Typhon Typhon at the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GT1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Finally made it to my local indoor track( http://www.raceemrc.com/ ).

When I got there the locals asked me if I brought my repair kit(jokers), the brand is definitely unknown here, most are running Team Assoc, Losi, or Tekno. So they thought maybe the Arrma("what's an Arrma?") was going to be in trouble. It didn't take too long see it was legit and trackworthy, the car can hold its own and then some. Very rugged. I cartwheeled, end over end flipped all night. No breaks, bends, nothing gave up the ghost, and some impacts were loud and the track is brutal when you leave it, I thought it was over several times, but the marshals picked up, gave a look, and dropped her, ready to go again.
Nothing was any faster down the stretch, no one could pass me anyway. When I did things right, the car absolutely flew over the big triple, and went through the kinks as well as any other there. Oh, my diffs are untouched, they held up fine, no need to change out the stock oil yet either as I don't know the difference. Stock Dboot tires were used also. Traction was poor at first, and got a little better as the track dried some. Definitely going to need something different for the hard clay. A lot of my foibles were due to the whole car just sliding sideways instead of holding the line.

I could not be more pleased overall though. What a great time.

Man that seens like fun was it hard learning the track and handling. I play with rc tring to reach top speed and have been thinking put a 3s in the typhon and go to the track. What batts r u running ? Whats your setup?

My set up is basically out of the box. I am new to track running. It is a whole different deal than just bashing around. You quickly learn that when you try to get around the track zigzagging from barrier to barrier. :)
The front and back of the Typhon is basically the same as the Durango DEX8, and that is a clone of the Mugen as far as the front and rear suspension, which is a great buggy, and why the Typhon handles very well right off. The main parts from the Durango and Mugen swap right on the Typhon too. Arms, hubs, shock towers, all those front and back(A lot don't, but those parts do).

The track rules at my place is 4s hard case, though 2 or 3s would be fine too. I have a SMC 4s 60C and a SPC 4s 65C, both packs are 6500 mah.
There is so much power on tap that I turned my current limiter down to 85% and still didn't notice less juice. The high bite track makes acceleration just brutal, awesome fun. I could make the triple with less than a 10 foot run at it.
The main deal is to have decent tires, and while the stock Dboots were drivable sort of, hard pack clay tires are what is needed for my track. 90% of the set up is tires. I have a set of AKA Typos and a set of Proline Primes on the way now. I chose the long lasting types as super softs wear out too fast and 1/8 race tires are the main cost of ebuggy.

I am not planning to race, I just run on practice days for fun. And there are usually a couple other guys that will mock race anyway. Plenty of fun and again, a world away from back yard bashing.

Last edited:
IMG_0251.jpg

20' projection screen showing live updates for stats so you can keep track while in the pits.
IMG_0259.jpg

It is pretty cool.
The same place is building a much larger outdoor 1/8 off road and a outdoor dirt oval right next to this building. They will race under the lights at night this summer.
There is also talk of redoing the indoor and making an oval with infield off road mix. (they reconfigure the indoor every few months.)

It is ten minutes away from me, I am pretty lucky to have it for a local track.

Last edited:
Some video from a race last year, different track configuration. I didn't even know this place was here until after I bought my Typhon a few weeks ago. I just got it to bash and mess around with. I have wanted a 1/8 buggy for about 30 years. Once I saw this place, I just had to go and see if I sucked, I do. :D But I will get better.

wow I'm going to agree with Lunchbox! I would flip if I had those tracks locally. hope you had fun teaching them about Arrma! what about wing mount? no breakage? just snapped mine 2 days ago.

I wish I had a local track... live near chicago but sadly im sure no one goes to those so they shut down :(
this one is an hour and thirty away from me

toooo far for me

I have been to the track 5 times I think. I have improved enough to know the Typhon is great and can easily hold its own with the RC8e, the Losi 3, and Tekno buggies that show up there. 90% of it is driver, and having decent tires When I do it right the car flies as well, handles great(very planted) and fast enough to compare to Castle and Tekin big money combos just fine.

I still have the original wing mount on it, have a RPM mount in the box in case, no need yet. Mine is very flexi-bendy. I have crashed many times, of boy have I crashed. :D
I haven't broken a thing yet, amazingly enough. I did throw a inner front hub bearing last outing. All new inner and outer higher quality bearings on all corners now, just did that today.
I think I have tweaked the rear tower a bit, it is so slight I'm not even sure if I have. I have another in the pit box I got for $10 off ebay, but see no need. I am contemplating getting the CF set a German guy sells for the Typhon, because huge track coming(see below)
This track is basically a SCT track, you should see the outdoor track they are building here. 200 foot down the back straight, the big triple is like 50 foot gap, huge track. There is a pretty good size outdoor dirt oval going in right next to it, also.

They are tearing out the current indoor this week and building an indoor oval/off road in the infield combo.

RE: justatree, have you seen leisure hours? Joliet IL
http://leisurehoursraceway.com/

Last edited:
I have been to the track 5 times I think. I have improved enough to know the Typhon is great and can easily hold its own with the RC8e, the Losi 3, and Tekno buggies that show up there. 90% of it is driver, and having decent tires When I do it right the car flies as well, handles great(very planted) and fast enough to compare to Castle and Tekin big money combos just fine.

I still have the original wing mount on it, have a RPM mount in the box in case, no need yet. Mine is very flexi-bendy. I have crashed many times, of boy have I crashed. :D
I haven't broken a thing yet, amazingly enough. I did throw a inner front hub bearing last outing. All new inner and outer higher quality bearings on all corners now, just did that today.
I think I have tweaked the rear tower a bit, it is so slight I'm not even sure if I have. I have another in the pit box I got for $10 off ebay, but see no need. I am contemplating getting the CF set a German guy sells for the Typhon, because huge track coming(see below)
This track is basically a SCT track, you should see the outdoor track they are building here. 200 foot down the back straight, the big triple is like 50 foot gap, huge track. There is a pretty good size outdoor dirt oval going in right next to it, also.

They are tearing out the current indoor this week and building an indoor oval/off road in the infield combo.

RE: justatree, have you seen leisure hours? Joliet IL
Yup in fact that is also 1 hour 30 away oh dear I am right in the middle :( maybe one day I can go to one haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back