty, I go OUT and run them up and down the block. The 3S is perfect for that while the 6S is too unruly. Its too fast for my block while the 3S is okay :) although I had my 3S up to 75mph out front today :giggle: My retired neighbors thinks its hilarious!

Out at the Park the 6S is insane! An unruly beast of a machine. Light, Fast and Powerful.

The controllers are equally just okay. They need gyros. The servos are equally bad and the tires are hardly any different.
I replaced them both nearly immediately. But you don't have to.

They are different cars. They don't share many parts.
Very new to any of this. When you guys talk maintenance, what are you talking about? What needs maintained. Thx
Imagine the 3S is a Honda Civic SI and the 6S a Dodge Charger Hemi 392.

Tires, tires, gear oil, parts, tires, more parts and did I mention tires?

Last edited:
Typhon 3s is the only rig out of the 14 I have that I regret. Like others have mentioned, I've ended up putting a lot of money into it and it's still a problem. I just replaced the rear diff with metal gears and now it seems like the front is messed up too. To make it even worse, I put in a tp 4040 3700kv and it has basically made 2 different esc's go pop. A mm2 and a 150a spektrum. I'm surprised there wasn't flames tbh and it still smells like burnt electronic nastiness.

When it works its actually fun to drive. Even though mine is a lot heavier than a stock typhon 3s it's still lighter than my typhon 6s. I'm going to replace front diff with metal gears and case, get my esc's back from warranty and then I'm sooo done spending money on this rig. If it breaks again I'm going to take it outside and jump on it.

Tos os
Typhon 3s is the only rig out of the 14 I have that I regret. Like others have mentioned, I've ended up putting a lot of money into it and it's still a problem. I just replaced the rear diff with metal gears and now it seems like the front is messed up too. To make it even worse, I put in a tp 4040 3700kv and it has basically made 2 different esc's go pop. A mm2 and a 150a spektrum. I'm surprised there wasn't flames tbh and it still smells like burnt electronic nastiness.

When it works its actually fun to drive. Even though mine is a lot heavier than a stock typhon 3s it's still lighter than my typhon 6s. I'm going to replace front diff with metal gears and case, get my esc's back from warranty and then I'm sooo done spending money on this rig. If it breaks again I'm going to take it outside and jump on it.

This is exactly how I feel about mine. Everytime I take it out, something breaks on it. I have a metal diff in the rear, but my rear driveshaft keeps popping out. I just took both diffs apart and refilled them with 10,000wt fluid. I'm waiting on some aluminum cvd driveshafts from ebay then I'm selling this poc. This car is almost causing me to quit this hobby. It's the only rc I have so I can't decide if I'll use that money towards a 6s or something else. I've put more money in this thing in the past 2 years to buy a 6s vehicle.

Tos os

This is exactly how I feel about mine. Everytime I take it out, something breaks on it. I have a metal diff in the rear, but my rear driveshaft keeps popping out. I just took both diffs apart and refilled them with 10,000wt fluid. I'm waiting on some aluminum cvd driveshafts from ebay then I'm selling this poc. This car is almost causing me to quit this hobby. It's the only rc I have so I can't decide if I'll use that money towards a 6s or something else. I've put more money in this thing in the past 2 years to buy a 6s vehicle.
the 6s version is definitely better in every single way. When we got into the hobby last October I got myself a talion exb and the wifey the 3s typhon just because I foolishly thought it would be better for her. About a month later I got a TLR typhon and her a v5 typhon from someone here on the forums and she liked it more lol. Made me feel real stupid wasting that money on it. :ROFLMAO:

Typhon 6s is a tank. It is a great platform. If you are hard on the 3s line or not a good driver you will have to work on them a lot. I have $1100 in my Granite and still cringe a little on every jump. My Typhon and Outcast are stock and I send them to the moon regularly. It all depends on how you drive. I’m just sick of messing with slipper clutches so I probably won’t buy any of the plastic chassis cars anymore.

My wife’s Vorteks is totaled from crashes. I have wrecked my 6s Typhon much harder than the wrecks the Vorteks has been thru. Gonna find her something from the 6s line and see how that goes.

My 3s Senton has been wonderful tho but I don’t jump it like I do the others.

After I sell my 3s, I will probably take a break from the hobby for a while. I'll keep all my batteries and chargers and spare parts that I think I'll need for a 6s vehicle that I may buy down the road. I rarely find the time to drive it anywhere but in front of my house in the street for a few minutes.

Typhon 6s is a tank. It is a great platform. If you are hard on the 3s line or not a good driver you will have to work on them a lot. I have $1100 in my Granite and still cringe a little on every jump. My Typhon and Outcast are stock and I send them to the moon regularly. It all depends on how you drive. I’m just sick of messing with slipper clutches so I probably won’t buy any of the plastic chassis cars anymore.

My wife’s Vorteks is totaled from crashes. I have wrecked my 6s Typhon much harder than the wrecks the Vorteks has been thru. Gonna find her something from the 6s line and see how that goes.

My 3s Senton has been wonderful tho but I don’t jump it like I do the others.

Ive been thinking while playing that the Typhon 3S is actually Faster than the 6S Typhon. I mean it rips across the road and cut grass fields very quickly. Ive been GPSing it at 70-75 mph on a 100C within the first 10 minutes. Then upper 60's till its done.

The 6S is way more powerful, not much heaver and I Cant get it to go nearly as fast because its overpowered! Mid 60's is about all I can get it to do consistently with a 16-20t pinion(s) and im at 1/2 - 2/3 throttle. Occisionally on the right lawn with the stock tires, I can get near full throttle and in the 70's. Because the stock tires just spin up at high speed. It wants to go faster, just cant.

Yet the 3S does it easily, all day long.
BUT, as you said. I Cringe often!! I took out parts of the suspension a few times hitting stuff and you know... Its MY fault, I broke it but the 6S has taken MUCH BIGGER beatings and doesn't care much. Its a beast for Bashing mostly and not really a Buggy. The 3S IS a Buggy thats good both off and on road. Just not so Off and light on the bashing - please.

But the 3S Typhon is allot of fun and Damn Quick!!
I would not get rid of it. If I had to choose, Id likely take it over the 6S.

Id like the Vendetta, Im sure.

And thats why i'm slowly turing the 6S Typhon into a Kraton - I should have just bought a Kraton. But I LOVED the 3S Typhon and had it first. The 6S is not a Bigger Better Typhon. it's a different vehicle. Different purpose. How im seeing it.

And I Really want the 8S Kraton, not the 6S so live and learn.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back