Typhon Typhon beach runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trillium

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi guys, was just wondering if its best to avoid sandy salty beaches with Arrma machines to avoid salt damage or do these things embrace the stuff..? I have an expanse of hard packed sandy flatland around me but haven't dared bash it yet as I don't want my Typhon to corrode away and seize the bearings etc. Also how do you clean your machines if you do get them covered in crud?

Thanks for any info

I always avoid the salty stuff, you can do it but maintenance has to be spot on or you will ruin the car. A lot of the tracks add sand and it does not destroy the cars. Salt water is what will cause the most damage.

I always avoid the salty stuff, you can do it but maintenance has to be spot on or you will ruin the car. A lot of the tracks add sand and it does not destroy the cars. Salt water is what will cause the most damage.
You clean the cars with air compressor, a brush, rag w/ simple green and WD40.

Have a slash 4x4 - got it for my 10 yr old back in May for his birthday. Had a Castle Sidewinder 3 combo in there. Took it to the beach for July 4th weekend on Sag Harbor in Long Island.... Oliver and I ran it on the beach a few times...
It stopped working about a week later and when I took it to my LHS - they looked at it for a few minutes and asked me "when was this near salt water?" So I told them and thats when i found out Salt Water is the arch enemy of ESCs and Lipos....absolutely destroyed...

I hit the Beach once a yr with all of my RCs. It's hard on them and they require more maintenance afterward, but too much fun not to do. If you stay in the dry sand, it's not as bad as the wet.

hmm ok, so as suspected I will stay well clear of it then. I know I don't have the time to bash and clean to that depth as soon as I get home so the car would just rot. Such a shame though as there are miles of untapped flat land and dunes just begging to be punished lol. Roll on all carbon/ plastic cars and ceramic bearings :rolleyes:

Fisherman have a saying - Saltwater will destroy anything that is not saltwater, or fish. LOL

OTOH, beach bashing can be a lot of fun. Be ready to replace all electronics and bearings within a month or so after a beach run, though. Lots of cleaning the same evening can save a lot of dead gear, but not all...

well said Jerry - I destroyed our Slash 4x4 running on the beach...Its a slow death....I didn't know anything and never even washed off....a week later esc connections turned green and Lipos were done....

I have been running on beach sand since November,other than sand blast finish to my rear shocks and chassis plate things are still running great.Dry beach sand isn't to bad,use a aircompressor to clean and oil metal parts that may rust.

Sorry was talking about salt water bud - sand is fine but that salt water is a nightmare. I went on my honeymoon in Kauai - went to wahnihi beach for wind surf & greenery. What a great time - that place is MAGICAL bro...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sorry was talking about salt water bud - sand is fine but that salt water is a nightmare. I went on my honeymoon in Kauai - went to wahnihi beach for wind surf & greenery. What a great time - that place is MAGICAL bro...
That's all i run on as Kauai is surrounded by saltwater!Sand blasted rear shocks and chassis.

Took my Voltage out on the beach with some paddle tires. The sand wasn't much of a problem, but the salt water tried to kill everything it could. Luckily the Voltage is as plastic as these cars come, so it survived. There was at least a little rust on every bit of steel, stainless or not. The lasting damage was a Lipo and the bearings in the wheelie bar, but the Lipo probably died from over-discharging thanks to unbalanced cells rather than from the salt water. I would have zero problems taking a truck out on sand dunes, as that was tons of fun, but I plan to avoid the actual ocean if I can in the future.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back