Typhon pinion screw defect

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhone6sNL

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hi guys,

so today wanted to try my road setup on my Typhon 6s V4 and try the other pinion. Problem I ran into, screw maddened so I can’t get it out. Have you guys any idea how I can fix this? Is this some sort of garantie since it’s one month old en first try to replace this pinion which has been way to tight from factory to get out.

Attachments

• 6FF58823-C1C2-4D06-83C5-D8F35D2D9AC9.jpeg
    6FF58823-C1C2-4D06-83C5-D8F35D2D9AC9.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 65
I'd try to cut it a bit with a dremel, and then try to heat it up with a soldering iron and screw it out with a flat screwdriver. Worked sometime, where I already trashed the head.

If you have any Torx bits T8 or T9 depending how bad it's rounded a T9 can be tapped in and should get a bite and the shock will help loosen but a little bit of heat will also help if it's got threadlock.

Is it properly rounded off? (hard to tell exactly from the pic)
If not then I'd try applying a lot of heat via a solder iron directly to the grub screw and then with a decent allen key driver pressed securely in I'd try very slowly unscrewing it.

If it is rounded off inside then as @Phamous suggested you could cut a slot into it using a Dremel cutting disc and then (again applying heat) try unscrewing it using a flat head screw driver.

Tapping in a "torx" head bit with a hammer so it's wedged in is another route you could try as @Turbobrick above beat me to mentioning.

Always use heat though on these grubs screws when trying to undo them and tbh any metal to metal screws as thread lock is used which is what causes the problem.

Worst case scenario you'll have to drill out the grub screw completely and then have to use a pinion puller or some leverage to remove the pinion or even worse cut the pinion off completely.

Thanks guys!! Problem is with Arrma tbh. It’s one month old and first time I’m trying to replace this pinion. I’ll think I will contact Horizon hobby straight away and see what they say. I’m kinda new to this so and have no dremel to use and undo the screw. Any of you got experience with warranty with Horizon hobby’s?

Thanks guys!! Problem is with Arrma tbh. It’s one month old and first time I’m trying to replace this pinion. I’ll think I will contact Horizon hobby straight away and see what they say. I’m kinda new to this so and have no dremel to use and undo the screw. Any of you got experience with warranty with Horizon hobby’s?

so its unclear, was the set screw like that or did you strip it?

US support is really great, EU support not so much ?
Arrma has been known for using too much and the wrong thread lock on everything metal on metal, my Outcast had the shock caps held in by red loctite. As mentioned above always use heat when removing anything that is metal into metal.

Best option is probably going to be to drill out the grub screw.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back