Typhon Typhon Racing setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamminHyaku

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Im sure this has been asked many times before, but im getting into racing at the local track and wanting to setup my arrma Typhon more for racing. For bashing ive just been running everything stock, never really had any reason to change anything.
What parts upgrades are recommended for improving race performance? What shock oil, differential oil, and all that is recommended? Appreciate the help!

Or, do you think id just be better off selling it and getting a losi 8ight? I find the typhon handles well on the track, though is definitely on the heavier side and im not sure its possible to make it any lighter. Having a lot of trouble deciding if I should keep it or change!

If you want to race and bash the same buggy, I say keep the Typhon. I ran my Typhon today (with upgraded servo and J Concepts tires, otherwise stock) on my local 1/8 indoor off-road track and it did well.

I also ran my Tekno EB48.3 right after, literally same set of tires, and it’s no contest. The Typhon is heavy. I don’t have a single clue how to “setup” a race rig, aside from tires, so don’t take my word for gospel. Half the people at my track could setup a Typhon and smoke me in the fastest buggy in the world.

If you want to get serious about racing, I’d get a serious race buggy that your local track supports. Having buddies with the same car to share setups in invaluable.

It's the driver not the car, I've seen guys win 1/10 indoor carpet races with a Traxxas Bandit.

I am going to base these adjustments off of a Team Durango DEX8, the Typhon is based on this so setup should be fairly similar, with some adjustments to shocks to account for the weight difference.
For diffs start with 5000 cst in front 7000 cst in center and 2000sct in the rear.
Shocks you might need to get softer springs depending on your track condition. 650cst in the front and 600cst in the rear. Use stock mounting locations for the shocks. Adjust the shocks as pictured below.
Tires I would just run whatever tires other drivers run.
You will want a better servo as well, something with 350oz/in of torque and a 60* speed of <0.11 seconds @6.0v.
You will most likely have to make your own adjustments to best suit your driving style and conditions.

143wq56tf.jpg

Last edited:
It's the driver not the car, I've seen guys win 1/10 indoor carpet races with a Traxxas Bandit.

I am going to base these adjustments off of a Team Durango DEX8, the Typhon is based on this so setup should be fairly similar, with some adjustments to shocks to account for the weight difference.
For diffs start with 5000 cst in front 7000 cst in center and 2000sct in the rear.
Shocks you might need to get softer springs depending on your track condition. 650cst in the front and 600cst in the rear. Use stock mounting locations for the shocks. Adjust the shocks as pictured below.
Tires I would just run whatever tires other drivers run.
You will want a better servo as well, something with 350oz/in of torque and a 60* speed of <0.11 seconds @6.0v.
You will most likely have to make your own adjustments to best suit your driving style and conditions.

View attachment 36348
I know this is 'old' thread, but I take it 3s has hope? I understand arrma is much heavier (overly robust for track), but it's much closer to my budget (Racing cost much $$), but thanks for the information!

I know this is 'old' thread, but I take it 3s has hope? I understand arrma is much heavier (overly robust for track), but it's much closer to my budget (Racing cost much $$), but thanks for the information!
Maybe in an open class race.

Keep in mind, one of the few things you can't scale down is the size of the dirt and the air flowing around the car. There are many occasions where heavier with a slightly higher gear ration will get you where you want to be.

I picked up a 6sv3 to run on a dirt race track that's local, when I took it up today I was running for us and noticed anytime I had a big jump if I wasn't completely off the throttle it would start to nose dive whereas my 3s Typhon would do a backflip.

I'm guessing the front tires are spinning much faster than the rears? To cause this effect.
Should I just replace all three differentials lube? Or just the front or rear?

I also noticed it seemed to be a lot sloppier in the turns over my 3s, so not sure if I need to mess with the shock oil as well or if that's still just a differential issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back