Typhon Typhon 6s on 4s battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Flint

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Thinking about getting the typhon 6s because i think it will be worth the price difference from the 3s but 6s batteries are too expensive for me to get two right now with thr car. How fast will the typhon be with 4s and maybe the 20t pinion? And will it over heat the engine too much for bashing sesions?

It should be fine unless you’re doing back to back speed runs or if it’s extremely hot where you are.

20 is too much, 16-17t is a sweet spot for me. Fast enough, and I can run all day without getting too hot. The stock 14t is way to slow for 4s for me, It’s was clearly meant for 6s use.

Btw don’t overlook the 3s, I have both and the price difference won’t be that big apart from batteries, but the 3s is nicer to work on and run much quieter (if that’s important to you), and in my opinion more fun to run as it is more nimble.

I run my Typhon 3S on 4S and a 24T and don't usually hit thermal unless doing back to back speed runs with large tires. I do have a dual Yeah Racing setup on my motor tho.

I run mine on 6S most all . the time. Been considering some 4S packs just for cost. Plus you really need some room on 6S because this thing eats up real estate in a hurry!

I run mine on 6S most all . the time. Been considering some 4S packs just for cost. Plus you really need some room on 6S because this thing eats up real estate in a hurry!
To run or to store the batteries?
20 is too much, 16-17t is a sweet spot for me. Fast enough, and I can run all day without getting too hot. The stock 14t is way to slow for 4s for me, It’s was clearly meant for 6s use.

Btw don’t overlook the 3s, I have both and the price difference won’t be that big apart from batteries, but the 3s is nicer to work on and run much quieter (if that’s important to you), and in my opinion more fun to run as it is more nimble.
I know for the price the 3s is amazing but the 6s is better for all the aluminum and a bit different parts no?

I know for the price the 3s is amazing but the 6s is better for all the aluminum and a bit different parts no?
The 6S is by far a better machine. But if cost is a big factor, you can have a lot of fun with the 3S for a lot less. Now down the line you will end up spending more to upgrade or fix the 3S if you bash it as hard as the 6S. If you take care of the 3S and don't beat it up, it can last a while in stock form. Most people will need to upgrade it out of the box to make it worthy of bashing tho.

I say - if you do hard bashing (huge jump), then definitely consider the 6s, but for more general bashing and "race style" jumps, then the 3s would be just as good, if not nicer to drive, and will also be faster - while it's possible to gear the 6s to be as fast as the cheaper brother when on 4s, it will require some extra cooling.

I say - if you do hard bashing (huge jump), then definitely consider the 6s, but for more general bashing and "race style" jumps, then the 3s would be just as good, if not nicer to drive, and will also be faster - while it's possible to gear the 6s to be as fast as the cheaper brother when on 4s, it will require some extra cooling.
which pinion and what would you use to cool it down?

My calculator says 18t will be needed to match the speed. With this installed I would use a motor fan, there are plenty in the market, but I don’t have experience with any of them.

I just bought the Yeah Racing dual setup for my Typhon 6S build. Fits like a glove.

3S rigs and 6S rigs are different animals. Running on 6S requires more space to run(real estate) But Any 6S rig will run great on a 4S pack. Never been an issue.
Is the price difference between a 6S and 4S lipo all that critical??? I don't see much difference without splitting hairs. IMO. And I have even seen some expensive 3S packs as well.

Word on the 6S needing space. I was messing around today testing the Futaba radio I installed in my 6S Typhon. (Old 4PK - worked great). I was playing around in a remote parking lot with zero car traffic and a dirt field next to it. Lot is 1,000 feet long. Running from end to end I can only get full throttle for a couple of seconds!! Using 35C 5,000 mAh packs.

O.K , I have never seen anyone mention this when debating the 3S vs. the 6s rigs . To me , the 6s rigs drive a lot better because of their center diff instead of a slipper clutch . I had the Typhon 3s only for about a month and sold it to buy the 6s . When you floor the throttle on the 3s it goes sideways most of the time and is hard to control , pull the throttle on the 6s ( with 6s in it ) and it does nothing short of but going straight !!!!! Much easier to drive, more controllable with the 6s rigs IMO .

Word on the 6S needing space. I was messing around today testing the Futaba radio I installed in my 6S Typhon. (Old 4PK - worked great). I was playing around in a remote parking lot with zero car traffic and a dirt field next to it. Lot is 1,000 feet long. Running from end to end I can only get full throttle for a couple of seconds!! Using 35C 5,000 mAh packs.
Space getting up to speed also requires braking distance as well. Need space for sure.

Space getting up to speed also requires braking distance as well. Need space for sure.
That’s what curbs are for. All the breaks you need.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back