Typhon typhon 6s V3 rear diff bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cryogenius

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just joined the forum.
I brought my first brushless 1/8th typhon6s v3 after years being a 1/8 Nitro on road fan.

The typhon was a reasonable 2nd hand deal with charger and 2x3s lipos so I took the plunge. The owner insisted that it's only been run a few times but I'm doubting that.

Unfortunately I can't post the video, but I took a slow mo video and notice that there was a lot more wheelspin and power drive to the front wheels than the back? Is the rear diff not putting power down equally to back wheels? Is my rear diff worn or is it normal?

But I should say it runs very quick and nothing I would have notice if it wasn't for a slow mo video.

Last edited:
The owner insisted that it's only been run a few times but I'm doubting that.

Rule of thumb I have learned to apply when buying used items with no reliable way to validate the owner's claims about previous use: Take the number they give you and move up by an order of magnitude. "A few" (3) = 30, "a couple dozen or so" (30) = 300, and so forth.

Wrt your problem, it sounds like the centre diff is low on oil, or the previous owner has used oil that is too thin. The centre diff is responsible for front/rear power distribution and if either of the aforementioned issues are present, it will unload power preferentially to the front when the front wheels lift off the ground under acceleration. Stock oil in the Typhon 6s is thin from the factory and they tend to under-fill them. You can probably correct it by filling the diff with oil (look in the manual to find the appropriate weight) or moving up in oil weight. Good luck.

Rule of thumb I have learned to apply when buying used items with no reliable way to validate the owner's claims about previous use: Take the number they give you and move up by an order of magnitude. "A few" (3) = 30, "a couple dozen or so" (30) = 300, and so forth.

Wrt your problem, it sounds like the centre diff is low on oil, or the previous owner has used oil that is too thin. The centre diff is responsible for front/rear power distribution and if either of the aforementioned issues are present, it will unload power preferentially to the front when the front wheels lift off the ground under acceleration. Stock oil in the Typhon 6s is thin from the factory and they tend to under-fill them. You can probably correct it by filling the diff with oil (look in the manual to find the appropriate weight) or moving up in oil weight. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply and expertise...much appreciated. I will look into a denser central diff oil. Could you recommend something? Thanks again

Stock in the newer Typhon models is 10k cSt. I'd probably start with a proper fill of that and see how much improvement it gives. If it's still unloading too much move up to 20k. Some people like to run very thick oil (100k+) in the centre diff which reduces unloading to a minimum but you also sacrifice handling, mainly traction on loose surfaces and off-power steering.

I should note that what you describe may be normal and there may be nothing wrong. Some unloading and front wheelspin is expected as this is what the diff is designed to do to distribute power under acceleration and give you a straight, controlled launch off the line. I only worry about it if it's really excessive for my driving style to the point I'm ballooning and blowing out tires.

Welcome,are you familiar with jennyrc???best place to buy new,stock parts...if new to this an it being used ride sometimes it's best to just hit up jenny.but open up diff cup an go heavier...I speedrun an only use the thickest..20 million

Screenshot_20220514-133335_Chrome.jpg

Stock in the newer Typhon models is 10k cSt. I'd probably start with a proper fill of that and see how much improvement it gives. If it's still unloading too much move up to 20k. Some people like to run very thick oil (100k+) in the centre diff which reduces unloading to a minimum but you also sacrifice handling, mainly traction on loose surfaces and off-power steering.

I should note that what you describe may be normal and there may be nothing wrong. Some unloading and front wheelspin is expected as this is what the diff is designed to do to distribute power under acceleration and give you a straight, controlled launch off the line. I only worry about it if it's really excessive for my driving style to the point I'm ballooning and blowing out tires.
My first bash with 6s...yes lots of ballooning see the pic. I have ordered some 30kcst for the center diff. On straights with speed getting a fair amount of lift and the front almost bouncing around. Hopefully a refill of 30k in yhe centre diff settles it. Fyi..Punch setting is default.

Also on turning right, I lift front and rest right wheels and visa versa and end up rolling the car. What can I do for that?

But blimey what power and speed! I'm blown away by these brushless motors.

Screenshot_20220517-133540_Gallery.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back