Typhon Typhon on the way!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Just bought a Typhon V3 from a member here. I have never owned a buggy before. I currently own a Kraton V3 (my favorite so far), a Granite Mega 4x4 with an 1/8 scale motor, and a Senton Mega 4x4 with a Castle 1410-3800Kv combo. The deal on the Typhon was just too good to pass up. I am really excited to add this to my collection. I am not sure how much I will run it in the beginning because I don't want to go nuts with the upgrades, I plan on doing the servo (a must), bearings and the servo mount. Hopefully that is enough for now. I dumper over $500 into my Kraton so I need to be conservative for a bit, lol.

Wheel hub extenders, and a set of Badlands. It's beastly on all terrain, and in the air.

Forgot to mention, the 2.8 Trenchers, or badlands. Not the 3.8 like for the Kraton.

3.8s on a Typhon would look so silly lol.
I had the Kraton wheels off and the Typhon wheels off at the same time a while ago so I had to try it. Lol the tires rubbed without any ballooning.
2017-01-05 204159-2231701.JPG
2017-01-05 204335-1955205.JPG

Are the wheel hub extenders so you can run different tires from stock or so you run them with the stock tires as well?

Are the wheel hub extenders so you can run different tires from stock or so you run them with the stock tires as well?

I use them so I can run wider tires than stock that have a much better footprint, and make the Typhon WAY more stable.

Fleet building! Woot! fun... :)

My V1 Typhon is mostly stock, I only swapped all the electrics. :)

But I have (a few times) told myself to wide mod it. Even bought a full set of outcast arms/hubs and stuff. But I still like running it stock.

I have also tried running Truggy tires. They fit, and don't rub, but it gives the car a bit of a 'clown car' look. Also, the diffs are geared too high for 3.8 tires, so the motor runs hot. If you want bigger tires than buggy tires, get the 2.8 on the Proline F11/17mm rims.

But - Buggy tires are already a bit bigger than your SCT tires. If you just get some standard buggy Badlands or Lockups or similar, it will tear up a grass lot. No as good as the Kraton, but then, what is? LOL

If you have a offroad track, take the Typhon there. This car was made for the track (literally), and it just SINGS around a rough fast track.

Have fun!

Fleet building! Woot! fun... :)

My V1 Typhon is mostly stock, I only swapped all the electrics. :)

But I have (a few times) told myself to wide mod it. Even bought a full set of outcast arms/hubs and stuff. But I still like running it stock.

I have also tried running Truggy tires. They fit, and don't rub, but it gives the car a bit of a 'clown car' look. Also, the diffs are geared too high for 3.8 tires, so the motor runs hot. If you want bigger tires than buggy tires, get the 2.8 on the Proline F11/17mm rims.

But - Buggy tires are already a bit bigger than your SCT tires. If you just get some standard buggy Badlands or Lockups or similar, it will tear up a grass lot. No as good as the Kraton, but then, what is? LOL

If you have a offroad track, take the Typhon there. This car was made for the track (literally), and it just SINGS around a rough fast track.

Have fun!

This is my first buggy of any kind. I think I want to get the buggy experience before I do anything that changes the buggy characteristics. Sadly I do not have an RC track near me. I bet it is a blast on a track. I fooled around a little with it last night when I got done with the bearing and servo. It is super nimble. And fast!

This brings me to my next question. If I don't have a track, what type of bashing is best for it? I am wary of bringing it to the BMX track because it doesn't have roll tower like the Kraton. I do land upside down on occasion and I am afraid of really crushing it. The lack of a bumper concerns me. The lack of skid plates concern me. I look at the Typhon and I see something that should be used on a dirt track or pavement. Can I drive it on rocky terrain? Can I drive it in the woods. Can I go big air and risk a bad landing? I read where you said it was Arrma's most solid vehicle but the lack of protection scares me!

As far as tires, what style of tires are on it? They aren't buggy tires? How would 2.8 Trenchers do? I run them on my Granite and Kraton and really like them. Like this: https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...Nx6T4oSPinsy71U4h62O6ay0LqJPzclBoCytoQAvD_BwE

It comes with track-style 1/8 buggy tires. The tread is slimilar to what would work on a track, but the hard rubber makes them not stick real great. For bashing / grass / gravel, the small pins will not grab well either. So something with a softer rubber and bigger lugs makes a GREAT upgrade. If you know you will be on pavement a lot, something like a Bandito would work, so long as you don't plan on true speed runs. IF you want to go faster than 60 or so, plan on getting some belted 1/8 road racing tires.

The 2.8 MT tires will be about the same height, but wider - which gives it a bit more float over rough ground. Also, the 2.8MT tires are heavier, so they give better in-air control. With buggy tires, you can only do minor correction in the air, backflips and stuff are pretty much right out. The folks that do big air with the Typhon pretty much all run 2.8 tires. If you already have the trenchers, then you probably know what to expect better than me. :)

With the lower ground clearance, rocky ground may not be friendly to it. Driving in the Woods - that can mean so many different things...

The Typhon is different, and won't be better at some stuff (compared to the Kraton). But it has it's own flavor.

It comes with track-style 1/8 buggy tires. The tread is slimilar to what would work on a track, but the hard rubber makes them not stick real great. For bashing / grass / gravel, the small pins will not grab well either. So something with a softer rubber and bigger lugs makes a GREAT upgrade. If you know you will be on pavement a lot, something like a Bandito would work, so long as you don't plan on true speed runs. IF you want to go faster than 60 or so, plan on getting some belted 1/8 road racing tires.

The 2.8 MT tires will be about the same height, but wider - which gives it a bit more float over rough ground. Also, the 2.8MT tires are heavier, so they give better in-air control. With buggy tires, you can only do minor correction in the air, backflips and stuff are pretty much right out. The folks that do big air with the Typhon pretty much all run 2.8 tires. If you already have the trenchers, then you probably know what to expect better than me. :)

With the lower ground clearance, rocky ground may not be friendly to it. Driving in the Woods - that can mean so many different things...

The Typhon is different, and won't be better at some stuff (compared to the Kraton). But it has it's own flavor.

Too late Jerry! I took it to the BMX track and it broke! See?!
2303CE2B-E9FB-4BF6-A5FB-B4ED1614AB05.jpeg

That’s right. The front body post came off, lol.

Seriously you are spot on regarding the tires. Traction, especially on 6s was an issue. But it jumped great. So much better than expected. You are right about control in the air with the stock tires. You have to be very conscious of your take off and then you get one chance to correct. It’s not like the Kraton where you can correct a bad correction, lol.
I was sending it pretty good and found it to be a good flyer. I had a few bad landings but none upside down because it’s hard to rotate that far on the small tires.

All in all I had a lot of fun with the buggy. Now I am off to fix that body post!
34369DE6-18D9-4322-8D5B-23EA0A563BA8.jpeg

49912D72-FB24-4114-BF01-B418C4F12887.jpeg

For tires for the Typhon a good go to is the 1/8 buggy Duratrax Lockups. They are only like $20 a pair, every now and then Tower has them on sale for $15 a pair.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back