Typhon Typhon 6S clicking when rolling (powered off)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numach

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi guys... brand new here. I just picked up a Typhon 6S yesterday and I noticed right after I took it out of the box and attempted to roll it on the kitchen counter the buggy makes a clicking noise. I can also have it just on the two front or two rear wheels when I roll it and it does the same thing. Is that coming from the center diff releasing due to the motor resisting the force of it turning?

Apart from that the thing seems to run fine. In fact, after only one day I love it! I just want to know if that normal for this model and if not what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance. I'm literally just getting back into RC after not touching one since 30 years ago when I had an RC-10, a Turbo Optima Mid SE and a beat-up Blackfoot. Man... a lot has changed! lol

It sounds like it's just the motor turning over. There are very powerful magnets inside and when the motor shaft turns it builds resistance, then overcomes that resistance and spins a little till it gets to the next bit of resistance. It sends this sharp movement into the drive line, the dogbones and drive cups can rattle making the sound amplified. Also when the car is powered up if you accelerate slowly you will get a stuttering sound, that's the motor trying to work out which way it needs to spin.

It sounds like it's just the motor turning over. There are very powerful magnets inside and when the motor shaft turns it builds resistance, then overcomes that resistance and spins a little till it gets to the next bit of resistance. It sends this sharp movement into the drive line, the dogbones and drive cups can rattle making the sound amplified. Also when the car is powered up if you accelerate slowly you will get a stuttering sound, that's the motor trying to work out which way it needs to spin.
Thanks! That makes sense.

We really need sticky’s here-

“My new car clicks”

“My new car won’t steer”
Maybe. Mine just seemed like a hard metal-sounding click and I was worried since this was pre-assembled (so I don't know how it was put together). The shafts have a lot of play too and have a slight metal sounding clank and rattle of their own and I also figured that may be a contributing factor - I will do some adjusting and maybe add some small springs in the cups or something.

It was just a very distinct and hard click... and it worried me. In 30 years these motors seem to have changed quite a bit as well as the batteries (LiPo, etc. never existed back then) and consequently the power of these have increased. As such the comments made by Primarrma seem likely.

Beyond that, new people asking about such things is part of what keeps your hobby growing... so getting upset about them asking these questions while understandable doesn't need to be maligned... if indeed that was you were trying to accomplish there. If not then I agree with you - stickies for such things would help. I looked for something like that before I asked the question, actually to no avail.

Cheers.

Stickys for things asked every few days would be helpful for those looking for answers without them needing to ask questions.

Imagine how many people read the forum but never make an account to ask a question.

Nobody was getting upset (other than you possibly feeling shunned) and nothing maligned.

I am also new back to RC after decades, and yes a lot has changed.

Hang around here a couple months. You will see the same questions asked repeatedly. That is not a reflection on new people, if anything the management should be aware and take care of a FAQ as the norm on other forums.

?

These electric motors have come a long long way as have the suspensions and plastics. The only way you could see 45-mph was with Nitro. Those were fun but loud and messy. In addition to the constant suspension component breaks you had to maintain the motors. Hauling around nitro fuel trying to find a spot to bash that wouldn't bother folks in the area...I think the good ol' days of RC are right now!

I don't think anyone is upset, they are just trying to help.

There may be something more sinister happening, you can put small bits of fuel tube in the drive cups, it will kind of center the dogbones.

The first time you try to turn the motor shaft by hand without the center diff connected, you'll feel the clicking(it kind of feels like compression in a nitro engine) in the motor.

When I first bought the Kraton I was out of the hobby for around 13 years. Before that I was only into nitro, so had no idea what the Kraton was supposed to do.

I took it out of the box, pushed it before putting any batteries in and thought it sounded rough. So I found this forum, started reading and found that everything is fine. Ever since then that sound is music to my ears.

Point is, it didn't take me long at all to find the answers to the questions I had, because other members already asked and answered those questions. That's why you don't find me asking many questions, because they're already here.

Not trying to bash anyone for asking these questions, otherwise there wouldn't be answers for other members. Maybe we should just have a sticky on how to use the search function.

Stickys for things asked every few days would be helpful for those looking for answers without them needing to ask questions.

Imagine how many people read the forum but never make an account to ask a question.

Nobody was getting upset (other than you possibly feeling shunned) and nothing maligned.

I am also new back to RC after decades, and yes a lot has changed.

Hang around here a couple months. You will see the same questions asked repeatedly. That is not a reflection on new people, if anything the management should be aware and take care of a FAQ as the norm on other forums.

?
Right on... and I know how things can get read wrong so my fault there (I kind of figured).

Thank you to those that answered and/or had something constructive to add. It was appreciated.

Last edited:
The stupidest questions are the ones that aren't asked. This is how we learn. No worries and please feel free to ask anything else. Someone will answer the question ??

Maybe. Mine just seemed like a hard metal-sounding click and I was worried since this was pre-assembled (so I don't know how it was put together). The shafts have a lot of play too and have a slight metal sounding clank and rattle of their own and I also figured that may be a contributing factor - I will do some adjusting and maybe add some small springs in the cups or something.

It was just a very distinct and hard click... and it worried me. In 30 years these motors seem to have changed quite a bit as well as the batteries (LiPo, etc. never existed back then) and consequently the power of these have increased. As such the comments made by Primarrma seem likely.

Beyond that, new people asking about such things is part of what keeps your hobby growing... so getting upset about them asking these questions while understandable doesn't need to be maligned... if indeed that was you were trying to accomplish there. If not then I agree with you - stickies for such things would help. I looked for something like that before I asked the question, actually to no avail.

Cheers.

I was so freaked out about the same exact thing when I first got my typhon. Plus with how solid the driveline is, all compared to my brushed 2wd ECX torment I was worried something wasn't right. I spend a solid 15 minutes trying to figured out what the clicking was until all I could figure on was that the motor was just that strong. I decided to just run it as is and see how good warranty coverage was if need be. Once the clicking didn't stop decided it was normal. My girlfriend complains about how loud the car is anytime I drive it around her haha.

I was so freaked out about the same exact thing when I first got my typhon. Plus with how solid the driveline is, all compared to my brushed 2wd ECX torment I was worried something wasn't right. I spend a solid 15 minutes trying to figured out what the clicking was until all I could figure on was that the motor was just that strong. I decided to just run it as is and see how good warranty coverage was if need be. Once the clicking didn't stop decided it was normal. My girlfriend complains about how loud the car is anytime I drive it around her haha.
That's funny because what got me started down this rabbit hole was me picking up an ECX Torment at a yard sale and BOOM - I caught the bug all over again like when I was a kid, lol. Couple weeks later here I am. :)

That's funny because what got me started down this rabbit hole was me picking up an ECX Torment at a yard sale and BOOM - I caught the bug all over again like when I was a kid, lol. Couple weeks later here I am. :)

Haha yea I love it. Its a borderline addiction :/ Love that torment though, I am still much more confident beating it around since its so light and flexible. The shear mass of the typhon still scares me. It was a year between my purchases though. Had a bunch of fun doing little upgrades to the torment, then was working out of town for a while, and after I got back was playing with the torment some more but decided I was ready for something 4wd for better off road.

Hah, I get that too - my wife will be upstairs in the bath and I'll get a text "you're 'toy' is so loud".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back