Granite Typhon arms/axles/hexes are better than Hot Racing extensions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the cleanest I've had the truck in months. It's dirty again already. :)

You plug the fan into your receiver for power. Plugs in just like your servo and esc. You'll need at least a 3 channel receiver to hook it up since the servo and receiver are taking up 2 channels.

I bought the fan from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083DX5J57/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just got this one, so I can't say how durable it is.

I had this one before. https://www.amazon.com/Tornado-Alum...rnado&qid=1596714759&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-10 Very durable, survived hard bashes for months. Unfortunately the wires got frayed where they rub against the case. The new fan has a very similar design, so I think it's equally likely to fray the wires, I'm just being a little more careful to place the wires so they don't move around so much this time.

Definitely get a fan with an aluminum case. The plastic Arrma fan got completely trashed after two bashes.

I purchased the first fan you listed and had before your replacement. Did you have an issue getting a bit when you screwed the fan down to the fins.

I can squeeze the fins together to get a little bit but fins will loosen and nowhere near tight when screwed down. Did you have this issue one the first fan if so how did you resolve?

I purchased the first fan you listed and had before your replacement. Did you have an issue getting a bit when you screwed the fan down to the fins.

I can squeeze the fins together to get a little bit but fins will loosen and nowhere near tight when screwed down. Did you have this issue one the first fan if so how did you resolve?
Yes I had the same issue, I also squeezed the fins together. Once squeezed close enough, they hold the screws. I actually have to use another tool to hold the fins apart a bit to get a screw started. I wouldn't try to tighten the screws too much, you can probably always get them to spin. Right now, one of my screws is not in particularly tight, but the fan stays on and the screw doesn't back out, so I'm fine with it.

Have you changed the oil weight with the longer arms? I am thinking of bumping it up to at least 35W-425CST or 40W-500CST

What tires are those?

Those are the Duratrax Stakker 2.8 MT. I wanted the Duratrax Lockups MT but could not find so bought these. Many don’t like them but work well for me and hookup damn good like the OEM to better. Now they are like hell out of balance so it took a lot of clay to get them balanced on my balancer. I did not vent them on the outside although I emailed Horizon Hobby to ask since I got them off eBay from them and they said not belted and I could. They are cheaper feel compared to my older Bandlands so I used used the o-rings vs.venting fear they could tear. Rings work good and on ground no ballooning. Yes balloon if I spun them on the bench...but in bashing on ground no ballooning with the rings.

Have you changed the oil weight with the longer arms? I am thinking of bumping it up to at least 35W-425CST or 40W-500CST

I have the same setup and kept the oil at 10K I ready on another post there for a vet user could get into issues with rear going about 20k... As for the arms change no need change weight if you did not want to it runs good and stable.... my $0.02

The oil weight I'm talking about is shocks, not diffs. I'm thinking longer arms, more leverage/torque, so hoping the viscosity a little.

Thanks for the info on the tires.

Just did a test run with the Typhon arms. DDDAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN that's a good upgrade. I still have some alignment dialing in to do, but wow is that an increase in stability.

I've been running Hot Racing 10mm extensions on my Granite since March. The extra width definitely definitely provided a big performance improvement over stock. However, the loc-tite needed to keep the wheels on was breaking loose regularly. Also, I was snapping axles too often, which I think is exacerbated by the loc-tite.

I just switched to Typhon arms/axles/hexes. Mainly for durability. The Typhon axles are much thicker. The pin is kept in by the wheel AND a screw. They don't rely on loc-tite to keep the wheels on. The arms still provide extra width and the hexes still provide 17mm wheel compatibility. I just installed them, but judging by the way they are setup, I expect them to be much more durable and reliable than the stock Granite axles with Hot Racing extensions.

*update - I'm SO happy with the Typhon axles, nuts, and hexes, they have been rock solid. Multiple bashes and hard hits but zero problems. However, the longer arms do change the handling/suspension a bit. There's more A-arm flex (I'm using RPM arms). Better for preventing rollover, but steering response is a bit looser. After adjusting suspension, camber, and toe out accordingly, I'd say I prefer the overall performance of the Typhon arms over the Hot Racing extensions. As far as durability goes, there's no contest, the Typhon axles, nuts, and hexes are MUCH better.
Little late to the party!! lol I WENT WITH A lot of GPM Racing parts on my ARRMA Typhon and it really took a lot of slop out of the steering.
Also got a new HR bellcrank, new servo, and all GPM Racing rear and front c-hubs, and the car drives awesome.
I'm getting ready to put in all 6s electronics, motor and ESC to beef her up a bit
IMG_5524.jpg
GPM Racing Rear knunckle & C-Hub.jpeg
129100982_10225213077502707_3234639983793916969_o.jpg

Little late to the party!! lol I WENT WITH A lot of GPM Racing parts on my ARRMA Typhon and it really took a lot of slop out of the steering.
Also got a new HR bellcrank, new servo, and all GPM Racing rear and front c-hubs, and the car drives awesome.
I'm getting ready to put in all 6s electronics, motor and ESC to beef her up a bit
View attachment 112233View attachment 112237View attachment 112238
Watch your weight, I got 6s systems in brcc & senton.to much weight and its no fun to drive..esc,motor,extra packs add lots of weight.not sure what system you are gonna run,ive tried multiple different combos.h-wing quicrun 150a is the best for 1/10.IMO..small,light,cheap,lots of options,2,3,4,5,6s capability.5s is great option.4068-2650kv best motor IMO.light,cheap,FAST,6s capability.6s is to much.i run them on 4s most of the time.6s when ripping parking lots.ran 78mph an truck was going airborne. Had more in it.

20200717_182323.jpg

20200920_100936.jpg

Screenshot_20201108-151143_Chrome.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back