Typhon Typhon 6s ready for truggie mode. Complete! Now it's a Hybrid!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah. I already put Typhon 6s upper control arms on my Sketer (I broke the stock one) . I also put a rear rod end from a 6s Arma (rod end and ball joint) to replace the rod end that I broke on my Sketer šŸ¤£
Yup, TC gots a bit of work to do yet before they're a threat to an Arrma IMO. I definitely like my Kronos, but it ain't Arrma tough..

Yup, TC gots a bit of work to do yet before they're a threat to an Arrma IMO. I definitely like my Kronos, but it ain't Arrma tough..
Yeah. I will give them this : I haven't been able to bend the chassis on my Sketer. I can't say that about my original Outcast 6s, Kraton 8s EXB, Outcast 8s, Kraton 6s and Typhon 6s. I bent the crap out of the chassis in all those rigs. Now the arms in those rigs were more durable. Hehe

How come I don't see more built from Mojave arms ect? Just a tad wider than the classic Typhon arms w/ Kraton hubs style trugg.

IMG_8002.PNG

More Track Width doesn't necessarily make the Typhon more Stable at all! And depends how you bash it ultimately, and your driving technique.
Just know this ahead of time. Merely using wheels with more postive Off-set will achieve a wider track width and good enough for many. An inexpensive and easily reversible solution to try.
You can do whatever you want there. Make the rig into whatever, 6s parts being all interchangeabble. Even turn it into an 6s OC/Noto if that is what you really wanted all along.
The results are not always worth the changes. I learned to drive my TLRT as is. One of the best driving rigs I own.
I learn to adapt my driving style to the different handling personalities of all my rigs.
My Noto has the same Wheelbase as my Typhon. But the Arms/track width is much wider. As you make the rig more "square" (Track width vs Wheelbase), the rig becomes much harder to control. The Noto is a stunt truck in it's config. And harder to control in general. The Typhon is a standard 1/8 buggy platform. Well balanced as she sits. Just needs good driver input to make it shine as intended.
Just me.:cool:

Edited.

Last edited:
I would actually love to do this. I want some more width/stability out of Typhon. Is there a parts list somewhere of what all I would need?
Pretty short list- Mojave arms, axles, and turnbuckles front and rear. I'm running the narrow hubs for now but you can go w/ the wider hub for a little more width. The shock mounts are in the same location an the Mojave arms so aside from shock adjustment they will be a direct fit there.

More Track Width doesn't necessarily make the Typhon more Stable at all! And depends how you bash it ultimately, and your driving technique.
Just know this ahead of time. Merely using wheels with more postive Off-set will achieve a wider track width and good enough for many. An inexpensive and easily reversible solution to try.
You can do whatever you want there. Make the rig into whatever, 6s parts being all interchangeabble. Even turn it into an 6s OC/Noto if that is what you really wanted all along.
The results are not always worth the changes. I learned to drive my TLRT as is. One of the best driving rigs I own.
I learn to adapt my driving style to the different handling personalities of all my rigs.
My Noto has the same Wheelbase as my Typhon. But the Arms/track width is much wider. As you make the rig more "square" (Track width vs Wheelbase), the rig becomes much harder to control. The Noto is a stunt truck in it's config. And harder to control in general. The Typhon is a standard 1/8 buggy platform. Well balanced as she sits. Just needs good driver input to make it shine as intended.

Edited.
I can see I struck a nerve LOL Breath, it'll be ok. I'm well aware of what each rig is designed for and it's intended purpose. I've had a handful of Outcast's and they all ended up getting parted out because they didn't get ran as much as the others. I'm not a racer, and don't care for that style or format at all. I'm a basher, the track I go to is the motocross track. I'm in Alaska we have big rocks and rough terrain. This isn't my first day, my first rig, or my first build. For me, the Typhon is too narrow and runs too small of a tire. And the Outcast is too wide and looks goofy with LP tires. So I made what suites my driving preference and terrain. And I'm not a fan of running crazy offsets or hex extensions. it adds a ton of scrub steer and roaches out your bearings faster. It's a lazy way to build IMO. Until they come out with the next new model I'll keep busy with my "custom" builds (y)

Pretty short list- Mojave arms, axles, and turnbuckles front and rear. I'm running the narrow hubs for now but you can go w/ the wider hub for a little more width. The shock mounts are in the same location an the Mojave arms so aside from shock adjustment they will be a direct fit there.
That's about what I figured it would be, so nothing crazy. I might have to hit up Jenny's and make it my winter project to try it out.

Edited.
I don't disagree with you, but I think we're talking about something different. You're talking about cornering stability, I'm talking about trying to make it a bit less prone to tipping over sideways on rough terrain.

Last edited:
Very cool!! No old man yelling at you this time about making too much dust, huh? :ROFLMAO: šŸ‘ šŸ» āœŒļø
Hahahahahaha. I haven't seen that bag of air again luckily. And it was drizzling too. Funny that you remembered. We always remember the bad people more than the cool people right? šŸ¤£. Actually, the only thing someone talked to me about was asking about my rig and how cool it was. That's what almost always happens except Mr grouch "I hate the world" older guy šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦šŸ¤¦

So what size pinion are people running with their truggified Typhon 6s and 2.8 tires? I blew another firma ESC, so I think I was over geared honestly. I was thinking 15/16t. Thoughts? I'm running a 16t pinion on my Mojave EXB for comparison, and I still needed to cool off the motor with a fan. I was over geared on all my rigs honestly, and I've geared down with good results.

I run 14t/50 on mine. I also have 2 40mm fans on the motor and one on the esc.....so I don't have heat issues. šŸ˜ āœŒļø

I run 14t/50 on mine. I also have 2 40mm fans on the motor and one on the esc.....so I don't have heat issues. šŸ˜ āœŒļø
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I think I'll do 14t pinion too. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I'll probably be running the Max 6 or the MMX8S on my Typhon 6s with Mojave arms. Oops. So I'll go with the 23t pinion that's on there right now. I was thinking about the stock system (firma stuff, but I forgot about that detail šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚). Good to know anyways šŸ‘šŸ‘. The HW 4985 is on there already. I just need an ESC

So what size pinion are people running with their truggified Typhon 6s and 2.8 tires? I blew another firma ESC, so I think I was over geared honestly. I was thinking 15/16t. Thoughts? I'm running a 16t pinion on my Mojave EXB for comparison, and I still needed to cool off the motor with a fan. I was over geared on all my rigs honestly, and I've geared down with good results.
The Typhon and Mojave have different gear ratios in front and rear diffs? I'm guessing that's why pinion and spur that's right in one is not in the other.

The Typhon and Mojave have different gear ratios in front and rear diffs? I'm guessing that's why pinion and spur that's right in one is not in the other.
Possibly. But I guess all that goes out the door when making Frankenstein rigs like mine. I have EXB K6S diffs in my rig, Typhon chassis, 2.8 tires and on and on. You just have to experiment with the gearing and not over do it when using weak ESCS like the Firma/Arrma 6s one. Those ESCS just don't tolerate higher gearing. They might at the beginning, but they fry after a few runs. That's why most of us go with the Max 6/MMX8S and the bigger motors šŸ‘

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back