Typhon Typhon or other Buggy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their USA distributor is a little iffy. But the company sells everything direct from Taiwan on eBay. At least that's how I got the 8e. I hope they're not dead in RC, but they haven't came out with anything new in ages.
The dumb thing is that they are the Parent company of Team Associated you can find those everywhere.

So what your saying is get this one is a decent priced roller... I think we're talking rtr here. That's a good buggy if your looking to build. Typhon still beats it hands down for out of the box performance and price.

What happened to Thunder Tiger? Are they sticking all of their R&D into the robots?

Hoboa makes some pretty good buggies. Cant beat $245.95 for a Hyper VSe 80% roller, just need radio, servo, esc and motor. Radio $30, servo $12, BLX185 motor and esc $120. Werner Sline on rctech has one and beats the living snot out of it. https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1006374-hobao-hyper-vs-e-buggy.html

Yes, I wish Arrma had that option. Roller, no electrics, clear body, unglued tires. Back when Tower also sold the Habao buggy as a full RTR, it was within $20-$30 of the Typhon price. Typhon has more / better aluminum, better motor ESC, though.

The dumb thing is that they are the Parent company of Team Associated you can find those everywhere.
I have the Team Associated Rival MT & there is definitely some Thunder Tiger in it. It has Thunder Tiger wheels and tires, same as on the MT4, ACE RC (Thunder Tiger) electrics, now branded as Associated XP. It's got some Team Associated MGT & Thunder Tiger MT4G3 in it, and it's larger than Arrma 1/8 scale. After upgrading to RPM arms and aluminum shock caps, it's been very durable. The wheels/tires are quite light, with a good stiff sidewall & just enough slide to them that the truck will usually break loose before your MT traction rolls, with proven 6S performance. I may have to try these tires on my Kraton?

Yes, I wish Arrma had that option. Roller, no electrics, clear body, unglued tires. Back when Tower also sold the Habao buggy as a full RTR, it was within $20-$30 of the Typhon price. Typhon has more / better aluminum, better motor ESC, though.
You can find the rrolers on eBay

You can find the rrolers on eBay

As for rollers on Ebay, yes, they come up every now and again, but they are not common.

What I would like is a roller from Arrma. With the clear body (I like the typhon body). Unglued tires are nice, so we can buy some unmounted lock-ups or badlands for basher tires, or mount some decent track tires. While some of the Arrma RTR tires are great, the Typhon tires are not... OMHO, having roller options would be a good seller for Arrma / HH. Especially, in another model cycle or two, when HH will start to push Spektrum / Fuse electrics on Arrma.

I have a V2 Kraton and want a 2nd RC.....so I was thinking about a buggy. I do mostly outdoor dirt track running (dirt BMX track) and LOVE massive jumping.

1) Is the buggy a good 2nd for me?
2) What are your thoughts on a Typhon vs branching out to another brand to diversify my collection?

Any and all input would be AWESOME!

Also - Is now a bad time to buy a Typhon?

I own a typhon and couldn’t be happier. I bash it everyday from dirt jumps to sand dunes. I have multiple sets of tires and it’s gets it done. No issues after big jumps or top speed road runs. Has only overheated once, it was due to huge tires on sand at full throttle for about 30 minutes. I let it cool down and went straight back to it. No issues.

Especially, in another model cycle or two, when HH will start to push Spektrum / Fuse electrics on Arrma.
tenor.gif

Why did you have to remind me of this..............now us Arrma guys are going to get stuck with that worthless DX2E..........

Last edited:
I think the motors were basically the same, both are rebranded Hobbywing. Hyper SSe only has a 100a Hobbywing esc the 8BL100 iirc. Not a bad esc but its only 4s capable. The Hyper VSe comes with the Hobbywing 8BL150, which is the unneutered version of the BLX185. You can't go by the tech notes on Tower Hobbies as they are the notes for the SSe.

I kinda sorta want to get the Hyper Cage SSTe in orange. I actually bought the Outcast instead of this, because it was out of stock.
Hyper-Cage-Truggy.jpg

I have the Team Associated Rival MT & there is definitely some Thunder Tiger in it. It has Thunder Tiger wheels and tires, same as on the MT4, ACE RC (Thunder Tiger) electrics, now branded as Associated XP. It's got some Team Associated MGT & Thunder Tiger MT4G3 in it, and it's larger than Arrma 1/8 scale. After upgrading to RPM arms and aluminum shock caps, it's been very durable. The wheels/tires are quite light, with a good stiff sidewall & just enough slide to them that the truck will usually break loose before your MT traction rolls, with proven 6S performance. I may have to try these tires on my Kraton?
I was so sad when I saw they discontinued the Rival.

Last edited:
don't get me wrong, i love my typhon and im not a mental basher but Ive had both rear plastic shock caps pop, rear mount broke (surprised it lasted so long) plastic shock bottom cap popped, stock tyres lasted a bash.
id get the v3 but try to get hold of the aluminium shock caps from the outcast, best bet download the pdf manual and look at the typhons part numbers then match the numbers from the shock bodys to the outcast/kraton and order the alu caps and bottoms.
ive got a v2 shock on the rear now whilst i wait for the caps from the Netherlands, finding parts in stock is currently a joke though as no one has updated the parts list, eg
Modelsport list all the same parts for the v2 as the v3 but they arent the same, hence why i have alu bottom caps that don't fit,

And pro line badlands for off road, the fasttrax ones do not survive 6s and rough ground, trust me!

I think the motors were basically the same, both are rebranded Hobbywing. Hyper SSe only has a 100a Hobbywing esc the 8BL100 iirc. Not a bad esc but its only 4s capable. The Hyper VSe comes with the Hobbywing 8BL150, which is the unneutered version of the BLX185. You can't go by the tech notes on Tower Hobbies as they are the notes for the SSe.

I kinda sorta want to get the Hyper Cage SSTe in orange. I actually bought the Outcast instead of this, because it was out of stock.
Hyper-Cage-Truggy.jpg

I was so sad when I saw they discontinued the Rival.
Not sure why they discontinued the Rival MT? At least parts are still available. When this came out, it put Traxxas to shame (aluminum chassis, all metal drivetrain, etc). For such a big truck, it's been durable & still running strong. Since I run both my V3 Talion/Kraton on 6S, I'm just leaving my Rival MT on 4S, which will hopefully keep it running for years more.

If Arrma made a Monster Truck the size of the Rival (basically, a MT a bit bigger than the Nero, but easier to work on & with closed diffs), I would be all over it. If Arrma stretched out the Kraton or Talion chassis a bit, put on front rear & bumpers with no rear wing, & put Backflips on wider offset wheels, and call it a speed truck or whatever (since it would not have a raised center chassis), I'm still in.

Here's a link, showing the "size" of the Rival MT. Just scroll down till you see the pretty girl holding it, LOL:
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/Rival_Monster_Truck/RTR/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back