Typhon 6s v5 cancellation upgrade!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eowyman

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone as you can I'm a newb to the forum and to the R/C world. My question is: Do I need to change my gearing when I install the 160 amp esc and 1250kv motor? I don't want to destroy anything else as I have had one to many crashes so I basically rebuilt my car. I upgraded my receiver from the stock RTR one and Im guessing it fried my esc idk! anyway I sent the receiver and esc back to horizon hobby since I only had it a month. the receiver was replaced but they won't have my stock esc until April disappointing right!!! So since eventually I'll be getting the 150 amp esc back I decided to purchase the 160amp esc any suggestions or should I not install the 160amp esc and 1250kv motor????? Thanx in advance.

I would install it as it's an upgrade over the 150A spektrum combo. You will also have 8s capability with the 160A combo. With the drop in kv of the motor you will need to gear up on your pinion or you will loose your top end speed you had with the 2050kv motor.

In a typhon, That motor can work. But can you handle it. You admit you are new and all, and it seems like driver error with just the stock setup was hard enough for you. Breaking things and all.
What you can do is use the 160amp ESC (8s), keep the stock motor and continue running 6s. Installing the 160 ESC will be tight I am sure.
1250Kv in there will be a bear. Sure it can be done. Tight under Typhon body though.
Driving 8s in the Typhon may be a bit much for you. You will be breaking much. The V5 diffs and drivetrain will need more attention.
Just me.
Others might have their ideas on this.

How big of a pinion should I run? I currently have the 20t installed on the 2050kv
In a typhon, That motor can work. But can you handle it. You admit you are new and all, and it seems like driver error with just the stock setup was hard enough for you. Breaking things and all.
What you can do is use the 160amp ESC (8s), keep the stock motor and continue running 6s. Installing the 160 ESC will be tight I am sure.
1250Kv in there will be a bear. Sure it can be done. Tight under Typhon body though.
Driving 8s in the Typhon may be a bit much for you. You will be breaking much. The V5 diffs and drivetrain will need more attention.
Just me.
Others might have their ideas on this.
thanx for the advice I read somewhere that the 160 amp esc could possibly melt the bullets on the 2050kv is this at all true before I try it your way

How big of a pinion should I run? I currently have the 20t installed on the 2050kv

thanx for the advice I read somewhere that the 160 amp esc could possibly melt the bullets on the 2050kv is this at all true before I try it your way
Ya don't think the bullets will be melted that's a new one never heard that before lmao. I would go to like 25-27t with the 1250kv on 6s

I would say the 160A ESC would be fine to use, but only on 6S. Fitting an 8S lipo under the Typhon body would be a squeeze, but I'd say the Typhon doesn't really need 8S unless you're doing speed runs

I would definitely not use a 1250kv motor in the Typhon. That would be complete overkill of torque IMO and would be better suited for larger scale cars with larger diameter tyres. It will fit in the stock motor mount, but I'll hazard a guess that you'll have to gear up to 30+ tooth pinions on 6S to reach similar speeds to the stock setup. Run times are usually shorter with lower Kv motors too

Watch this video from Innovation RC about motors. It might sound a bit advanced but it may be worth watching:

Isn't the largest pinion you can run on a stock motor mount only 23T 🤔 if your using the 50T spur...
If you fit that 1250kv motor with the extra weight all you're doing is making a slow Typhon, if your original motor still works stick with that. If your just bashing and not trying to go as fast as you can I would suggest 17-18T pinion.
Good luck

If you run 6s , there should be no problem. Just match the bullets to the160A ESC whatever they are. On 6s, the motor will not get those amps. Only on 8s.
Many have even run 8s on a 2050 BLX stocker they had lying around and found it can work.. With special considerations made. Good motor bearings well lubed etc. for Speed running etc.
Just run that ESC on 6s. 🤷‍♂️ Till you upgrade to another motor and and are daring enough to run 8s.
That's your call.

I just did this switch with my Talion. The bullets on the 160A (6.5mm I believe) are different and won't connect with the 2050KV motor unless you get the bullets on the 2050KV soldered to match. I haven't run it yet due to bad weather here in Philly. But once the weather clears up I'll post an update. It was a nightmare trying to get the 1250KV into my Talion especially with the larger heat sink and fan. But I squeezed it in. Don't know much about Typhons except I know they're even smaller than a Talion. I also had to shave the legs off the 160A and tack it down with 10lb 3M velcro. And I'm only gonna run on 6S. I wanted to gear up and get more torque and power without worrying about heat. Those 2050KVs can heat up pretty good if you start gearing up. Anything past 18 or 20T and you'll have some problems...and that's on 6S.

1250/160 Combo with Fan attached. Hooking up SR6110AT receiver and Reefs Raw 500 Servo (Talion V4)
1250KV:160A ESC (with fan-top).jpeg

Close-up view of 1250/160 combo after finally getting the heat sink and fan fitted. I installed 3 washers at each fan screw point to give a little space between the fan and heat sink using my own screws. Stock screws are m4-16 and I used m4-20mm. Gonna start off with a 22T pionion and 46T spur. Switch diff fluids to 500k center and 100k front and rear before I run. (Talion V4)
Motor:ESC Closeup.jpg

1250/160 combo before I figured out how to get the fan and heat sink on. As you can see its tight as a virgin!!!
1250KV (no fan).jpeg

Top view without the fan...not a lot of room to work with on a Talion V4 (especially cause I wanted to keep the center support)
1250KV:160A ESC (no fan-top).jpeg

1250KV:160A ESC (with fan).jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back