Typhon Typhon Mega Speedrunner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jupitervix

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I bought a Typhon Mega (my first RC car) about a half year ago. It has been very fun to drive it but now after reading all about your guys speedrunning builds I have to do something similar! So to save some money I’ll try to upgrade my car to a Typhon 3S (without tires and electronics) and from there to a speedrunner, like jondilly and philldogg has done. My plan is to run it on 4S and aim for 80mph!

Here is my part list:
Mamba X
Surpass 3660 4000kv motor
2x CNHL G+ 5000mAh 70C 2S batteries
Ceramic bearings
The old plastic 3S diffs with 13t input gears
High speed center driveshaft support
Adjustable motor mount
500.000sct diff oil front and rear
Turnbuckles
GRP tires s3

The motor shaft is 3,17mm and I can’t find any mod 1 gears with that size so I’m thinking of using a reducer sleeve on my motor shaft so I could have the stronger mod 1. To reach 80mph I would need a gear ratio of 2.5 : 1, but the biggest mod 1 pinion I could find was 30T so if I use that as a spool then I have to use a 23T as pinion, which would make the car way too fast! Can I drill some holes in the motor mount to make it fit, or do you have a better suggestion?

Feel free to criticize my building plan because I’m new to RC and speedruns.

Speedrunning 80mph with plastic diffs and a ~1200W motor with 3.17 shaft with a reducer sleeve on a 1/8 scale sounds a but optimistic in my opinion.
motor and diff won't like that gearing.
Get a good black friday bargain on a 3000kv motor with 5mm shaft and metal diffs...

I bought a Typhon Mega (my first RC car) about a half year ago. It has been very fun to drive it but now after reading all about your guys speedrunning builds I have to do something similar! So to save some money I’ll try to upgrade my car to a Typhon 3S (without tires and electronics) and from there to a speedrunner, like jondilly and philldogg has done. My plan is to run it on 4S and aim for 80mph!

Here is my part list:
Mamba X
Surpass 3660 4000kv motor
2x CNHL G+ 5000mAh 70C 2S batteries
Ceramic bearings
The old plastic 3S diffs with 13t input gears
High speed center driveshaft support
Adjustable motor mount
500.000sct diff oil front and rear
Turnbuckles
GRP tires s3

The motor shaft is 3,17mm and I can’t find any mod 1 gears with that size so I’m thinking of using a reducer sleeve on my motor shaft so I could have the stronger mod 1. To reach 80mph I would need a gear ratio of 2.5 : 1, but the biggest mod 1 pinion I could find was 30T so if I use that as a spool then I have to use a 23T as pinion, which would make the car way too fast! Can I drill some holes in the motor mount to make it fit, or do you have a better suggestion?

Feel free to criticize my building plan because I’m new to RC and speedruns.
Wow to be mentioned along with Phil is beyond a compliment to me, almost to the absurd, but thank you.

As far as advice, I would be looking at a 5mm shaft motor for sure. I’m running a TP 4050 in mine. It doesn’t have many passes on it yet, but I’ve hit 130mph so far. My goal next spring is to build on that and get into the 40’s.

Wow to be mentioned along with Phil is beyond a compliment to me, almost to the absurd, but thank you.
Maybe this is the time where you remove "apprentice" from your nametag ;)
With a reaction score of 23,788 you could have come to that conclusion earlier. You are clearly a modest person

Any concerns as to the aerodynamics on the Typhon for those speeds? Shock posts don't seem to be exceptionally aero, along with the open wheels and maybe the wing.
You can get above 100mph with the open wheel design but it will be much easier with a GT body. Problem is with the 3S line is the towers are too tall to get them under a GT body. I ended up chopping them off and 3D printing my own towers, as well as side skirts.

6B10CF95-F1C4-4B21-9DB7-DC18FC36256A.jpeg

Thank you a lot for your fast response! It’s so nice to be a part of the ARRMA family!
Would a Hobbywing EzRun 3660 4000kv with 5mm shaft be better? Or should I get a 4268 2600kv instead?

Looking at hobbywings own specs:
3660 is a 1/10 scale multi-purpose (<3kg)
4268 is a 1/8 scale on-road (~3kg)

Hobbywing doesn't mention Watts, but 40/42xx definitely has more power than a 36xx can. And for speed you want power. Considering your goal of 80mph, you will want the bigger can. I have a 4268 on my serpent GT and it does 85mph max. I am not a typhon expert, but if you ever want to go faster you probably want a longer can like a 4082/4090. (difference between 40 and 42 is just some cooling fins, so 42 is a 40 can) I don't know what fits without chassis changes.... But keep in mind what your esc can deal with.

More important, don't stare blindly on high kv numbers, it's just gearing you cant change...

Ok, thanks.
The TP 4050 is 82 mm long and was strong enough to hit 130 on 6S, so for me who just want 80’s on 4S I think it would be enough with a 74, right?

78mph 6s then kept leaving the ground..26t&57t.blx185 and 4068-2650kv.it all depends on gearing. 62 mph on 4s.all on 0.8 mod gearing.i guess you going mod1 gearing.on 4s id go for high discharge packs an high kv.

20200920_101213.jpg

20200920_100936.jpg

I can’t find any TP motors in my country, and if I buy it from another country the prices will be like almost twice as high compared to a Hobbywing 4074!

I don't know how it's in Sweden, but unlike the USA, here in the Netherlands Amazon is not really the place to go to, they only build datacenters.

http://www.tppowereurope.com/ certainly deliver in sweden too. And yes they are expensive.
Cheap motors, including hobbywing it's all aliexpress for me. Nowadays china shipping to Europe goes by train and is pretty fast 2-3w. 23E including shipping for surpass 4068 is a real bargain

Yeah, but I don’t know if I dare to trust Aliexpress. I bought a servo from Banggood two months ago and it hasn’t even got shipped yet!

Last edited:
I am customer at both banggood and aliexpress. They are really different. Banggood is only so so, whiles Aliexpress is very strict in everything.
That's because Banggood is a single company, whiles AliExpress is a huge trading netwerk. Resellers fear Aliexpress bosses, make a complaint and the customer is always right. In practice it works better than the European customer protection laws.

Here is what i ordered nov 3 and it's shipping log.

1606566705389.png

1606566298353.png

I don't know how it's in Sweden, but unlike the USA, here in the Netherlands Amazon is not really the place to go to, they only build datacenters.

http://www.tppowereurope.com/ certainly deliver in sweden too. And yes they are expensive.
Cheap motors, including hobbywing it's all aliexpress for me. Nowadays china shipping to Europe goes by train and is pretty fast 2-3w. 23E including shipping for surpass 4068 is a real bargain
I am customer at both banggood and aliexpress. They are really different. Banggood is only so so, whiles Aliexpress is very strict in everything.
That's because Banggood is a single company, whiles AliExpress is a huge trading netwerk. Resellers fear Aliexpress bosses, make a complaint and the customer is always right. In practice it works better than the European customer protection laws.

Here is what i ordered nov 3 and it's shipping log.

View attachment 111386
View attachment 111385
Do you think a TPPOWER motor or a Hobbywing/Surpass would be best for me?

If money doesn't matter go crazy and buy 10 TP motors and 10 XLX2 esc's...

If you are a regular person and still want to experiment/learn (for me that's the enjoyment of this hobby) affordably. Start with cheap motors, explore their capabilities. Many things will break/go wrong before you reach your goals, expensive parts will make you too cautious imho. Failing and mistakes are part of the process.

I'll just quote my first response:
Get a good black friday bargain on a 3000kv motor with 5mm shaft and metal diffs...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back