Typhon Typhon 6S+ (1/7.5): My attempt at a reliable dirt track buggy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you link the specific ones you ended up with? I'd love some 2.8 belted tires for the street/bashing but there are SO many options.

kicker i'm having is i'd like to go 130-140mm OD-ish
https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-defender-17mm-monster-truck-tires.html
Unfortunately these are OOS at PowerHobby but thye're probably on Amazon or Ebay too. They're a little shorter at 128mm then what you're looking for but believe me... they're excellent on a Typhon. Perfect size IMHO. Also come in a Raptor tread as well.
Ypu might wanna look at Method RC tires too. Only thing is you gotta glue them yourself. Ask @Moirae about them...he's an expert on these AND TP motors!! LOL I think Jetko makes a comparable size tire also that's belted.

You really gotta try to paint a body though, it's super easy to do 1 color, :cool:(y)
Yep, when in doubt, just go all black and put some stickers on it, done!

So far things i've done for reliability/ease of use include:

Arrma rear control arm guards
M2C Chassis Braces
M2C Drill-through Shock Mount Bolts
RC 3D wing mount
PPS Motor Mount/Diff Brace
Hot Racing Battery Tray
Refilled diffs with 30k/100k/30k
40mm fan on HR 40mm Sink for OE motor
Dboots EXABYTES from the TLRT
FastEddy Bearing Kit
Single EC5 converted (all my 6S battery setups are single pack, I'm a big fan of simplicity)

View attachment 240564

I noticed you have the HR battery tray but in a later picture it looks like the stock one. Did you remove the HR tray or is that an older picture without it? Just curious because I've considered the tray to fully cover the bottom of longer batteries but its not a cheap tray and trying to find feedback on it.
Also, did you buy those mudguards or make them?

I just ordered some +13 mm extensions to try but then I'm like well poop why didn't I just use kraton arms. >.>
If you haven't already run across it, the RC Waffle store on ebay has tons of used parts from 1/10 & 1/8 scale truggies and buggies for pretty cheap. I wanted to get a feel for what my Typhon would handle like wider without comitting to a Kraton hex/hub/axle setup and found some used Mugen hexes that are +10mm for $11 for the whole set of 4, perfect fit on my Typhon.
I've bashed 3 or 4 times with them now and probably will end up with the Kraton hub setup anyway though, I like the extra width. Will still keep the +10mm hexes for running with 2.8 MT width tires.

Yep, when in doubt, just go all black and put some stickers on it, done!

I noticed you have the HR battery tray but in a later picture it looks like the stock one. Did you remove the HR tray or is that an older picture without it? Just curious because I've considered the tray to fully cover the bottom of longer batteries but its not a cheap tray and trying to find feedback on it.

If you haven't already run across it, the RC Waffle store on ebay has tons of used parts from 1/10 & 1/8 scale truggies and buggies for pretty cheap. I wanted to get a feel for what my Typhon would handle like wider without comitting to a Kraton hex/hub/axle setup and found some used Mugen hexes that are +10mm for $11 for the whole set of 4, perfect fit on my Typhon.
I've bashed 3 or 4 times with them now and probably will end up with the Kraton hub setup anyway though, I like the extra width. Will still keep the +10mm hexes for running with 2.8 MT width tires.
Wish I knew this before I paid 60$ for 6 gpm extensions 😔.

Hr battery tray is installed, some of the pictures are out of order/when i was modifying it (it's really built for the V4, so you kinda need to DIY the rear screw for mounting)

it does work VERY WELL
these are oem Typhon mudguards

https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-defender-17mm-monster-truck-tires.html
Unfortunately these are OOS at PowerHobby but thye're probably on Amazon or Ebay too. They're a little shorter at 128mm then what you're looking for but believe me... they're excellent on a Typhon. Perfect size IMHO. Also come in a Raptor tread as well.
Well, i am convinced enough to order some to try.

1664482735494.png

Oh man.... Why do I need the insertion wrench?

Im finding that these pillow balls are a problem. They thread into the plastic terribly and don't stay. Some are tight, some loose. Ive tried different ones too, all the same. They constantly need to be cleaned and oiled to work consistently. Im spending allot time maintaining them and they sort of suck. I think that will be a Place for a non-arrma parts upgrade.
And the steering bearing posts need shims, have to much slop in them. I tried an EXB and TLR one, same thing. same parts basically. I need the right washers. And that servo saver needs to be much tighter - ive leaned over and over again.
And Servos. Stock Servo just stinks. I have another ANNIMOS 35kg servo comign tomorrow. For $35 they work nicely but I DO want to invest in a good servo, they are $100+ easy.

And Thanks, so now I want these! :LOL::D
The Stock shock cap bushings aren't good, Ive gone through a bunch of them.

6S PILLAR BALL RETAINER NUT KIT

ARRMA 6S SHOCK CAP BUSHINGS

These too, Ive gone through Arrma Dif Outdrives. They get chewed up.

ARRMA 6S 5mm DIFFERENTIAL OUT DRIVES

These cars are like nothing else! Right?! And they DO Scare people. They don't know what to think.

View attachment 240675
Promodeler servos -- made in USA. Good enough to steer theater ballistic missiles, good enough for an rc car. i just got my second ds630blhv servo from them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back