[Typhon 6S] HobbyWing Motor Recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddworld

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Question:

I just burned through a Hobbywing 4985 - 1650kv motor (pics attached). What should I replace it with? No real budget constraints.

RC Car
  • Arrma Typhon v4 6S
  • ESC: Hobbywing EZRUN Combo MAX6 Series
  • Motor: Hobbywing 4985, 1650kv
  • Pinion: Original stock 14T
  • Tires: Duratrax Lockup C2
  • Battery: 2x Turnigy NanoTech Plus 5000mAh 3S 70C (total of 6S)
History

The Hobbywing 4985 did not last long. Maybe 4-5 runs at the most. It smells like burning electronics and is certainly dead now.
The motor just barely fits, so anything larger will certainly not fit.

Thanks for your time.

y0HKdGx - Imgur.jpg

uSVSBPm - Imgur.jpg

BRX5vsD - Imgur.jpg

w1wWQRW - Imgur.jpg

Thanks. Should I go for a lower KV motor?

I kept two large 12v 40mm fans on the motor with a dedicated 3S lipo to power them. Did it overheat?
Mine was sensored and had the ESC programmed to shut off at 180F. I also ran with fans. When mine broke I was just running 8S for the first time in my EXB. Didn’t hold up very long. I would think even a higher KV would be fine for a Typhon. I run the BLX185 in mine (2050kv) and have zero issues. I only run mine on 4S so far as it is pretty stock.

I run in the dirt quite a bit, which drove me to a 1650kv. Should I get another HW 4985?

Thanks. Should I go for a lower KV motor?

I kept two large 12v 40mm fans on the motor with a dedicated 3S lipo to power them. Did it overheat?
Your motor should run really cool with this setup. First of all the motor is really big for the "small" Typhon and you're even running a 14t. And on top of that two big 40mm fans ?. So I'm not sure what killed your motor but I'm pretty sure it wasn't heat.
You could try contacting HW support, but a lot of people here on the forum had bad luck with their support but you can still give it a try. If you want to get another 4895, I would recommend gearing up a little bit (18t). Just check your temps but your cooling is quite overkill. I run one 40mm 12v fan in my Infraction and it keeps my smaller 1515 2200kv quite cool :)

I just realized I missed the 14T pinion in your list. Is it possible you over revved that motor? I would think you would want to gear up quite a bit. I run a 20T in mine with a 2050kv can. I would think that would be a minimum for you with a 1650kv motor?

Thanks. I am definitely confused - can you help me understand?

The Typhon 6S comes with two gears: a 14T Mod1 preinstalled, plus a "high speed gear" not installed (which seems to be a 20T).

There's lots of warnings not to use the 20T when offroad. Should I be using this 20T for offroad?

If I need to buy something, mind letting me know which gear to buy?

Finally, I decided to buy a Rocket 4585 1580kV last night. Which gear should I start with?
Also, this was my cooling solution. 3D printer FTW. Unfortunately, the motor still died.

Attachments

• LOxwawI - Imgur.jpg
    LOxwawI - Imgur.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 7ZKi65c - Imgur.jpg
    7ZKi65c - Imgur.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Ka4ATKD - Imgur.jpg
    Ka4ATKD - Imgur.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thanks. I am definitely confused - can you help me understand?

The Typhon 6S comes with two gears: a 14T Mod1 preinstalled, plus a "high speed gear" not installed (which seems to be a 20T).

There's lots of warnings not to use the 20T when offroad. Should I be using this 20T for offroad?

If I need to buy something, mind letting me know which gear to buy?

Finally, I decided to buy a Rocket 4585 1580kV last night. Which gear should I start with?
Your motor KV determines how fast the motor spins. A higher number means it will spin faster at the same voltage. So if you have a 1650kv motor and I have a 2050kv motor, mine will spin faster if using the same voltage (6S). Now I run mine (2050kv) with a 20T pinion and simply have better fans and it runs just fine. If you have a lower KV motor, it will run even cooler.

Now back to why I think you could have possibly blown that motor due to RPMs is that you are probably constantly going full throttle for long periods with that low of gearing. If you had a 20T pinion or higher, then you would be less likely to be reaching max RPMs as this would make it too fast to control in the same spaces. This your overall motor RPMs would be much less, even though your top speed would be much higher.

Appreciate it.

You're right, I had throttle at 100% for two packs before it died. Lesson learned, but was still fun.

I am placing an order at sagacustomrc. They only have 21T Mod1 and up. Any recommendations? Go with 21T?
Just go with the included 20t and watch your temps. But with your big fans temps really shouldn't be an issue :)

Appreciate it.

You're right, I had throttle at 100% for two packs before it died. Lesson learned, but was still fun.

I am placing an order at sagacustomrc. They only have 21T Mod1 and up. Any recommendations? Go with 21T?
Yes a 21T would be a good start but you want to keep going up if you find yourself running wide open for long periods. Balance that with keeping an eye on temps. Too high of gearing will end up putting too much strain on the motor and creating excess heat. Best guess is you could go way up on the 1650kv can before that happens.

Thanks so much - always learning something new. I'll buy a 21T and a ..... 24T ?‍♂️ .Seems silly to just buy one gear.
That sounds like a good plan. ??

Last dumb question... I promise.

While I wait for my new Rocket 4585 1580kV to arrive, I plan to use stock Arrma 2050kV. Continue to use 14T on the Stock 2050kV, then switch to 21T once the 1580kV arrives?

While I wait for my new Rocket 4585 1580kV to arrive, I plan to use stock Arrma 2050kV. Continue to use 14T on the Stock 2050kV, then switch to 21T once the 1580kV arrives?
I run my 2050kv on a 20T, but I only need 4S with this gearing to have a lot of fun. On 6S it gets way too crazy for the spaces I run in. I’ve never tried the 14T but I feel like that might be a little low. Thinking 16-18 might be a sweet spot if running 6S.

Instantly able to tell that motor died from RPM. You can’t really overrev an electric motor as long as you stay within the correct voltage limitations, but sitting at high rpm for its whole life will start to rip the Kevlar wrapping apart. OP take the shaft out fully and see how it looks. You might be able to rip the rest of the Kevlar off and put it back in. Definitely agree with Jon here. Run that higher tooth pinion so the motor won’t be full throttle the whole time.

You had your Typhon with the HW motor geared to a max speed of 40 mph. In reality, on dirt and grass it was probably more like 35 mph. As others pointed out that is most likely why the engine failed (running wide open for long periods of time).

The stock motor and a 14t puts you at 50 mph (mid to high 40's in grass). You should notice a decent increase in speed. The 1580kv motor with a 21t puts you close to 60 mph. With a 24t you are looking at about 68 mph.

I'd run the stock motor with the 14t and get used to that. ???

Thanks. Are you using a calculator to estimate those figures? If so, mind sharing a link? Would be helpful as a reference for me.

Or are those "gut feel" estimates based on experience?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back