Typhon motor recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erstadw

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Need some recommendations. I'm looking to replace my motor and esc in my typhon. Esc I'm most likely going with the max6. As for the motor im not sure. What I would like is something that I can be geared to go 100+ mph but yet still be able to gear down for bashing and maybe some track use. So far I have been looking at the hobbystar 4092 1730kv. Not sure if it's high enough kv to surpass 100 mph. And I have been also looking at the tp power motors. Hear a lot of good things about them as well. Something like the tp4060 1950kv maybe. Any suggestions appreciated.

That hobbystar 4092 will be more than adequate for 100mph on 1730kv.

All you really need is a 4068 can to get to 100. Back in the day we would run mamba monsters and neu castle 1515’s (genuine, not the eBay Chinese trash that exists today) on 6s they were good till 130mph. I got 121 out of a slash using that setup.

Believe it or not I got a fantastic deal on my Mamba Monster and 2200kv combo, $330!!! That was so cheap for the time! It’s amazing how much cheaper brushless stuff has gotten.

Anyway, yeah that hobbystar 4092, good. Max6 is good if you plan on running 8s but if not it’s really a waste, many more esc’s out there that will get the job more than done and for cheaper. HOWEVER I kind of want to see that thing with a Max6!

TP Power make some of the finest motors on the market. If you want to spend that much than yes it’ll be a lot better.

Thank you peeeenuuutt. If the 1730kv will get the job done I think I will be getting one once rcjuice gets them back in stock. The TP Power is about 45 dollars more and would need to be drilled and tapped to m4 mount holes if they wouldn't do it for me. Not really intrested in doing that myself.

That hobbystar 4092 will be more than adequate for 100mph on 1730kv.

All you really need is a 4068 can to get to 100. Back in the day we would run mamba monsters and neu castle 1515’s (genuine, not the eBay Chinese trash that exists today) on 6s they were good till 130mph. I got 121 out of a slash using that setup.

Believe it or not I got a fantastic deal on my Mamba Monster and 2200kv combo, $330!!! That was so cheap for the time! It’s amazing how much cheaper brushless stuff has gotten.

Anyway, yeah that hobbystar 4092, good. Max6 is good if you plan on running 8s but if not it’s really a waste, many more esc’s out there that will get the job more than done and for cheaper. HOWEVER I kind of want to see that thing with a Max6!

TP Power make some of the finest motors on the market. If you want to spend that much than yes it’ll be a lot better.
Looking to make my 3s Typhon a little faster and i WAS wondering whats your opinion on this kit combo for my typhon? I already have a 20t pinion in her and installed a new Savox SW-0230MG Waterproof HV Digital Servo and she flys like a rocket but she runs a bit warm after about 15 minutes.So i WAS wondering if this motor and esc combo would make my Typhon faster and would i BE ABLE to run it on 4s with out any issues or overheating?What are your thought or opinions on the best recommendation on a motor and ESC to make my Typhon faster? I am not looking to break any world records but I would like to reach speeds of at least 60-70mph if possible. wHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS on this combo - the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 SCT Sensorless Brushless ESC/3660SL Motor Combo (4000kV)??

1588248991507.png

The real limiting factor on going fast is the ESC. My Typhon 6 went 95 mph with the BLX esc and motor. Changing that ESC out to a Castle MM2 or MMX8s with no other changes will push way into the 100s.

In my case so far I have taken the BLX2050kv motor to 131mph.

Choosing a motor for dual purposes is a bit of a compromise. If all you wanted was 6s speed then I'd say go for something around 2700kv, but if it will serve as a basher then anything over 2000kv can run hot. You can certainly go fast on a lower kv motor it just requires more gearing to do so. I think your motor KV selection is spot on, but for top speed Castle ESCs are better. With that said I love HW escs for general bashing and their amp limiting helps them run forever without heat issues.

From what I have seen the MMX8s seems to bridge that issue as best of both worlds. (if you can find one)

The real limiting factor on going fast is the ESC. My Typhon 6 went 95 mph with the BLX esc and motor. Changing that ESC out to a Castle MM2 or MMX8s with no other changes will push way into the 100s.

In my case so far I have taken the BLX2050kv motor to 131mph.

Choosing a motor for dual purposes is a bit of a compromise. If all you wanted was 6s speed then I'd say go for something around 2700kv, but if it will serve as a basher then anything over 2000kv can run hot. You can certainly go fast on a lower kv motor it just requires more gearing to do so. I think your motor KV selection is spot on, but for top speed Castle ESCs are better. With that said I love HW escs for general bashing and their amp limiting helps them run forever without heat issues.

From what I have seen the MMX8s seems to bridge that issue as best of both worlds. (if you can find one)
What about something like this mate?
Castle Creations Sidewinder SW4 Waterproof 1/10 ESC/Motor Combo w/1406 (4600kV)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...or-combo-w-1406-4600kv-cse010-0164-01/p731264

Looking to make my 3s Typhon a little faster and i WAS wondering whats your opinion on this kit combo for my typhon? I already have a 20t pinion in her and installed a new Savox SW-0230MG Waterproof HV Digital Servo and she flys like a rocket but she runs a bit warm after about 15 minutes.So i WAS wondering if this motor and esc combo would make my Typhon faster and would i BE ABLE to run it on 4s with out any issues or overheating?What are your thought or opinions on the best recommendation on a motor and ESC to make my Typhon faster? I am not looking to break any world records but I would like to reach speeds of at least 60-70mph if possible. wHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS on this combo - the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 SCT Sensorless Brushless ESC/3660SL Motor Combo (4000kV)??

View attachment 77686
@LibertyMKiii beat me to it, he knows his stuff!! Very good source to talk to if you’re joining the speedrun community.

Totally forgot to measure so I just ran down and did it.

it would fit but barely and you’d have to turn the motor so that the three wires are placed at the top so they don’t hit the rear arm.

View attachment 80972
Is the actual motor only 92mm tho?

Looking to get my Typhon 3s Blx to around the 80 to 85 mph range currently running all stock motor esc and spur gear with a 22t pinion i get around the 60 to 65 range right now any recomendations on a motor esc combo or setup while staying at 3s or gearing recomendations? don't really bash all that much with it i travel for work

Tp4050 2100kv is a 119$ animal than can run on 8s...ran mine with max6 an they work great together.got yt videos of it in action
Thank you ill look more into this set up
Thank you ill look more into this set up
Tp4050 2100kv is a 119$ animal than can run on 8s...ran mine with max6 an they work great together.got yt videos of it in action
What about the

Castle Creations Monster X 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1515 Sensored Motor (2200Kv)?​

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back