Typhon 6S Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jptothetree

Reaction score
Proud new papa of a Typhon 6S (named Bugs). Parts list included below:

As she stands on 7-31-2020 ??

IMG_1079.jpg

:: Parts ::
- JBI Shock Towers
- JConcepts MXB7 ECO Body
- Proline Trencher SC Raid wheels
- TBone Racing bumper
- GDS chassis braces
- Hot Racing wing mount brace
- Hot Racing skid plate
- Raiden Racing aluminum servo mount
- Kyosho 17mm hexes (11mm offset)

:: Tuning ::
- Front 30k fluid :: Center 200k fluid :: Rear 30k fluid ::
- Mugen Shims in every differential
- Running 20t pinion on 4S... well fast enough for me!
- Dumborc X6 transmitter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:Here's where we started on 6-21-2020:

IMG_0691.jpg

First run this morning was awesome, until I took a crash and managed to bust the m3x28 screw on the front right shock tower mount (replacement screws are on the way). Read online that some people be add some fender washers to create a barrier for protection so hopefully that will help prevent this from happening again so easily.

Where the diff fluid levels are at, there is only minimal front tire ballooning and it feels well balanced to my newbie experience level! I'm so stoked with how fast and stable this baby is.

IMG_0696.jpg

Down the road, I think I'll consider a M2C chassis, shock towers and the like! Will keep updating this thread as the changes come. So far, I'm really stoked with this buggy :)

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I'll look into them! Thanks.
And you can tape up your tyres to stop the ballooning...always a problem when running 6S! Works a treat. Lots of suggestions on various media for how to do so and how to get tires off rims, the oven option works best for me, but be sure to soak the tires first so the foam below is soaking wet, limits the damage....but be prepared to have to replace them if need be. Not a huge cost. Typhon is an awesome buggy, had mine almost a year now, many upgrades, and still just keeps getting better. Enjoy!

And you can tape up your tyres to stop the ballooning...always a problem when running 6S! Works a treat. Lots of suggestions on various media for how to do so and how to get tires off rims, the oven option works best for me, but be sure to soak the tires first so the foam below is soaking wet, limits the damage....but be prepared to have to replace them if need be. Not a huge cost. Typhon is an awesome buggy, had mine almost a year now, many upgrades, and still just keeps getting better. Enjoy!
If I every start running this on 6S, I will definitely look into this. As it stands now, running 4S and with the diff fluids as they are, there is only minimal ballooning of the front tires so I'm not worried!

The foam, not the tires....tires are fine as long as not too hot In the oven and you sink them in cold water as soon as you get the rims off.

As beautiful as the M2C shock stand offs are, I really don't feel like paying what they're asking for those (...yet). Some dude online suggested stainless steel screws and fender washers as a cheap protective measure to help beef up the front end. I'll run this for a bit and see how it goes!

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 61
I think the issue is inside to front bell where there is a void that allows the screw to bend and snap. Not sure it breaks on the back side. What’s the idea about the fender washers?

I think the issue is inside to front bell where there is a void that allows the screw to bend and snap. Not sure it breaks on the back side. What’s the idea about the fender washers?

The guy I heard about this from was saying it's just a little something to act as a buffer between the ground and the shock tower (kinda similar to a shock tower guard, I guess?) Regardless of whether it serves that purpose or not, I think the fact that I've changed to stainless steel hardware should help the issue.

If you look at the image below, this is the void space I’m referring to. Had it been the same diameter as the bolt going thru, and not have the large diameter hole instead, there wouldn’t be room for the bolt to bend inside the standoff.

6E996DCE-8040-4829-BB4F-A8A086152F2E.jpeg

I see! Makes sense. Have people put nuts or washers in there to take up the space?
Not that I’m aware of. I know the M2C’s fix this issue by filling that void in their design.

My interpretation of how to mount a truck body to this Typhon. I've not seen other people do this, but I thought it was a simple solution ?‍♂️ I'm only ever going to run the shock standoffs on the outside because I want the most ground clearance, so the inner-most mount slot is available. I threw these body mount posts on so we'll see how it works when my Proline C10 body comes in this week!

Attachments

• IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 50
My interpretation of how to mount a truck body to this Typhon. I've not seen other people do this, but I thought it was a simple solution ?‍♂️ I'm only ever going to run the shock standoffs on the outside because I want the most ground clearance, so the inner-most mount slot is available. I threw these body mount posts on so we'll see how it works when my Proline C10 body comes in this week!
I ended up using the Senton body posts for my Silverado body. This way seems easier. ✌???

The name of my Typhon is now Bugs (the name my wife gave it :p ).

Some pretty big changes coming to Bugs this week -- JBI 6mm shock towers, aluminum servo mount, T-Bone front bumper, Proline C10 body, and Proline Badlands Buggy tires are on the way! Hopefully, the paint job idea I have for the new body will work out like I'm planning.

Last edited:
Bugs got the new aluminum servo mount and new Proline Badlands Buggy tires! Trimmed and mounted my Proline C10 Body as well.

IMG_0795.JPG

Now for the paint job. I'm doing a pink tiger stripe pattern in the center ? I lightly sanded and alcohol cleaned the underside, then drew the patterns I wanted on the outside protective film and followed along on the underneath with acrylic paint.

IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

I'll be finishing up later today with black on the rest of the body, which will totally lock in the acrylic paint. Looking forward to adding the decals and finishing it up!

Stay tuned

Attachments

• IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 41
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back