Typhon Typhon esc fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rated///m

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I turned my Typhon on yesterday and was going through pre flight checklist and suddenly my esc started flaming. Any others with this issue? I hadn't even run the car yet so it was cool. Had to throw some dirt on it to put out the flames, I've had a li-po battery explode on me and don't want to go through that again. I think I need to carry an extinguisher with me going forward.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 156
WOAH! More info please. Like Woody asked, what battery type, and C rating.

I'm really curious as to why it looks like it burnt up at the base of the ESC, and in the loop there. Makes me think somehow there was a short in the loop connection. That's very odd man. Looks like a V3 Typhon based upon electronics there. I would contact Arrma right away. They should take care of you.

Yea, weird. No wiring mods. ESC battery cable desoldered. Just flamed out of nowhere. Arrma has been contacted just waiting for a reply. Also no visible cuts in the wire so not sure how short would have happened. Has to be an esc issue.

There were issues going around with the BLX180 ESC, but nothing I have heard about with the BLX185. That sucks man. Hope you get a quick response from them. Heard they have been really good lately with helping people.

Thanks, fires in a LiPo car are always scary, just glad battery didn't catch on fire. Awesome car otherwise though (except stock tires).

There were issues going around with the BLX180 ESC, but nothing I have heard about with the BLX185. That sucks man. Hope you get a quick response from them. Heard they have been really good lately with helping people.
There have been a few BLX185 fires. They are not as common as with the old BLX180, though. Any ESC can fail, any lipo can fail.

you may contact Horizon Hobbies directly. If you are in the USA they have a 1-800 number you can call, or get on the website chat. I have had to contact them a few times over the years, and HH does good with the CS. However - I am pretty sure the BLX185 is backordered. So maybe contact them for a warranty replacement, but also you may want to order a replacement while you wait.

Thanks I'll give them a call. I have a XLX coming in soon for my xmaxx, I may just use that.

Yes, thanks that was a factor in my decision but went ahead with it anyway. I rarely drive in wet.

Yes, thanks that was a factor in my decision but went ahead with it anyway. I rarely drive in wet.
I just wanted to make sure you knew/remembered because I would hate to see a $200 ESC go up over something that was overlooked/forgotten.

I agree. After seized bearings, rusted screw heads, rusted hinge pins and everything else that comes with it, I keep mine dry now. I have the XLX in my HPI Baja 5B SS and I like it, but if something happens to it, I think I am going to try the Hobbywing Max5, but hopefully that's a ways away.

Haven't had time to call Horizon but I would at least have expected a reply to my multiple emails. Calling today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back