Typhon Typhon project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Z15SS

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Nero
  3. Raider
I have some spare parts on the way and some here in a box, and I was thinking about doing a SWB Kraton type build. I dig my Typhon, but I like my Kraton better, so with all the stuff I have I can do this. Just thinking about it right now so if I decide to do it I will post progress in another thread.

Decide not to cannibleize the Typhon, instead do a ground up build. I have a spare chassis on the way so ill be going through the diffs and shimming the input gears, internals and then shimming the mesh between the input and crown gears. I also have a full set of FastEddyBearings that will go in this so when I start, there will be lotsa pictures...

Well, I just shimmed a couple diffs for my project. I did the usual internal diff shims, but then I put shims between the bearings and diff case, (the mystery spacer) so there's one on each side to stop the diff from moving from side to side. Gears will maintain the correct mesh.

Forgot to take pics of the diffs I'm working on so here is one showing the added shim. I also used the sealed bearings here from FastEddyBearings which I have to thank WoodiE for. I won these in one of the raffles.

Here is where I added an extra shim to stop side to side movement of the diff. The other diff is the same. Front has 60K fluid and rear has 10K fluid. Center diff will have 100K when I open it up to shim it.
20170121_070852.jpg

Made some progress today... Building this as a kit since I purchased a lot of this stuff as spare parts, but went ahead and bought a chassis and some other parts off of Ebay. Now hopefully the shimming I did on the diffs will hold up to the punishment of the Nero esc and motor!
Still looking at some bracing options for the chassis...
20170121_114926.jpg

Forgot to take pics of the diffs I'm working on so here is one showing the added shim. I also used the sealed bearings here from FastEddyBearings which I have to thank WoodiE for. I won these in one of the raffles.

Here is where I added an extra shim to stop side to side movement of the diff. The other diff is the same. Front has 60K fluid and rear has 10K fluid. Center diff will have 100K when I open it up to shim it.
View attachment 5646
Just curious, is that Mobile 1 synthetic red grease? Been thinking about using some, works great in 1/1 car, have a tub of it in the garage.

Making my own chassis braces out of 1/4" aluminum stock using a band saw and a dremel... So far the rear one is fitted, the front needs holes drilled and tapped but should work just fine. Will look alot better after I sand and paint them.
148527057232053317641.jpg

Making my own chassis braces out of 1/4" aluminum stock using a band saw and a dremel... So far the rear one is fitted, the front needs holes drilled and tapped but should work just fine. Will look alot better after I sand and paint them.View attachment 5777
For now I'm planning to run tower to tower, similar to Thomas P on his minitalion, but with round stock. Front and rear are slotted with small rubber rear plug. This is a rough fit, will cut Outcast body support to slide brace through.
IMG_20170123_224056869.jpg
IMG_20170123_224154501.jpg

For now I'm planning to run tower to tower, similar to Thomas P on his minitalion, but with round stock. Front and rear are slotted with small rubber rear plug. This is a rough fit, will cut Outcast body support to slide brace through.View attachment 5779 View attachment 5780
I have some carbon fiber rod I'm going to use. They were purchased for the intension of using as pushrods on one of my large scale planes, but never used them. They will be mounted with a screw at each end through the shock towers.
Still debating if I want to cannibalize my Typhon for this. I have an almost complete kit minus the center diff and mounts? That's my Baby and I hate to do it. May just use a Kraton/Talion chassis and be done with it! The picture I posted with the diffs mounted to is just that; a spare chassis for a Kraton I used for a mock up...

Last edited:
Well I removed some parts from my Typhon while I wait for replacements. Center diff, motor mount, front hubs and pivot balls etc.
Basically this build is going to be a Nero powered Kraton. I finished a lot of the chassis and suspension and have plastic bits to mount. Broke my 3m tap in the front chassis brace and didn't feel like making a new one, so I have something else in mind.

Well I removed some parts from my Typhon while I wait for replacements. Center diff, motor mount, front hubs and pivot balls etc.
Basically this build is going to be a Nero powered Kraton. I finished a lot of the chassis and suspension and have plastic bits to mount. Broke my 3m tap in the front chassis brace and didn't feel like making a new one, so I have something else in mind.
My Typhon is so stripped for parts it's ridiculous! Is nice though being able to borrow parts while waiting for more.

My Typhon is so stripped for parts it's ridiculous! Is nice though being able to borrow parts while waiting for more.
Yeah, but it sure wasn't without in incident! Pinion was a b**ch, then putting the 16t pinion on the new motor the grub screw stripped. It's on there tight but when I need to get it off it should be fun!
My suggestion to everyone would be to trash the grub screw that comes with the spare pinion or at least check them, because the one I used was very shallow where you install the hex wrench. Sad thing is, I have some spares and should have used a better one. Live and learn!
Steering rack installed
20170125_115237.jpg
Motor and center diff installed with 100K fluid
20170125_155720.jpg
Hubs, axels, braces, etc. installed. I was going to try to use a double set of springs but removed them.
20170125_174617.jpg
Typhon Donor waiting for new parts. I removed other parts after this picture so it's worse than it looks here...
20170125_155904.jpg

Yeah, but it sure wasn't without in incident! Pinion was a b**ch, then putting the 16t pinion on the new motor the grub screw stripped. It's on there tight but when I need to get it off it should be fun!
My suggestion to everyone would be to trash the grub screw that comes with the spare pinion or at least check them, because the one I used was very shallow where you install the hex wrench. Sad thing is, I have some spares and should have used a better one. Live and learn!
Steering rack installed
View attachment 5880
Motor and center diff installed with 100K fluid
View attachment 5882
Hubs, axels, braces, etc. installed. I was going to try to use a double set of springs but removed them.
View attachment 5883
Typhon Donor waiting for new parts. I removed other parts after this picture so it's worse than it looks here...
View attachment 5884
I keep switching pinions to Robinson Racing Extra Hard as the stock ones crap out. Very impressed with their performance, durability. Novak pinions are great, too but think they went OOB.

Well, after a lot of installing and removing parts over and over again it's finally running and driving, although I haven't taken it out yet. Just making sure all is well! Had to remove the wheelie bar so I could drill holes in the rear shock tower for the carbon fiber shock tower braces. I tried to flex the chassis and it feels pretty darn stiff now! The Kraton cage i'll be using should fit without cutting it and the body should fit right over them. Now trying to decide what body I want to use. I have a VW Baja, but did that already and I don't really want to cut the molded in engine off of it, So I may go with a 68 Camaro Pro-Mod body kinda truggy style. It should fit although it looks a bit short.

Wheels and wing installed to check ride height
Wheels and wing installed.jpg

Side view of the braces
Side view.jpg

Checking the fit of the 68 Pro-Mod Camaro body
Camaro body.jpg

I am still not finished with the Chassis. I want to make some mudflaps for this one like my others, and possibly some extensions of the side guards all the way back to the rear, as long as they don't interfere with the body and suspension. I may also (eventually) do the shock mod, Tekno springs, and a few other things after the maiden flight is done. Dang weather! It's been so wet and rainy here!!! UGH...

Last edited:
This is what I use. Seems to stay put better than regular axle grease.View attachment 5712

FYI, you really don't want to use sticky / tacky grease or axle grease on the gears - it will suck up power. Better to use moly / lithium grease.

Other than that, your build looks great!

FYI, you really don't want to use sticky / tacky grease or axle grease on the gears - it will suck up power. Better to use moly / lithium grease.

Other than that, your build looks great!
Thanks, I might have some white lithium spray. If I notice anything weird I'll give it a try.

Kraton roll cage will fit with no cutting. Have another one on the way with the bottom mount.

Kraton roll cage.jpg

Tower to Tower carbon fiber bracing.
Carbon tubing1.jpg
Nylon insert
Carbon tubing 2.jpg
Front view mounting
Existing hole for shock.jpg

Front mounted view.jpg
I put shrink tubing on the front for id purposes

Rear hole drilled.jpg

Attachments

• Carbon tubing1.jpg
    Carbon tubing1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Carbon tubing 2.jpg
    Carbon tubing 2.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Existing hole for shock.jpg
    Existing hole for shock.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Front mounted view.jpg
    Front mounted view.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Rear hole drilled.jpg
    Rear hole drilled.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 57
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back