Typhon Typhon Motor Position

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamhu

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi guys,
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 6S Typhon for some general maintenance and replacing any broken parts. Once I had the motor out, I started to question what the best way to mount the motor was. Would flipping the motor around offer any improvement in the handling of the car? Obviously, it would require modifications to the chassis, servo mount, receiver, etc.. But would it be worth it?

IMG_4693.jpeg
IMG_4692.jpeg

Sorry for the bad picture quality

That won't work. The motor mount is just not reversible. The chassis is not setup like the Infr/Lim/Fel where you can do this. With those, the Motor mount needs to be swapped over to the right hand side. The chassis is pre-drilled out for the swap as well. (think V1 Lim)
With the Typhon, the motor is in its best chassis balanced position anyway. Even if you could, the Typhon will be extremely nose heavy. And out the box it already has this tendancy in stock config.
My TLRT Typhon roller balanced out nicely using my Cross Weight Scale. I could never see changing it for anything better. F/R is aprox 48/52% and Crossweight is a perfect 50/50. Can't improve on that.(y) The scale doesn't lie.:giggle:

You have to drill the chassis, but you can flip the mount and basically not have to change anything else. Transfers weight to the front, good for GT builds or speed runs?
EDIT: I just looked again at your picture, don’t flip it to the front on the same side, just flip the mount so the motor is on the left side facing the front. Then you don’t move the servo or the electronics.

Last edited:
You have to drill the chassis, but you can flip the mount and basically not have to change anything else. Transfers weight to the front, good for GT builds or speed runs?
EDIT: I just looked again at your picture, don’t flip it to the front on the same side, just flip the mount so the motor is on the left side facing the front. Then you don’t move the servo or the electronics.
Thanks. I don’t plan on doing a GT or speed run build

Thanks. I don’t plan on doing a GT or speed run build
In that case I would definitely take @SrC ’s advice and leave the standard position. For best handling, it’s pretty good right out of the box. For speed running it’s beneficial to have a forward weight bias, that’s why many flip the mount because it positions the motor much farther forward.

+1
If setting the Typhon up as a speed runner, you will get great results in stock config. With a GT body, it is not hard to reach 130mph. With just some aero/wing and shock tuning.
If just bashing. Jumping etc. Leave as stock also. It is already balanced well. I feel the Tyhon has the best balanced out chassis of all the 6s rigs out the box. Unless you slam it with crazy 8s ESC's and motors. Typhon being a buggy, is truly best balanced running 4s lipo's and ESC's, running lighter lipo packs. FWIW. You can get some great speeds with 4s. Don't underestimate this. It is not always about the volts. Gearing matters much more . And so does keeping the weight down, by not slamming it with too much alloy. CF towers is a plus for instance. And just keep much of the pastic parts. They serve quite well. If you run a TLRT light chassis with just the plastic F/R braces, that is also a good weight savings right there. All depends how you want to drive your Typhon. Rememembr that the Typhon does not run a T2T brace like the rest of the Arrma 6s rigs, because of the low tight fitting body. Govern yourself accordingly.

Last edited:
Those are some impressive speeds! I would love to eventually set the car up with a GT body and do some speed runs; however, for now, I will stick with running GRP's for some 'street bashing.' Interesting about the 4S battery, I currently run 6S but may have to start looking into some 4s packs so i can try something new (They would also be good for a new boat), as you mentioned, gearing up accordingly.
Carbon fiber towers would be a great addition to my build. I even considered a CF chassis but never fully decided if it would be worth it.

Dan B., thank you for the information about why one may decide to move the motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back