TYPHON 6S BLX V4 MAXIMUM SPEED UPGRADE HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may have posted this before, but worth saying again for any other viewers. The BLX 2050kv motor is quite capable. You may want to see how far you can go on the stock motor. If you will have it setup with an XLX esc and a GT body then I don't see why that motor wouldn't get you well over 100mph. Best thing is that they are dirt cheap on eBay if you were to burn one up.

(not my video) Kenny has taken the BLX 2050kv motor to some impressive speeds (143 mph in this video):
Hey Liberty,

I'm still on the fence about the battery trays. Won't that take up too much room for an aerodynamic body to fit over? It would free-up space, but I was thinking about what you stated awhile back, regarding the extra weight of 2 batteries.

I ordered Limitless front and rear, shocks and shock towers. Today I removed the existing shocks and towers from the Typhon. Remember those upper front hinge pins that I couldn't unscrew from the suspension mounts? With the shocks and towers gone, I managed to get them out easily. As my West Texan Mom used to say, "Anyone with one eye and common sense would have known that".

Now that the droop screws are easily accessible, what are the specs of the "longer" droop screws that you mentioned putting on your car(s)? I want to put them on all of my cars.

Hey Liberty,

I'm still on the fence about the battery trays. Won't that take up too much room for an aerodynamic body to fit over? It would free-up space, but I was thinking about what you stated awhile back, regarding the extra weight of 2 batteries.

I ordered Limitless front and rear, shocks and shock towers. Today I removed the existing shocks and towers from the Typhon. Remember those upper front hinge pins that I couldn't unscrew from the suspension mounts? With the shocks and towers gone, I managed to get them out easily. As my West Texan Mom used to say, "Anyone with one eye and common sense would have known that".

Now that the droop screws are easily accessible, what are the specs of the "longer" droop screws that you mentioned putting on your car(s)? I want to put them on all of my cars.

The battery trays are visible on that video example I provided. They are almost exclusively used with the Delta GT bodies.

I'll have to check on the screws I used. I have a box of various sizes that I utilize pretty often.
Regarding ESC choice if you are not going with the XLX and battery trays then get the MM2 retro. The Mamba Monster X is notorious for overheating and cutting power.
The alternative is mounting the XLX above the center diff/spool.
(check eBay)

In general it is said the MM2 retro will get you into the 105-130 range.
The XLX could push you along further.
The MM2 retro has current limiting removed. The standard MM2 likely wont go as fast.

Last edited:
The battery trays are visible on that video example I provided. They are almost exclusively used with the Delta GT bodies.

I'll have to check on the screws I used. I have a box of various sizes that I utilize pretty often.
Regarding ESC choice if you are not going with the XLX and battery trays then get the MM2 retro. The Mamba Monster X is notorious for overheating and cutting power.
The alternative is mounting the XLX above the center diff/spool.
(check eBay)

In general it is said the MM2 retro will get you into the 105-130 range.
The XLX could push you along further.
The MM2 retro has current limiting removed. The standard MM2 likely wont go as fast.
Truth is, installing battery trays kinda spooked me. Any modification made me nervous. When I thought about it, I'm changing the shocks and towers, and adding a rocket to the car! Pretty big modifications.

When I called "Castle", the technician I talked to told me that they were out of the MM2 ESC's, and may not be offering them anymore. He also suggested that I install their ESC tuning on my computer, (which I did) When I order an ESC, he said to call back and he would walk me through the tuming process. I.m going to buy the XL-X ESC, and (2) battery trays, now that I know that a GT body will fit the set-up. I'm still waiting to hear from TP Power about their motor choice. However, if that doesn't pan-out, I'll take your advice and see what the stock motor can do.

Once again, many thank's!
I would wait for a MM2 Retro or just go with the XLX.
I'm going to get the XL-X ECT, and add (2) battery trays. Go big or go home. Agreed?

Last edited:
Truth is, installing battery trays kinda spooked me. Any modification made me nervous. When I thought about it, I'm changing the shocks and towers, and adding a rocket to the car! Pretty big modifications.

When I called "Castle", the technician I talked to told me that they were out of the MM2 ESC's, and may not be offering them anymore. He also suggested that I install their ESC tuning on my computer, (which I did) When I order an ESC, he said to call back and he would walk me through the tuming process. I.m going to buy the XL-X ESC, and (2) battery trays, now that I know that a GT body will fit the set-up. I'm still waiting to hear from TP Power about their motor choice. However, if that doesn't pan-out, I'll take your advice and see what the stock motor can do.

Once again, many thank's!

I'm going to get the XL-X ECT, and add (2) battery trays. Go big or go home. Agreed?
Hey Liberty,

I don't mean to be a 'pain in the neck', but I looked everywhere and can't seem to find the proper battery trays. Will you please give me a hand?

I ordered the XL-X Extreme ESC. Pretty good price from Amain Hobbies=$198.00.

I joined a model rocket forum= "THE ROCKET FORUM". I'll start a thread and write the introduction for this project today or tomorrow on the forum. I hope that they will be as friendly and helpful as the folks on ARRMA FORUM.

I joined a model rocket forum= "THE ROCKET FORUM". I'll start a thread and write the introduction for this project today or tomorrow on the forum. I hope that they will be as friendly and helpful as the folks on ARRMA FORUM.

I have never seen a forum quite like this one... :love:

I ordered the XL-X Extreme ESC. Pretty good price from Amain Hobbies=$198.00.

Yes I'd say 198.00 is a great price for the XL-X

I don't mean to be a 'pain in the neck', but I looked everywhere and can't seem to find the proper battery trays. Will you please give me a hand?

These are probably some of the nicest trays as they have a lateral body mount to solidify the side of the body in addition to your normal top body mounts.
https://emperformanceproducts.com/product/emp-specter-battery-trays-arrma-gt/

FYI the front droop screws I mentioned before that I use are M4x20

Are you any good at soldering? Are you sticking with XT-90 connectors or what is your plan for battery to ESC connectors?

The only other thing you will need before running the XLX is a capacitor pack. There are tons of them "out there" as long as you get 6,000 μF or more capacity in the pack you should be fine. (more is better, but eats up more space). I usually make my own with some wire and set of good caps from Amazon total cost to make is about $15 versus $40+ for pre-made options.

I like to setup my cap packs with a battery connector for times when I do maintenance on the car it is nice to get the cap pack out of the way. I also use clear shrink on them so I can easily see if a cap is starting to mushroom on the top. (most common indicator of a bad capacitor)
caps3.JPG

Without a cap pack the Castle ESCs can get over stressed and self destruct in these high amperage speed run uses ?

I have never seen a forum quite like this one... :love:

Yes I'd say 198.00 is a great price for the XL-X

These are probably some of the nicest trays as they have a lateral body mount to solidify the side of the body in addition to your normal top body mounts.

FYI the front droop screws I mentioned before that I use are M4x20

Are you any good at soldering? Are you sticking with XT-90 connectors or what is your plan for battery to ESC connectors?

The only other thing you will need before running the XLX is a capacitor pack. There are tons of them "out there" as long as you get 6,000 μF or more capacity in the pack you should be fine. (more is better, but eats up more space). I usually make my own with some wire and set of good caps from Amazon total cost to make is about $15 versus $40+ for pre-made options.

I like to setup my cap packs with a battery connector for times when I do maintenance on the car it is nice to get the cap pack out of the way. I also use clear shrink on them so I can easily see if a cap is starting to mushroom on the top. (most common indicator of a bad capacitor)
View attachment 60190

Without a cap pack the Castle ESCs can get over stressed and self destruct in these high amperage speed run uses ?
Hey Liberty,

The battery connectors will be EC5.

Nice setup on your capacitor pack. , (I'll need to buy one).

I have (2) soldreing irons. If those aren't hot enough, I'll use the mini torch that I used to free the inner screws of the front , steering knuckles, etc....

As you know, when I started this "rocked boosted" RC car project, what I first needed was to choose an appropriate, 1/8th scale car, and upgrade it to run straight-line passes at the highest speed I could. Considering my lack of knowledge on the subject, you and other folks here on ARRMA FORUM, have, and are, helping me achieve that goal. Once that horse has been trained, I need to find out what and how to incorporate a rocket to take over, when the car has met its maximum speed. kind of like engaging NOS,( Nitrous Oxide), to a full scale car.

Hopefully, the folks on "THE ROCKET FORUM" will guide me in the right direction.

In the next day or so, I will start a thread on their site, explaining this project. Who knows, some Arrma builders may want to try it out. At the same time, some rocket enthusiasts might pick-up a Typhon 6s BLX V4 or a Limitless and join in.

Bye the way, my profile name on THE ROCKET FORUM is the same as on ARRMA FORUM= arelee

Last edited:
You will hear people say that standard connectors are not good for speedruns, but I have run xt90 ec5 with no issues.
The nicer builds I do often get 6.5 or 8mm bullet connectors, but mostly for less bulk. My Typhon and Kraton both hit 94-96 mph with no issues on xt90's.

I like the project. I personally don't feel comfortable igniting a rocket motor near my RC car, but that is just me. ?

I believe your biggest obstacles will be around how to remotely ignite the rocket motor at the correct time. Either way I look forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Where do you live BTW? Finding the ideal road/strip for a speed run is quite hard.

Last edited:
Hey Liberty,

1) Regarding "lighting a rocket near my RC car", Its been done before, generally for fun and show= Youtube videos. The only person, That I have found, that comes close to being serious, (in my opinion) is David Windestal. You can check him out on youtube. Although his "rocket car" videos appear to be simply for fun, if one looks a bit deeper, this guy knows what he is doing. He makes his own rocket casings and fuel! In the videos, the car he used was a 1/10 scale,"H- king" Desert Fox,. His results weren't for maximum end speed. Simply an experiment.

I tried to reached out to him for advice, but although he claims he wants to share his knowledge for free, when I tried to ask for advice, his website asked for payment.

I believe that incorporating a rocket into a to a Typhon 6s BLX V4 , once the beefed-up car has reached it's maximum speed, an appropriate rocket can push it further. I've put a lot of bucks into this project so far. Hopefully, with information from The 'rocket people', I can complete this experiment successfully. We'll see.

Hey Liberty,

1) Regarding "lighting a rocket near my RC car", Its been done before, generally for fun and show= Youtube videos. The only person, That I have found, that comes close to being serious, (in my opinion) is David Windestal. You can check him out on youtube. Although his "rocket car" videos appear to be simply for fun, if one looks a bit deeper, this guy knows what he is doing. He makes his own rocket casings and fuel! In the videos, the car he used was a 1/10 scale,"H- king" Desert Fox,. His results weren't for maximum end speed. Simply an experiment.

I tried to reached out to him for advice, but although he claims he wants to share his knowledge for free, when I tried to ask for advice, his website asked for payment.

I believe that incorporating a rocket into a to a Typhon 6s BLX V4 , once the beefed-up car has reached it's maximum speed, an appropriate rocket can push it further. I've put a lot of bucks into this project so far. Hopefully, with information from The 'rocket people', I can complete this experiment successfully. We'll see.
I do Estes model rockets with my son. Very basic concepts to ignite the motor.

Just some ideas...
Ideally all you need is a remote activated switch that will connect the igniter to a battery/power source. It would probably be ideal to set it up on a micro-controller like the Arduino, where you can program in a timer to disconnect the power source "X" number of seconds after the ignite command is received.

Hey Liberty,

As far as I know so far, I need a composite based motor

The rocket ignition issue is something that I have been trying to figure out. Too much voltage= Ignition fries the ignition unit.
Too little= it, won't ignite,

Hey Liberty,

As far as I know so far, I need a composite based motor

The rocket ignition issue is something that I have been trying to figure out. Too much voltage= Ignition fries the ignition unit.
Too little= it, won't ignite,

Id figure out exactly which motor you want to run and the required igniter. Then you can contact the company and see what power requirements you need for the igniter. Ideally if you can connect the switch/controller to a small LiFe battery that would be great.

Hey Liberty,

In the introduction to my other thread,ROCKET BOOST KRATON 6S AND 8S, I lay out the plan for this project. About halfway down, I poster an UPDATE. I explained that The kraton would be the wrong platform for this project. The Typhon 6S BLX V4 was. That's why I started this thread.

I also explain that, since I do not have a level (1) certificetion, the "G" size rocket motor is as large as I can go. I looked around, and picked one little "filly" that I had my eye on= Aerotech G54W-14A White Lightning. Lots of thrust. However, that could be totally off base. That's, among other things, is why I need the help from model rocket experts.

I can't seem to find the correct battery trays for the Typhon. Will you please give me a link to a proper set?

You asked where I live. In Central Virginia, Way out in the country, in Buckingham County. There are a few very nice and straight, 2 lane, paved roads not far from my house. The lawn in my yard is about 3/4 acre. The rest is wooded. I took my Kraton 8s out yesterday and let it have fun on the lawn. I had a good time myself.

You stated that you need $80.00 for the epoxy for the "UNLIMITED". Contact me (off of this thread somehow), and please let me send it to you. It's the least I can do for all of time, patience and knowledge that you have shared.

Later buddy

Hey Liberty,

In the introduction to my other thread,ROCKET BOOST KRATON 6S AND 8S, I lay out the plan for this project. About halfway down, I poster an UPDATE. I explained that The kraton would be the wrong platform for this project. The Typhon 6S BLX V4 was. That's why I started this thread.

I also explain that, since I do not have a level (1) certificetion, the "G" size rocket motor is as large as I can go. I looked around, and picked one little "filly" that I had my eye on= Aerotech G54W-14A White Lightning. Lots of thrust. However, that could be totally off base. That's, among other things, is why I need the help from model rocket experts.

I can't seem to find the correct battery trays for the Typhon. Will you please give me a link to a proper set?

You asked where I live. In Central Virginia, Way out in the country, in Buckingham County. There are a few very nice and straight, 2 lane, paved roads not far from my house. The lawn in my yard is about 3/4 acre. The rest is wooded. I took my Kraton 8s out yesterday and let it have fun on the lawn. I had a good time myself.

You stated that you need $80.00 for the epoxy for the "UNLIMITED". Contact me (off of this thread somehow), and please let me send it to you. It's the least I can do for all of time, patience and knowledge that you have shared.

Later buddy

Wow!
I am constantly blown away by the kindness and generosity of members here. I will shoot you a private message to discuss.

It sounds like you live in a great location for experiments like you are doing. I have to find some new roads to run on as my favorite road has become filled with ruts and pot holes. Other spots are now plagued with radio interference.

If you cannot get the help needed with the ignition for the rocket motor on the other forums let me know. I have a hybrid electronics / mechanics BA degree and usually can figure things out.

For battery trays there are 2 options

1. EM Performance "Arrma GT" trays.

2. Saga RC style which I believe are more of a universal tray and likely wont fit as nicely as the EM Performance ones, but would get the job done just fine. I think these are the ones used on Kenny's car (the video I shared of the 143 mph BLX motor)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRMA-TYPH...N-OFNA-HPI-LOSI-TRAXXAS-TYPHOON-/263507804167
I can ask Kenny about it if you would like confirmation.

Wow!
I am constantly blown away by the kindness and generosity of members here. I will shoot you a private message to discuss.

It sounds like you live in a great location for experiments like you are doing. I have to find some new roads to run on as my favorite road has become filled with ruts and pot holes. Other spots are now plagued with radio interference.

If you cannot get the help needed with the ignition for the rocket motor on the other forums let me know. I have a hybrid electronics / mechanics BA degree and usually can figure things out.

For battery trays there are 2 options

1. EM Performance "Arrma GT" trays.

2. Saga RC style which I believe are more of a universal tray and likely wont fit as nicely as the EM Performance ones, but would get the job done just fine. I think these are the ones used on Kenny's car (the video I shared of the 143 mph BLX motor)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRMA-TYPH...N-OFNA-HPI-LOSI-TRAXXAS-TYPHOON-/263507804167
I can ask Kenny about it if you would like confirmation.
Yes, would you please ask Kenny if the EM Performance GT trays will be a perfect fit for my Typhon 6S. I don't want to make any mistakes.

By the way, I received the 1,000,000 diff. fluid. I don't want to disassemble the diff. Can I just use 'break cleaner' to remove the existing fluid, and how do I know how much new fluid to use. Don't want to over or under fill the diff(s)?

Thank's

Yes, would you please ask Kenny if the EM Performance GT trays will be a perfect fit for my Typhon 6S. I don't want to make any mistakes.

By the way, I received the 1,000,000 diff. fluid. I don't want to disassemble the diff. Can I just use 'break cleaner' to remove the existing fluid, and how do I know how much new fluid to use. Don't want to over or under fill the diff(s)?

Thank's

I'll keep in touch after asking Kenny.

You pretty much fill them all the way up. You don't want a big air gap in there. This thread does not specifically discuss the filling process, but you can see the image of how full it is. Also the thread has some other great step by step instructions that will be useful.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-to-shim-your-diff-with-pictures.7700/

When filling the diffs with such thick oil, let them sit for many hours to settle. Even overnight if you can. That will allow any air gaps to escape. Top it off if needed then cap it up. ??

When filling the diffs with such thick oil, let them sit for many hours to settle. Even overnight if you can. That will allow any air gaps to escape. Top it off if needed then cap it up. ??
Hey jondilly1974,

Thank's for the information. That makes perfect sense.

I don't want to disassemble the diff(s) before adding the new fluid. Can I simply open them up, secure the inside components with my finger, and liberally spray the inside with "brake cleaner", then set then aside until all of the brake cleaner has evaporated?

Also, when I fill them with the 1,000,000CST fluid, do I fill them COMPLETELY to the top? The diagram in the manual of one of my other cars=Kraton 8S shows the fluid filled almost to the top. Obviously that would be leaving an air space.

Bye the way, what are you working on now?

I'll keep in touch after asking Kenny.

You pretty much fill them all the way up. You don't want a big air gap in there. This thread does not specifically discuss the filling process, but you can see the image of how full it is. Also the thread has some other great step by step instructions that will be useful.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-to-shim-your-diff-with-pictures.7700/
I just started a thread on "THE ROCKET FORUM". The title is ROCKET BOOSTED 1/8 SCALE RC CAR HELP It is in "The Watering Hole" category. I mention ARRMA FORUM. Who knows, maybe it will bring-in some new members.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back