Typhon Typhon 6S Motor cooling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1coopgt

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Typhon 6s
So I picked up a 6S Typhon last week . First thing I did was order a Yeah Racing Duel Fan heatsink of the motor. I had seen others had suggested the YR for it. Went to put the heatsink on and found that the heatsink when tightened down was still a little loose on the motor. I had ordered the 40mm heatsink. So to get the heatsink to tighten down on the motor I wrapped a couple of layers of aluminum tape around the motor. Looking for opinions on this fix . Good or bad.

I would think that would trap the heat more as its not super flush and its not thermal compounded to transfer the heat. But this is just my opinion. The adhesive on the tape would be an insulator.

With using alu. Tape, you are just insulating heat from the HS. Going backwards cooling wise. The new Firma motors have no "Fins". They measure 40mm in diameter. The YR/PH HS are better for 42MM cans. The older Arrma V4 motors have a finned Can and are 42mm. Very snug. If the HS is not snug and moves, NG IMHO. Need firm perfect touching contact area to be efficient. But as a fan mount it can still work, being hollowed/finned, air getting to the motor can( as long as there is no Tape or other material between).
You can try silicone thermal pads, Might be more efficient between the HS and motor. But again blocks air flow to the Can.

If it were me, I would have used the stock Arrma HS for that Firma V5 motor. And have gotten a good upgrade 40mm fan. Stock HS fits best on that Firma motor. Perfect fit correct for the Firma motor.

MOTOR HEATSINK 4074 (ARA390299) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)

You can even fit the 2 YR fans you have on this Arrma HS somewhat easily.

Last edited:
Get an adhesive thermal pad and cut strips to fit on the areas the heat sink should touch the motor, then it’ll fit!
The YR HS doesn't have much mass to it as HS's go and for these motors. That's why the HS is machined hollow to begin with. Air needs to flow into the HS and directly at the motor. Anything in between the HS and motor can is inefficient. Just blocks the air flow, Air will just hit material in between. Even what little you use. I have 4 of the YR HS's. Been there. Stock HS is best. Do it right once. Throwing a band-aid at a wrong fitting part doesn't always work. 🤷‍♂️
What is $15. more to do it right? Just me.
Just put the aluminum tape on the lower clamp side of the heat sink and build it up there. That way the finned heat sink side and fans still have a clear path to the motor surface
You could be right. IDK. How much tape is needed??? Many ways to do it I guess. To work with what you got.....

FWIW a bare sheet of thin aluminum would work as a shim at the base plate. I would just stay away from tape. The adhesive blocks heat transfer.

Edit: Below are generic YR/PH version type HS/Fans. They come with an aluminum sheet spacer/shim. What is best if anything. And a tiny bit of HS compound goes a long way here. Just find a piece of similar thin aluminum to use. Better than a tape of any kind.
1/8 Double Fan Motor Cooling Radiator for E-REVO 41-43mm 1/10 RC Car Heatsink | eBay
Again just my ideas. :cool:
I have more....:LOL:

Last edited:
You could be right. IDK. How much tape is needed??? Many ways to do it I guess. To work with what you got.....

FWIW a bare sheet of thin aluminum would work as a shim at the base plate. I would just stay away from tape. The adhesive blocks heat transfer.
Yeah - I can’t imagine it’s more than 1 mm or slightly more. There isn’t much heat sinking mass on the clamp side so I’m sure it wasn’t contributing to too much to drawing heat away from the motor.

it’s probably a small compromise in efficiency but I think it will work well enough.

^^^ I follow your logic. Just that I feel the most surface area contact is actually at the bottom plate and the Firma motor is not finned and very smooth to the can. The top finned HS section should draw heat from that base plate. Bottom of motor. I think it shouldn't be insulated in any way. Having these, I never felt they were the best option anyway. At least for very hot setups. Just me. Stock Arrma HS has much more mass and just fits the Firma better.
Maybe we could split hairs on which way is best. However insignificant it is?:LOL:

With using alu. Tape, you are just insulating heat from the HS. Going backwards cooling wise. The new Firma motors have no "Fins". They measure 40mm in diameter. The YR/PH HS are better for 42MM cans. The older Arrma V4 motors have a finned Can and are 42mm. Very snug. If the HS is not snug and moves, NG IMHO. Need firm perfect touching contact area to be efficient. But as a fan mount it can still work, being hollowed/finned, air getting to the motor can( as long as there is no Tape or other material between).
You can try silicone thermal pads, Might be more efficient between the HS and motor. But again blocks air flow to the Can.

If it were me, I would have used the stock Arrma HS for that Firma V5 motor. And have gotten a good upgrade 40mm fan. Stock HS fits best on that Firma motor. Perfect fit correct for the Firma motor.

MOTOR HEATSINK 4074 (ARA390299) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)

You can even fit the 2 YR fans you have on this Arrma HS somewhat easily.
And it's ordered. Thanks for the link.

Thanks Everyone for the replies.

When I created my post I probably should have explained that the Aluminum tape was folded in half with the glue to the inside. Then wrapped around the motor.

The 4074 heatsink is the way to go. Thanks again.
20210217_200507.jpg

^^^ I respect an guy who avoids the wet. 👍 Tries at least.

So I received the Arrma fan today and got it installed. That clip is a lot of fun. Actually amazed I didn't stab myself at any point. Could anyone tell me where I should plug it in. I pluged it into the Aux port on the servo . But I'm wondering if it should have been plugged into the PWR port or into the plug hanging off of the ESC.
20210220_165006.jpg

I also finished installing my Just Bash it rear skid plate.
20210220_165105.jpg

I’d put some exhaust header wrap between the motor and the heatsink. Stuff worked great on my cbr600f4i. Good luck

believe you can do both and either will work, direct connect to ESC or to receiver box.

So I received the Arrma fan today and got it installed. That clip is a lot of fun. Actually amazed I didn't stab myself at any point. Could anyone tell me where I should plug it in. I pluged it into the Aux port on the servo . But I'm wondering if it should have been plugged into the PWR port or into the plug hanging off of the ESC.
View attachment 127743
I also finished installing my Just Bash it rear skid plate.
View attachment 127747
Hi
Where did you purchase the fan from ?do you have the link ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back