Typhon 3s wheel or suspension slop help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prime2twenty

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
The amount of play in the front wheels/suspension is horrendous and honestly keeps getting worse……i drive my typhon pretty hard but need some ideas on how to reduce the slop a little. It seems to be in the wheel hub and pillow balls but i can’t seem to find anything specific to fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i I just got back into the hobby and am not used to having issues like this

ton's of info on this allready on here. u can use the hr pivot ball's that will help some.

Honestly after going down this road with both of mine I gave up trying to eliminate the slop because the plastic wears out so fast that it just comes back after a few runs anyway. You will chase unicorns trying to eliminate the slop in these rigs. You can upgrade to the Hot Racing pivot balls but then the rod ends wear out. You can shim the wheels and the steering bellcrank but the slop will come back.

^^^ This.
I used Teflon tape inside the rods ends. And pop the balls back in. It will reduce most. Just a quick fix. All the slop cannot be eliminated. These are basher rigs. Not so important. 6s rigs the same. Slop all over.
My speed runners get more attention in this regard. More critical IMO. My off roads I don't get crazy anymore.

^^^ This.
I used Teflon tape inside the rods ends. And pop the balls back in. It will reduce most. Just a quick fix. All the slop cannot be eliminated. These are basher rigs. Not so important. 6s rigs the same. Slop all over.
My speed runners get more attention in this regard. More critical IMO. My off roads I don't get crazy anymore.
Even the race kits have some or develop slop over time too. The parts just wear out over time like the parts in real cars.

I've had good luck with the hr pivot ball set, but as mentioned you will need new rod ends. It's the plastic on plastic that's working like sand paper.

I've run my rigs through dozens of packs, and I'm not soft on my bashers, and the rod ends are still tight with the hr pivot balls.

This tightened up my steering quite a bit, plenty for off road bashing.

Thank you everyone for the replies, i do understand that there will/need to be some play but it seems excessive on my rig….i mainly run my typhon on asphalt only so a few of the recommendation’s will def help out

Thank you everyone for the replies, i do understand that there will/need to be some play but it seems excessive on my rig….i mainly run my typhon on asphalt only so a few of the recommendation’s will def help out
Ive had that problem and I figured it out its a number of things on the front end but for me i got the integy steering bell crank with gpm tierods that alone will eliminate a huge deal of slop i also have the gpm front hub assembly currently on its way to me so I'll update this once i get them but those two parts alone you will see a huge huge difference others may disagree and have there opinion

I use the Traxxas 5525 tie rod ends which have steel balls installed. This eliminated a fair bit of slop in both my 3s rigs, plus they do not wear out any where near as often as the crappy plastic pivot balls, or the HR aluminum pivots balls.

I use the Traxxas 5525 tie rod ends which have steel balls installed. This eliminated a fair bit of slop in both my 3s rigs, plus they do not wear out any where near as often as the crappy plastic pivot balls, or the HR aluminum pivots balls.
Those are the 1s with the hollow ball correct? Im trying to get a parts list put together so i can purchase everything at one time

Those are the 1s with the hollow ball correct? Im trying to get a parts list put together so i can purchase everything at one time
Yeah, the pivot ball is narrower than the stock pivot balls, so a spacer or some washers are need to take up the slack, but they work well for me.

_20210907_145743.JPG

You could kill 2 birds with one stone and just run the Traxxas 3643 https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-3643-Turnbuckles-Camber-Link/dp/B000SU3VF8 turnbuckles on the Typhon and BRRC to eliminate the stock ones as they always bend or break. I am not sure what ones would fit the Granite, Senton or Vortex though as Traxxas doesn't make a 34mm turnbuckle with long rod ends on it.

Yeah, the pivot ball is narrower than the stock pivot balls, so a spacer or some washers are need to take up the slack, but they work well for me.

View attachment 167844

I use these on my 3s Senton race truck. I suggest ordering two packs of this part number. The end links are numbered, and the ball width corresponds to the number. I tried using the larger balls on the outer camber links and toe links.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back