Typhon Typhon 4S vs 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CL-Audio

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 6s
Hi guys,

Considering how expensive batteries are I have a conundrum. I already have 4 traxxas style 3S lipos, Lectron 5200 mAh 50C. If they fit, doubt it, i could convert those to TX90 to save some money for now. Otherwise I need to buy some new ones. I'm debating between 4S and 6S. I know 6S will be super fun, but for those of you running 4S, what's your experience been like? Keep in mind my only other RC is an E-Revo and I run that on 6S. I do not know what 4S would feel like.

Thanks in advance for giving me your opinions.

I'm running 4s, 5s, and occasionally 6s on my V1 Typhon (red can motor).

I currently have a 17t pinion and it's fun on 5s. It's about the same speed as
my Vorza was (CC 2650kv, 18t, 4s)

If you already have 6s, i would just run that. Just watch your temps.

At one point I had multiple 2S, 4S, and 6S batteries... the 6S were the latest ones I added. I enjoyed on 4S but the 'upgrade' itch got me, and frankly it doesn't make much sense to swap out the already very powerful BLX185 combo if without first simply increasing the battery voltage, so thats how I ended up at 6S - and I haven't looked back / no regrets.

If I want to run 4S I'll just do 2x2S, otherwise its 6S. If I had those batteries and a e-revo I'd probably keep them dedicated for that and get new ones for the Typhon, but thats just me.. otherwise you'll need to make changes to the e-revo so you can use the same XT90 connectors

I will say that I personally moved everything I've to XT90. My icharger squid, my Slash 4x4, and all my batteries (bunch of 2s and 3s batteries).

Of I still had an ERBE, it would get Xt90 as well. They're 100x easier to solder than Traxxas connectors are/were.

It's funny - when I bought my Arrma's I planned to swap them over to Traxxas connectors, but someone wisely said in one of the forums how good Xt90 connectors are and I fully agree. I live them and I swear it was easier to swap everything I have over than to swap the new Arrma's over to Traxxas. I HATE soldering those Traxxas connectors... I swear I'd have what looks perfect Thrn go to push it in but it wouldn't go through. Or I get it to go through and then it pops out when I plug in. Just a hassle. Lol

ALL XT90 now! :)

You could get adapters to go from traxxas to xt90... i had my lhs solder me up a couple but have since gotten rid of my traxxas batteries except the 2s i use in my stampede 4x4... i swapped my xmaxx over to xt90 beacuse i got new batteries... if your using the new traxxas id batteries you cannot swap connectors on them beacuse the balance plugs are built into them... i have a set of onyx 3s 5400mah 50c they are awesome, next set i buy will be spc or smc... i have a kraton and nero i run 6s mostly but 4s is also fun... if your buying batteries spend a little extra and get a good 50c or higher discharge rate and a decent mah 5000 or higher... i ran my friends 7600mah traxxas 2s batteries and they worked well. Im gonna get a set of 2s and a set if 3s... my fiance likes the kraton but is scared of 6s it really rips lol.

I'm running 4s, 5s, and occasionally 6s on my V1 Typhon (red can motor).

I currently have a 17t pinion and it's fun on 5s. It's about the same speed as
my Vorza was (CC 2650kv, 18t, 4s)

If you already have 6s, i would just run that. Just watch your temps.
Hey Swerny, I read somewhere on here that the Typhon doesn't recognize 5S pack. Is that true, or did I misread something?
I have a couple 5S packs I was hoping to use in mine until I saw that post...

Hey Swerny, I read somewhere on here that the Typhon doesn't recognize 5S pack. Is that true, or did I misread something?
I have a couple 5S packs I was hoping to use in mine until I saw that post...

the new BLX185 doesn't like 5s. You have to turn the LVC off and run an external alarm.

The post of mine you quoted was from when i had the old BLX180

I ran a 3s in mine yesterday... it had no issues. I have new blx185 system in mine. I think someone had battery issues. or a bad esc... it should run 2 to 6s in any combination.
Good to know, I ordered a Venom LVA just in case I need it for 5S, but should be handy in ANY car I use lipos in.

the new BLX185 doesn't like 5s. You have to turn the LVC off and run an external alarm.

The post of mine you quoted was from when i had the old BLX180
Mine is the V2 I'm guessing since I just bought it. It has the BLX185 in it, but the way it's advertised looks like this.
"2-6S Lipo" A bit misleading but I just happen to have a couple 5S from my 500 size Heli. No real big deal since I have other batteries that work, and more on the way. it would be nice to have a variety to run in the Typhon.

Have some new batteries on the way today and it's raining!!! What a bummer...:mad:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back