Typhon Typhon 6s speed run.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gears are gears so on paper locking the center diff won't matter. What it will do is turn the front and rear diffs at the same rate, which in theory should have more consistent power delivery.

You can use a calculator to give you an estimate of the top speed. This is ideal and the actual speed will be a bit lower.
https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

They also make a 40t gear for stock center diff.if new to spools they can be a challenge to keep together if not put together correctly...here's a 40t,46t an 50t

16684649444487278472135607527463.jpg

166846498760155161357558992314.jpg

1st 4s hit with vendetta gt..ran 129 with single 65c 5000mah with vendetta body,should be able to get close to 129/4s single with this body..find out soon...
1st 4s hit with vendetta gt..ran 129 with single 65c 5000mah with vendetta body,should be able to get close to 129/4s single with this body..find out soon...
OPPS WRONG THREAD.LOL

I have a 46 spur ,,27,29 tooth pin.would I be better off locking centre 46 ,for a higher top speed?
Why not just use a much thicker CST at the center diff. I don't know what speeds you are looking for, or what your current PB even is.
How fast are you going exactly? Need a speed meter if you don't have one already.
500cst at center may even suffice for 100mph passes. How I fly with my 1/7 Infr. Can even go thicker cst as needed. OIl is cheaper than a Lim spool or "diff "Locker". With my Lim, I tend to swap out my spool for a diff. There is a slight difference, depending on where your speeds are at.
At some point, a V1 Limitless spooled center is what you want to use. ( locked) This is what gets you to 130+ MPH.
My spin.:cool:

Personally, I don't think the diff itself has anything to do with what speed you can attain. To my mind, the problem with the diff is that you're limited in the minimum size of a gear you can use by the size of the diff housing (I believe the 40T spur by Robinson Racing is the smallest gear that will fit). This is a limitation that the spool does not have, which allows you to physically go down all the way to a 13T spool gear. As you go down in KV (particularly with large can TP motors), smaller center gears become a necessity to reach higher speeds and the TTC limits of motor mounts will make going ever larger on the pinion gear impossible if you're running a large center diff gear. My take. :)

^^^
I'm jealous.:love:
Nice.
Personally, I don't think the diff itself has anything to do with what speed you can attain. To my mind, the problem with the diff is that you're limited in the minimum size of a gear you can use by the size of the diff housing (I believe the 40T spur by Robinson Racing is the smallest gear that will fit). This is a limitation that the spool does not have, which allows you to physically go down all the way to a 13T spool gear. As you go down in KV (particularly with large can TP motors), smaller center gears become a necessity to reach higher speeds and the TTC limits of motor mounts will make going ever larger on the pinion gear impossible if you're running a large center diff gear. My take. :)
I realize the gearing potential with a spool is superior.(y) Limitless.
Depending on your speed objective, A diff will work to some point. Albeit with limited ratios.
I just feel that when I use the diff, and if the oil is too thin, the rig becomes hard to hook up, a bit more unstable at a certain higher speeds. And Speed will usually take slight hit by comparison.
Why I mentioned using a very thick diff oil as one altenative. Diffs vs locked are a different animal IMHO.:unsure:
And simply using a locker inside a diff may not always be the best alternative. Again based on your speed objective. Gearing needed,

:cool:

Last edited:
I have a 46 spur ,,27,29 tooth pin.would I be better off locking centre 46 ,for a higher top speed?
With that gearing, your are looking at maybe a solid 100-110+mph give or take, comfortable passes.( 29 Pinion) Electrics to be considered also . Punch all the way down will make it much easier to get to full power. I think locking it can't hurt. If you already have a Diff Locker there. Using very thick oil would probabably bring the same result at these speeds. Going forward with taller gearing and higher speeds, you may want a spool.
It is all trial and error. What works for you.

I realize the gearing potential with a spool is superior.(y) Limitless.
Depending on your speed objective, A diff will work to some point. Albeit with limited ratios.
I just feel that when I use the diff, and if the oil is too thin, the rig becomes hard to hook up, a bit more unstable at a certain higher speeds. And Speed will usually take slight hit by comparison.
Why I mentioned using a very thick diff oil as one altenative. Diffs vs locked are a different animal IMHO.:unsure:
And simply using a locker inside a diff may not always be the best alternative. Again based on your speed objective. Gearing needed,
+1
The speed running scene has moved away from diff lockers front and rear. At the time when I got into it they were all the rage but (thankfully) I never got them. I think they're more useful in drag racing since it eliminates all the weak bits in the middle.

Yeah I never felt locked diffs fronts and rears were a thing for me at all. You can't keep the power down if all is locked at high speeds. It is a Crawler thing.
But yeah many do it only because the next guy did it. :unsure: Is Raz still doing this for his 180+ mph runs? IDK?
Never made any sense to me, to be honest. ;)
I have seen guys use diff lockers at all 3 diffs. Just for Bashing.:rolleyes:
Only because they don't understand diffs and get frustrated with filling them, buying oil, building them. Like it is some crutch. Easy way out.
Diffs work well if you understand them. How to dial them.
Need them just like our scale vehicles.

Edit.

With 4WD Drag running, 132ft pulls is nothing IMHO. Lockers can work. Makes more sense. If you have a good setup. Still hard to get clean off the line however. And Wheelie bars aid with that.

Last edited:
Why not just use a much thicker CST at the center diff. I don't know what speeds you are looking for, or what your current PB even is.
How fast are you going exactly? Need a speed meter if you don't have one already.
500cst at center may even suffice for 100mph passes. How I fly with my 1/7 Infr. Can even go thicker cst as needed. OIl is cheaper than a Lim spool or "diff "Locker". With my Lim, I tend to swap out my spool for a diff. There is a slight difference, depending on where your speeds are at.
At some point, a V1 Limitless spooled center is what you want to use. ( locked) This is what gets you to 130+ MPH.
My spin.:cool:
I have a typhon 6s v4 ,still running blx,up to 85 ,with 46,27 ,no diff locker ,but I have a 34 spool ,haven't used it yet ,and i do have 29 pin.just wanted to try hit 100 .think that's plenty good for a typhon.wife saying cant start limitless build till I hit 100.lofl

I have a typhon 6s v4 ,still running blx,up to 85 ,with 46,27 ,no diff locker ,but I have a 34 spool ,haven't used it yet ,and i do have 29 pin.just wanted to try hit 100 .think that's plenty good for a typhon.wife saying cant start limitless build till I hit 100.lofl
I'd say that's a fair deal. I like the way your wife thinks. :)

Yeah I never felt locked diffs fronts and rears were a thing for me at all. You can't keep the power down if all is locked at high speeds. It is a Crawler thing.
But yeah many do it only because the next guy did it. :unsure: Is Raz still doing this for his 180+ mph runs? IDK?
Never made any sense to me, to be honest. ;)
I have seen guys use diff lockers at all 3 diffs. Just for Bashing.:rolleyes:
Only because they don't understand diffs and get frustrated with filling them, buying oil, building them. Like it is some crutch. Easy way out.
Diffs work well if you understand them. How to dial them.
Need them just like our scale vehicles.

Edit.

With 4WD Drag running, 132ft pulls is nothing IMHO. Lockers can work. Makes more sense. If you have a good setup. Still hard to get clean off the line however. And Wheelie bars aid with that.
I think Raz has moved to running diffs front and rear again. I'm not 100% certain on that, but pretty sure.

Yeah Raz is always trying different things.
Some how he always makes it work.:LOL:
Has he broke 195 mph yet?
I'm waiting for 200+.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back