Typhon Typhon 6s center diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Arrma

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
I have a problem. I did a speedrun test on my 6s typhon and it only went 43mph, im thinking it has something to do with the center diff. I can hold the front tires so they don't move and then give the car some throttle and only the back tires turn, same if i hold the back tires. The diff attemts to spin the front/rear tires but its very weak. does that mean i need a new diff or is it just in need of diff oil? if its the diff oil, idk how to fix that. i have diff oil though.

that’s probably in the ballpark. Using a calculator and dropping one cell for realism you get about 50 MPH so 43 is close. Have you calibrated the ESC endpoints recently?

0447E3D9-4EE4-4765-A674-A4C6CACB7D0F.jpeg

Last edited:
Need to up that pinion 1st of all. 16T, 20T or 21T. Try 16T 1st. 14T is geared for bashing/quick acceleration. If you have rhe stock spur gear you could get a 46T one.

Is it still stock diff oil? If so, you are gonna want to open all 3 up, clean out and add new oil. YT has tons of vids on this. It's super easy, just remember how everything goes back together. (y) ✌️

that’s probably in the ballpark. Using a calculator and dropping one cell for realism you get about 50 MPH so 43 is close. Have you calibrated the ESC endpoints recently?

View attachment 250208n
No not recently. but like 3 months ago my typhon was able to go well over 50mph. Idk what i done that may have triggered it.
Need to up that pinion 1st of all. 16T, 20T or 21T. Try 16T 1st. 14T is geared for bashing/quick acceleration. If you have rhe stock spur gear you could get a 46T one.

Is it still stock diff oil? If so, you are gonna want to open all 3 up, clean out and add new oil. YT has tons of vids on this. It's super easy, just remember how everything goes back together. (y) ✌️
i think ill go with the 20t pinion. does this look right?
Screenshot 2022-10-15 9.13.31 AM.png

nevermind, I just realized that it said material is plastic.

nevermind, I just realized that it said material is plastic.

I would try to recalibrate the endpoints first but you definitely can go up in Pinion size.

The "materials" on the Amazon listing is garbage. They are all metal pinions

Try Tekno, Robinson Racing or even Hobbypark pinions. Amazon it. (y)

Arrma Part Number: ARA310967

Tekno: https://a.co/d/gJLNLyq

If you order off of Amazon, Horizon has the best prices and if you order more than $25 ish, I think - it's free shipping

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 12.31.37 PM.png

I would try to recalibrate the endpoints first but you definitely can go up in Pinion size.

The "materials" on the Amazon listing is garbage. They are all metal pinions

Arrma Part Number: ARA310967

Tekno: https://a.co/d/gJLNLyq

If you order off of Amazon, Horizon has the best prices and if you order more than $25 ish, I think - it's free shipping

View attachment 250211
So i went and bought a 20t pinion and put it in my car, yes it goes wayyyy faster. i asked the guy behind the counter at hobby town USA (RC parts store) about recalibrating the endpoints for the throttle and he said there isnt such thing. He said there is only endpoints for steering. IDK...

So i went and bought a 20t pinion and put it in my car, yes it goes wayyyy faster. i asked the guy behind the counter at hobby town USA (RC parts store) about recalibrating the endpoints for the throttle and he said there isnt such thing. He said there is only endpoints for steering. IDK...

I’m not calling your Hobbytown guy an idiot… oh wait, yes I am :)

4E668A1B-89A4-472E-84C9-F1D91083A616.jpeg

No not recently. but like 3 months ago my typhon was able to go well over 50mph. Idk what i done that may have triggered it.

Hmm, friction maybe?

When's the last time you checked your bearings? Or remove the pinion and roll it back and forth to check the drive-train for binding?

I have a problem. I did a speedrun test on my 6s typhon and it only went 43mph, im thinking it has something to do with the center diff. I can hold the front tires so they don't move and then give the car some throttle and only the back tires turn, same if i hold the back tires. The diff attemts to spin the front/rear tires but its very weak. does that mean i need a new diff or is it just in need of diff oil? if its the diff oil, idk how to fix that. i have diff oil though.
If you have the original thin oil at the center, this is more apparent, But normal, and probably just diffing out more so with thin oil at the center diff.
For more dedicated speed running only, you will want thicker center diff oil. Go with 200k to start. Then 300k. It's trial and error. Don't overshoot the oil at first. Baby steps, what works for you. The higher the speed you want. The thicker at the center will help. Makes the car hook up better on pavement. You are running on pavement, correct?
What size pinion you have in there? The speed gear?

If you have the original thin oil at the center, this is more apparent, But normal, and probably just diffing out more so with thin oil at the center diff.
For more dedicated speed running only, you will want thicker center diff oil. Go with 200k to start. Then 300k. It's trial and error. Don't overshoot the oil at first. Baby steps, what works for you. The higher the speed you want. The thicker at the center will help. Makes the car hook up better on pavement. You are running on pavement, correct?
What size pinion you have in there? The speed gear?
Yes im running it on pavement. 20t pinion i just recently bought after seeing Smilinbri's post saying to get a bigger tooth pinion. The spur gear IDK what tooth, im guessing 46-50t somewhere in there but IDK. I just refilled my center diff with 200k diff oil...
Another question... Where can i find the little clip that goes on the end of the motor/ holds the pinion gear on so it doesn't fall off. I lost it somewhere sometime and my pinion keeps falling off.

Yes im running it on pavement. 20t pinion i just recently bought after seeing Smilinbri's post saying to get a bigger tooth pinion. The spur gear IDK what tooth, im guessing 46-50t somewhere in there but IDK. I just refilled my center diff with 200k diff oil...
Another question... Where can i find the little clip that goes on the end of the motor/ holds the pinion gear on so it doesn't fall off. I lost it somewhere sometime and my pinion keeps falling off.
Your pinion should be screwed onto your motor shaft with a grub screw, which should be threadlocked & allowed to cure for about 24 hours. If it keeps coming off you run the risk of chewing up both the pinion & the spur gear. That little c clip is just there to be a safety measure, not the sole tightening force

Your pinion should be screwed onto your motor shaft with a grub screw, which should be threadlocked & allowed to cure for about 24 hours. If it keeps coming off you run the risk of chewing up both the pinion & the spur gear. That little c clip is just there to be a safety measure, not the sole tightening force
Oh okay, the 20t pinion i have in my car has 2 screws both across from each other. So i should put threadlock on both, tighten them up and let cure for 24 hours, correct? so do i need to worry about having/purchasing a c clip thingie or can i run it without the clip if i follow the procedure with threadlocking the screws?

Oh okay, the 20t pinion i have in my car has 2 screws both across from each other. So i should put threadlock on both, tighten them up and let cure for 24 hours, correct? so do i need to worry about having/purchasing a c clip thingie or can i run it without the clip if i follow the procedure with threadlocking the screws?
Yes, threadlock is necessary as a permanent fixture (unless you're just gonna be trying out a bunch of different sizes of pinions) After the curing period you should be good to let er rip tater chip 🙂👍 As far as I know, & I may be wrong, but spektrum is the only brand of motor that I know of that uses those clips on the ends of their motor shafts. I guess I'm also assuming you're running stock electronics

Yes, threadlock is necessary as a permanent fixture (unless you're just gonna be trying out a bunch of different sizes of pinions) After the curing period you should be good to let er rip tater chip 🙂👍 As far as I know, & I may be wrong, but spektrum is the only brand of motor that I know of that uses those clips on the ends of their motor shafts. I guess I'm also assuming you're running stock electronics
Upgraded motor, Upgraded steering servo, stock esc. Thanks for the help and info!

It totally sounded like he had a broken diff pin from his description but I'm apparently the only one who thought so hahaha.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back