Typhon Typhon for racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goolie90

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey all,
Any recommended upgrades or tweaks for the Typhon for racing? Looking to do it on a budget so didn't want to fork out for an expensive kit..... yet. IIhave a Hobbywing Xerun XR8 plus 1900kv combo on order and have tuned the diffs already. Thank guys

It's pretty good for racing stock. The motor upgrade will be nice. First thing anybody should do with the Typhon is get better tires. I raced my v3 typhon straight out of the box. Tires were crap. Your local track should be experts on what tires work the best for their conditions.

When I was running mine on the track, I did the following; Tires, Durango shocks, Voltage Towers, receiver to pair it with my Futaba radio. That alone made a big difference and really was able to run with anyone. A servo is a nice addition too. Other than that, not much else to do. Would be nice to shed some weight, but it is what it is. When you get the suspension dialed, the thing can really carve an inside line and stay put, in a corner. I was impressed with it.

#1 good tires. Find out what the local fast guys run and buy that.
#2 fast servo. Get something that is around 0.10s, and 13k-15kg torque. You don't need 20k torque for the buggy.
#3 decent radio. Something with some programing features, EPA adjustments, throttle curves / expo, model memory. Use the Model memory to set a "racing" profile, and dial the throttle back to 60% for your first track outing.
#3 shock setup - Go talk to the Mugen guys at the track, and see if they will share their set-up. The Typhon is very similar to the MBX7rE, so setup should share pretty good.
#4 Track time. Get some practice time at the track whenever you can. Wheel time will quickly be the most important upgrade. Learn to drive SMOOTH rather than fast. Work on braking early and running a good line thru the corner, rather than trying to carry speed and end up going wide. Roll the jumps, rather than SEND IT! Slower is faster.

Don't stress too much over motor / ESC / Batteries. As long as your batteries are decent 5000mah, 50c 4s packs they will be fine for racing. You will want a charger than can do at least 1C, maybe 2C for your batteries.

#1 good tires. Find out what the local fast guys run and buy that.
#2 fast servo. Get something that is around 0.10s, and 13k-15kg torque. You don't need 20k torque for the buggy.
#3 decent radio. Something with some programing features, EPA adjustments, throttle curves / expo, model memory. Use the Model memory to set a "racing" profile, and dial the throttle back to 60% for your first track outing.
#3 shock setup - Go talk to the Mugen guys at the track, and see if they will share their set-up. The Typhon is very similar to the MBX7rE, so setup should share pretty good.
#4 Track time. Get some practice time at the track whenever you can. Wheel time will quickly be the most important upgrade. Learn to drive SMOOTH rather than fast. Work on braking early and running a good line thru the corner, rather than trying to carry speed and end up going wide. Roll the jumps, rather than SEND IT! Slower is faster.

Don't stress too much over motor / ESC / Batteries. As long as your batteries are decent 5000mah, 50c 4s packs they will be fine for racing. You will want a charger than can do at least 1C, maybe 2C for your batteries.
How about for talion v3 lol ?

Same story. Shock setup will be harder, though because the Talion V3 uses such short shocks. A V2 would be better if you really want to race. Or a Kraton even. Just make sure your local track won't mind the extra inch of width the Kraton has due to the wide axles.

Same story. Shock setup will be harder, though because the Talion V3 uses such short shocks. A V2 would be better if you really want to race. Or a Kraton even. Just make sure your local track won't mind the extra inch of width the Kraton has due to the wide axles.
just put my newly purchased blockade on my kraton. The proline seems smaller than the aka and the thread patterns seems better on the aka.

I ran my V1 Talion at the track for awhile. Like Jerry said, tires, radio and servo. I didn't really mod my shocks at all on that truck so I can't say there. I didn't realize the V3 has smaller shocks than the V1-2 but you could get away with the stock shocks I'm sure. I saw a guy with a stock V3 Talion a couple weeks ago and it looked pretty good. For tires, I used Impacts inside and depending on the surface Xcons or Posse outside.

Yeah, you can make the stock shocks work. My point was that, as a noob racer, it can be a great help to copy the setup for a similar car, like the Mugens. For the Typhon, Kraton, and V1,V2 Talion, that works, but with the short shocks of the V3, a copied setup won't work as well. If the racer knows how to setup the suspention, though, this will not be a big issue.

What tires/rim assemblies do you guys recommend for running on asphalt?

If your on a budget you might be able to use that new esc to change the servo voltage from the stock 6v to 7.4v that it can support. I use mine stock but its definitely slow compared to my buddies savox. I run different sets of AKA tires and for me this made the biggest difference on the track. Went from spinning out to lightning holeshots. As you stated your tuning the diffs and this definitely needs to be done. Mine were underfilled from the factory and werent set to my liking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back