Typhon Typhon questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skaxis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
I'm considering buying an Arrma Typhon for racing this summer. 1/10th scale races don't often make at my track. Most people seem to run 4WD SCT, and 1/8th scale eBuggy or nBuggy. I really like my Fury and with just a few upgrades it makes for a passable racing 2WD SCT. Considering how similar the Typhon is to the (much) more expensive DEX8 I was wondering a few things.

Can you get replacement body shells? Do they come clear or only pre-painted? Can you get them from other than Arrma?

What about rims/tires? The Fury was a pain and a long wait for Arrma to bring "standard" SCT rims to market. I don't want to have the same issue with a Typhon. Can you use standard 1/8th scale buggy tires on the stock rims? Can you get rims from other than Arrma?

Batteries. I have a Duratrax Onyx 245 charger. If I run dual 2S LiPos will I be at a disadvantage over someone running a 4S? My brains says 2 X 2S = 4S but what do I know?

Anything else I should be aware of? I have about 3 months to make this decision so I'm not in a huge hurry.

You can get replacement body clear or painted. Y9u can run 9ff the shelf buggy wheels and tires. and the 2+2 =4 is right it will run the same as one 4s batt. Have fun racing it. I just got my new typhon in.

I read that other than stock wheels, only the Pro-Line F-11 2.8" wheels with 17mm hubs will fit. So is that incorrect? For example, will these AKA 1:8 buggy EVO wheels fit? How about these Pro-Line Split 6 V2 wheels? If I'm perfectly content with the looks and durability of the stock wheels, you're saying that I can use any tires and foams designed for 1:8 buggies? So like anything by Pro-Line, AKA, or J-Concepts among others will work?

Sorry to belabor the point but I'm a bit gun shy thanks to the goofy tire/wheel design choice Arrma made with the Fury. It took almost a year for them to put a standard rim I could use "normal" SCT tires on. I guess I just expect the same sort of funkiness with the other models in their lineup.

I read that other than stock wheels, only the Pro-Line F-11 2.8" wheels with 17mm hubs will fit. So is that incorrect? For example, will these AKA 1:8 buggy EVO wheels fit? How about these Pro-Line Split 6 V2 wheels? If I'm perfectly content with the looks and durability of the stock wheels, you're saying that I can use any tires and foams designed for 1:8 buggies? So like anything by Pro-Line, AKA, or J-Concepts among others will work?

Sorry to belabor the point but I'm a bit gun shy thanks to the goofy tire/wheel design choice Arrma made with the Fury. It took almost a year for them to put a standard rim I could use "normal" SCT tires on. I guess I just expect the same sort of funkiness with the other models in their lineup.
You can run almost any standard 4x4 1/8 buggy wheels with 17mm hub. I have seen people put the split6 wheels on the typhon no problem.

Just got me a Typhon roller. Are the diffs already filled with oil? What would be a good weight to run for bashing.

Just got me a Typhon roller. Are the diffs already filled with oil? What would be a good weight to run for bashing.
Hey bud

I believe that the diffs in the Typhon have 10k cst. Oil. A good base line 3 diff setup is 50k in the center diff and 100k front and rear

I want to get a set of pro line badlands and a new set of wheels for my Typhon 6s but I do not what size I'm going to need.

I

Batteries. I have a Duratrax Onyx 245 charger. If I run dual 2S LiPos will I be at a disadvantage over someone running a 4S? My brains says 2 X 2S = 4S but what do I know?

Anything else I should be aware of? I have about 3 months to make this decision so I'm not in a huge hurry.

A few thoughts -

1 - That charger (per your link) will not charge 4s packs, so 2x2s is your only option unless you spring for a new charger.

2 - Running 2 X 2s packs in series is fine, so long as the packs are 'matched' i.e. they are the same brand, same model, same mah, same C, SAME AGE. Best is if you buy the pack together, and always run them as a pair. Running one or the other every now and again as a single is OK, but don't over work one pack - you need them to stay equal. Myself, I have 2 of the Turnigy Nano-tech 5600mah 50c-100c packs, with inboard connections. For series running, I like the inboard packs - you don't need a Y lead on the ESC - you just solder up a jumper from one packs + to the other packs -, then run the ESC lead to the other + -. I like these Nano-techs, they have good punch and run time. Another good budget option would be SMC-Racing. Very good budget packs, a lot of local racers in my area run them.

To your Anything Else? Get the Sooner rather than later. Get to the track and run! One afternoon at the track beats a year of keyboard jockeying. :) The more running you can get before your first race, the better. Plan on buying new tires to suit the track. and most of all, remember, "Slower is Faster"! :p

Jerry

The track I planned on running this at appears to be on the way out. They've only had 2 races since my original post so I've held off transitioning from 10th 2WD stock buggy class to 8th eBuggy. I'm hoping they'll get their act together and start posting some regular, bi-monthly races. Until they do I can't justify switching classes.

I have the shock spring adjustment nut set all the way down in order to get any shock response . Are my springs shot? I just got it back from Arrma service and they left it that way.

I have the shock spring adjustment nut set all the way down in order to get any shock response . Are my springs shot? I just got it back from Arrma service and they left it that way.

I don't believe they are 'shot' - the factory springs are (IMO) very soft, I swapped mine out with ones I like better. If you like your ride with the preload nuts screwed down then most likely you'll prefer stiffer springs to begin with...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back