Typhon Typhon 3S vs 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipSide

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
We got a shortened bashing session again due to the Granite breaking half way throught the 1st pack. This sucks because when that happens, (1) it shortens the session, (2) my son wants me to hand him my Kraton, and (3) I'll have to discharge his batteries to reach the storage voltage and that takes forever.

For these reason, I am thinking more and more about getting another car as a backup for when this situation happens.

I think the most logical solution for the "battery storage" aspect would be to buy another 3S. It would also be a nice addition for driving in thighter spaces, where I don't even bother taking the Kraton out.
- Buying a 2nd Granite would make sense, as I'd need to stock less spare parts, but I think it may be a bit boring to have the same truck in double.
- Buying a BRCC could also make sense, as it seems to be awesome, but I view it as a mini-Kraton and I already have a Kraton 6S.
- Buying a Typhon 3S would be a different experience, so that's cool. I also like the 17mm hexes, so that allows for more wheels options out of the box.

On the other hand, my heart tells me the best addition I could make to my fleet would be a truggyfied Typhon 6S. I love the 6S line, I prefer center diffs to slippers and truggyfied Typhons seems like a total blast. I would set it up with spiral diffs and Kraton hubs, so that would cut on a bit on the spare parts inventory. The downsides I see for the Typhon 6S scenario is that it wouldn't solve my single-3S battery discharging issue and, like the Kraton, it is another car that needs wide-open space to be properly driven.

The Mojave look awesome as well, but I am looking for something smaller.

Sorry about the long post. I am playing with all options in my head and I am up to the point that I need other people's ideas to progress. I am in no rush, as it is a purchase I'd make in a few months at the earliest, but I can't really stop thinking about it (I'm sure most of you know the feeling... ;) )

Those of you having multiple Arrmas, what would you recommend?

Those of you owning a 3S and 6S Typhons, what do you have to say about this? are there situaitons where you prefer the 3S to the 6S?

Thanks!

I love my Typhon 3S! Even with a lot of shared parts, it'll be a very different driving style to the Granite and you could still truggify it. There's still a lot of wheel/tyre choices because of it's 17mm hex (I wish the others in the 3S line came with these). As it'll be a backup car you'll get a cheaper and lighter weight buggy over the 6S. Logically, this'll be the one I'd choose

You'll still have the Kraton for the 6S power ?

I think u should get a 4s! It has center diffs and more upgrades!
I think 4S line has a slipper clutch, no? It is true however that the 4S line is due to be updated soon. There may be some nice surprises that will make me consider them. A center-diff design would certainly be welcome! :)
I love my Typhon 3S! Even with a lot of shared parts, it'll be a very different driving style to the Granite and you could still truggify it. There's still a lot of wheel/tyre choices because of it's 17mm hex (I wish the others in the 3S line came with these). As it'll be a backup car you'll get a cheaper and lighter weight buggy over the 6S. Logically, this'll be the one I'd choose

You'll still have the Kraton for the 6S power ?
Thanks! I appreciate your answer!

I agree with you it's probably the most logical choice.

How stable is the Typhon 3S at full speed on the dirt? I am always surprised at how light the Granite feels compared to the Kraton. I guess the Typhon 3S feels even lighter! Not sure if this is good or bad...?

Last edited:
I think 4S line has a slipper clutch, no? It is true however that the 4S line is due to be updated soon. There may be some nice surprises that will make me consider them. A center-diff design would certainly be welcome! :)

Thanks! I appreciate your answer!

I agree with you it's probably the most logical choice.

How stable is the Typhon 3S at full speed on the dirt? I am always surprised at how light the Granite feels compared to the Kraton. I guess the Typhon 3S feels even lighter! Not sure if this is good or bad...?
Just to clarify, I don't have a Granite, but it will still feel nose heavier than the Granite because of it's longer wheelbase. It's a very stable car, although at high off-road speeds the 6S will probably be more stable because of it's weight

1. Get a Typhon 6S. Run it on 3S ( no issue BTW) will be very durable running 3S. A Typhon 6S rig. Wont even break mid session on 3s having no need to worry about discharging a half used lipo. I feel although some more $$, the Typhon 6S rig has good bang for the buck compared to all the other 6S rigs. And I have all the other ones already. Just not the Typhon 6S. I am leaning towards it as my very next rig. Then as you grow into RC more and more with the Typhon 6S, step up to 4S then 6S. 6S can be run with (2) 3s obviously. Sometimes I run 3S and 4s in my 6s rigs when space is tight. Its still fun believe it or not.

2. Just get yourself a dedicated Lipo discharger. I have 2 types on hand. Beneficial for many times. Seems that your overwhelming problem is caring for the Lipos?? Being practical. And you are correct in this in this regard. (y)
Just my quick thoughts.

iSDT FD-200 8S Smart LiPo Discharger (25A/200W) [ISD-FD-200] | Cars & Trucks - AMain Hobbies

ISDT FD-100 Smart Discharger (racedayquads.com)

I have the FD 200 model. Most of my packs are 6s bricks. But The FD100 is fine also. Quick discharges. doesn't take forever. These chargers are pretty much set and forget. Brings all types of lipos down to 3.8 volts/cell (storage volts). And shuts off. Pretty safe.

You can do both #1 and #2. But #2 alone maybe the answer. Dischargers are just a must have RC Lipo tool to preserve lipos.
All my 6s rigs run on 3S just fine. Albeit slower. But just as fun. Try it on your K6S. If you haven't already???
>>>>If I have an odd 3S pack unused because of some unforseen carnage on one rig. I would rather bash that 3S in my 6S with what's remaining. Enjoy the drive. Rather than storage discharge it in a device. Its a waste of a Lipo cycle. Every charge and discharge (1 cycle) should count. Lipos are not endless. They are rechargeable only X amount of times.

Last edited:
I use my Outcast 6s to run down my 4s battery sometimes, and it is still pretty fast. A Typhon 6s weighs less than the Outcast, so it should be fun on 3s if you gear it up a little.

1. Get a Typhon 6S. Run it on 3S ( no issue BTW) will be very durable running 3S. A Typhon 6S rig. Wont even break mid session on 3s having no need to worry about discharging a half used lipo. I feel although some more $$, the Typhon 6S rig has good bang for the buck compared to all the other 6S rigs. And I have all the other ones already. Just not the Typhon 6S. I am leaning towards it as my very next rig. Then as you grow into RC more and more with the Typhon 6S, step up to 4S then 6S. 6S can be run with (2) 3s obviously. Sometimes I run 3S and 4s in my 6s rigs when space is tight. Its still fun believe it or not.

2. Just get yourself a dedicated Lipo discharger. I have 2 types on hand. Beneficial for many times. Seems that your overwhelming problem is caring for the Lipos?? Being practical. And you are correct in this in this regard. (y)
Just my quick thoughts.

iSDT FD-200 8S Smart LiPo Discharger (25A/200W) [ISD-FD-200] | Cars & Trucks - AMain Hobbies

ISDT FD-100 Smart Discharger (racedayquads.com)

I have the FD 200 model. Most of my packs are 6s bricks. But The FD100 is fine also. Quick discharges. doesn't take forever. These chargers are pretty much set and forget. Brings all types of lipos down to 3.8 volts/cell (storage volts). And shuts off. Pretty safe.

You can do both #1 and #2. But #2 alone maybe the answer. Dischargers are just a must have RC Lipo tool to preserve lipos.
All my 6s rigs run on 3S just fine. Albeit slower. But just as fun. Try it on your K6S. If you haven't already???
Yes, I thought also that a discharger may be needed eventually. I would say my main pain point is to partly ruin a bashing session due to a broken car. For discharging, it's not a big deal right now. I use my SkyRC charger on a non-flammable table away from everything outside in the yard. I don't really care about it that much...I just have a look at it from time to time. I am also migrating to Spektrum Smart batteries, and their self-storage feature could prove to be useful in that regard.

Re: Running a 6S car on a single 3S battery. No, I have never tried it. I thought I read somewhere that it could be bad for the battery and reduce its lifetime expectancy. Was that information wrong?

Thanks!

The specs for my stock BLX185 6S ESC state 3S-6S. And my HW XR8 6S the same.
I go by the ESC's manual. That's what I follow.:)
Don't follow anyones advice regarding this. Or wherever you read about this. Even mine.
Verify first what anyone else says, so you feel comfortable with the answer. The manual wiil state what is appropriate. I speak from exper. But always verify it. I am just telling you where the info is.:cool:

Last edited:
Don't fight the urge to get the Typhon 6S. You won't regret it.

When I was asking on the forum ~1 year ago which car to buy, someone replied something like: "Get a Kraton 6S. You'll end up with one no matter what, so you might as well save some time and get one right away." :ROFLMAO:

It was a great advice and I feel your answer is along the same lines! ;)

Everyone who thinks about a 6S Arrma gets one 99% of the time. I feel Arrma's strength and reputation comes from their 6S lineup. And they have made many revisions and additions to that lineup in the past few years. I think it took HH a bit of work to get settled with the purchase of Arrma from Hobbico and now its full steam ahead. :cool:

I just read in another thread that the Typhon 6S cannot accept 2 hardcase 3S batteries to run 6S. From the specs on Arrma’s website, it seems to be the acceptable battery stack height that is limited on the Typhon (51mm vs 70mm on the Kraton). I guess it is the lower Typhon body that limits the battery size?

That is not necessarily a show stopper, but it is a big turn off for me. I’m really looking for a car in which I will be able to use my existing batteries.

What’s everybody running in their T6S? 4S hardcase or 6S softcase?

Thanks!

I just read in another thread that the Typhon 6S cannot accept 2 hardcase 3S batteries to run 6S. From the specs on Arrma’s website, it seems to be the acceptable battery stack height that is limited on the Typhon (51mm vs 70mm on the Kraton). I guess it is the lower Typhon body that limits the battery size?

That is not necessarily a show stopper, but it is a big turn off for me. I’m really looking for a car in which I will be able to use my existing batteries.

What’s everybody running in their T6S? 4S hardcase or 6S softcase?

Thanks!
You can always raise the rear body posts.

Don't let the Typhon's lower, tight fitting Body throw you off. Its a buggy by design. Sure it sits lower. How can that possibly be a deal breaker? Running 4S in it will be fast also using a taller gearing (larger pinion). You have the Batt tray dimensions in hand, sort out finding a good lipo setup . That's half the battle. From where I'm sitting most guys run softpacks anyway. The trend might be changing because more and more brands are offering hardcase. But dimensions become tighter. I don't feel constrained to use hardpacks. But I do have both. And as reality has it, my hardcase lipos are not my best performing lipos FWIW. I also find HC lipos always carry a premium price tag, that rarely correlates with better performance. Not to say there are no great ones out there .Ultimately your decision.

Last edited:
Not a deal breaker, I totally agree. I just would have prefered avoiding the purchase of new batteries. I like the idea of having only 3S packs and being able to use them in any car I own. The other option would be to change the buggy body for a truck body.

If you want a 4s, I've heared the MAXX is way better (but more expensive) than what ARRMA has to offer. You could also go for another 1:8 6s. Also, maybe the Traxxas 1:10 lineup coulb be something to look into. I've only broken my slash twice, and that was when doing high jumps and crashes

If you want a 4s, I've heared the MAXX is way better (but more expensive) than what ARRMA has to offer. You could also go for another 1:8 6s. Also, maybe the Traxxas 1:10 lineup coulb be something to look into. I've only broken my slash twice, and that was when doing high jumps and crashes

Thanks! Good suggestions, but I really want something smaller than my Kraton and I also prefer staying with Arrma in order to minimize the spare parts I need to keep at home.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back