Typhon Typhon motor temp question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottSundstrom

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just got my first RC car and its a v5 typhon 6s. I'm currently running it on a 6s setup and I noticed the motor was getting very hot to the touch. So today I shot it with a temp gun after one 3300 battery and it read 190 degrees. Is this too hot or should I just continue to drive it? I didn't think I was being all that hard on the car. Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

Def too hot. You want to keep the motor below 180 max. My Noto6s runs around 140-160. I'm still a newbie of sorts so not sure what would be causing it to heat up if you are running it out the box with no upgrades.

Was it hot outside when you ran it (that makes a big difference too-ambient temp)?

I'm positive one of the experts here can assist. (y) ✌️

it was about 95 degrees outside. I just ran it again and it hit 200 on the motor and 130 on the esc. All stock. I guess I need to find a heat sink and fan setup for it. Thanks for all the tips guys.
Be careful man. 180F is the magic number. Anything over that may cause permanent damage to the magnets. I try to keep my motors under 150F.

it was about 95 degrees outside. I just ran it again and it hit 200 on the motor and 130 on the esc. All stock. I guess I need to find a heat sink and fan setup for it. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Hello and welcome.

Not a lot of room under the Typhon body so here are some suggestions:

Powerhobby 30mm or 40mm fan mount
https://www.powerhobby.com/phmount02.html

Powerhobby 40mm fan
https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-phf4040silver.html

Works good on the stock 2050kv motor. I have TLR running I am only doing 4S and motor temp is at max 150F. Cannot say for 6S so watch the temp but the large 40mm fan still is a great add

1656221315183.png

Update: I was looking through my Typhon and I found that the motor gear and spur gear mesh was super tight. No play in it. I gave it a little wiggle room and now my motor temp dropped to 150 degrees when I'm running it. Go figure...

Be careful man. 180F is the magic number. Anything over that may cause permanent damage to the magnets. I try to keep my motors under 150F.

with a 20/50 CD on 6S ive been reading temps at the rear bearing, mostly because its easily hit by the gun with the body on.
After 10 or so rips across the field Im seeing 140-150... But a few times I checked the motor can and was seeing 170+ but the front and rear are less. I also noticed the Spur/pinion gear themselves hit 120-130! But cool down quickly.
ESC isn't going over 125'ish.
Still no fan on the motor. Slow boat from Asia.

So what exactly burns or fails in the can at high temps? Do the windings melt?

with a 20/50 CD on 6S ive been reading temps at the rear bearing, mostly because its easily hit by the gun with the body on.
After 10 or so rips across the field Im seeing 140-150... But a few times I checked the motor can and was seeing 170+ but the front and rear are less. I also noticed the Spur/pinion gear themselves hit 120-130! But cool down quickly.
ESC isn't going over 125'ish.
Still no fan on the motor. Slow boat from Asia.

So what exactly burns or fails in the can at high temps? Do the windings melt?
Curious, what Ambient temperatures are you running in?

Thank you

I know this is an old thread, but for any newbies reading it, fans on your motor and ESC are not optional. Especially brushless. Like has been said, 180deg is max. And ideally you should try not to exceed 150-160 to be safe.

I know this is an old thread, but for any newbies reading it, fans on your motor and ESC are not optional. Especially brushless. Like has been said, 180deg is max. And ideally you should try not to exceed 150-160 to be safe.
I prefer running without fans when possible. Most of my cars have no motor fan.

But yes, it is important to monitor and gear appropriately.

Yeah, especially when you run large gears and tires. Even when it's cold out, they get very hot!

I don't even bother running large times on the 3S anymore. Tried the Talon tires recently as as with all of them it greatly overheats the motor and ESC. But it's geared to do between 75-85mph with horns or stock buggy sized tires.

The big oversized 6S's with the biggest tires I can get on them do much the same. They need bigger, better motors!

Hello,
I just got my first RC car and its a v5 typhon 6s. I'm currently running it on a 6s setup and I noticed the motor was getting very hot to the touch. So today I shot it with a temp gun after one 3300 battery and it read 190 degrees. Is this too hot or should I just continue to drive it? I didn't think I was being all that hard on the car. Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott
Way too hot. The Typhons body design does not allow almost any airflow so if possible I tend to stuff at least a heatsink in there. If also possible get a motor fan on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back