Typhon Typhon bumper options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mb_248

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Vorteks
What other bumpers have held up the best for bashing with the typhon 3s? I'd like to stick with something from one of the other arrma 3s or 4s models with the hopes that my local hobby shop will have them in stock.

The vorteks bumper has held up great:

4D3572AB-3832-449B-A6CA-94C3D91F30FF.jpeg

I have actually taken the bumper off my son's granite and put it on the typhon just to see what it looked like. We have two vorteks as well. I'll try a couple different ones. Thought about trying to make some kind of guard or protective case for the front shock tower as well.

That looks good! Can I ask what you belted the tires with? I've seen references to (hydraulic?) o-rings, but I'm not quite sure what types people are referring to.
I 3D printed my own rings out of a flexible plastic called TPU. It behaves more like rubber than plastic. Those same rings have been on the tires for almost two years.

Last edited:
I 3D printed my own rings out of a flexible plastic called TPU. It behaves more like plastic than rubber. Those same rings have been on the tires for almost two years.

Well that's an awesome idea! Thanks. I have a 3D printer, and some TPU which I haven't tried yet. I have a few other things I could also try, for belting, but something that doesn't need to be tied sounds kind of nice. Especially since, for printed rings, you could just print extras. I assume they're still CA glued to the tires?

That's a nice tread pattern for belting, too. They gave you nice grooves to ride in.

I assume they're still CA glued to the tires?
Nope. I figured I'd just stretch them over the tires to see if they'd hold, and plan B was to use some glue. I never needed the glue 🤷‍♂️

I was pretty new to 3D printing at the time and had to try quite a few times to get the sizing and thickness right. Tall enough to not squish the tires, but short enough to prevent ballooning. Thick enough to hold but thin enough to stretch a little.

They've been perfect. Completely eliminated ballooning on those tires without any noticeable adverse effects to longevity or drivability.

Edit: that wing is TPU as well. If my memory serves me right it was a design by @Camaroboy383

Nope. I figured I'd just stretch them over the tires to see if they'd hold, and plan B was to use some glue. I never needed the glue 🤷‍♂️

I was pretty new to 3D printing at the time and had to try quite a few times to get the sizing and thickness right. Tall enough to not squish the tires, but short enough to prevent ballooning. Thick enough to hold but thin enough to stretch a little.

They've been perfect. Completely eliminated ballooning on those tires without any noticeable adverse effects to longevity or drivability.

Edit: that wing is TPU as well. If my memory serves me right it was a design by @Camaroboy383
That is very cool, and sounds worth trying. I was thinking of trying the belting concept by maybe wrapping some thin wire around the tires, as an easy way to just test ballooning improvements.

Printing a wing sounds pretty slick. Or, frankly, being able to design & print a variety of car parts seems pretty awesome. Especially if you have an existing part to measure, for modeling up a replacement, or modified version. Guards for stuff, wings, wing mounts, protective covers, etc. The sky.... well, the ground's the limit!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back