Typhon Typhon 3s with BLX 120

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacktavious

ora et labora
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Typhon 3s
Hello,
Has anyone put a 4s BLX120 in their 3s Typhon? I am getting ready to buy a 3s Typhon, and I have a BLX120 set up setting around. I was going to get the adjustable motor mount, the steel spur gear, and give it a try? Just wondering if there is anything other than the slipper I should consider upgrading.

Hello,
Has anyone put a 4s BLX120 in their 3s Typhon? I am getting ready to buy a 3s Typhon, and I have a BLX120 set up setting around. I was going to get the adjustable motor mount, the steel spur gear, and give it a try? Just wondering if there is anything other than the slipper I should consider upgrading.

@jondilly1974 I believe can give great help and direction on mods for the 3s Typhon. Hopefully he'll notice and chime in.

Welcome to the forum. You're in the right place and you've chosen an awesome vehicle???

Tighten down the slipper just a little bit more and send it.
It will take it relatively well because of its lighter weight.

The slipper clutch is fine stock if your running 3s if your running 4s then just get the 4s pads the typhon on 3s is plenty if your going 4s you will need to change the pinion. Get the arrma adjustable mount i had cheese luck with hot racing not only their motor mount but products in general. If your running the blx 120 only on 3s should be the same thing as the blx 100 but will be considerably cooler
And spur gear i don't think its necessary in my case my pinions always kinda wear out a bit becaus ethe spur steel is harder than the pinion keep the plastic one it should be completly fine and if you ever strip it its 5$ repair. If you set your gearmesh correctly you should not have any issues
My kraton 4s is quieter when going backwards but considerably louder fowards when standing in the air so when i do my testing inaide my house i always go backwards instead of fowards because it makes a bit too much noise because of the pinion wear in one side
Im not saying the pinion are bad they just break down a bit and they stay like that i have my old pinion and it looks the same as the one i remplaced a few months ago

If your running the blx 120 only on 3s should be the same thing as the blx 100 but will be considerably cooler
No, The 4s motor is 2400kv vs the 3100kv of the 3s, meaning that the 4s system on 4s will be the same speed as the 3s on 3s.

All in all i'm not sure it worth it, you'll not gain speed - only torque, which the Typhon is not missing with the 3s system since it's fairly light.

I have used the BLX120 & 2400kv combo for quite a while now. At first I had issues with the spur and slipper. Changed that out for the 4S slipper assembly with the steel spur. Then I was popping u-joints in the driveshafts. Found out my slipper was too tight. Figured out a method for setting the slipper tightness that works for me. No more issues. You will want to make sure to watch your temps and adjust your pinion size and possibly upgrade your fans. I run mine on 18T with the stock motor and ESC fan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back