Typhon Shock tower top protection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracer74

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Anyone have a recommendation to protect theTyphon shock tower tops from grinding. I just purchased carbon fiber towers and super glued the edges. I saw a tower protector from tbone racing but really didn’t like the look of it. I’ve seen other ones for the Mugen and Tekno. Has anyone made these work?

@Kracer74 Might want to edit your post and "tag" it with "Typhon"

The exposed shock towers of the Typhon seems to be the one major drawback to the buggy design. I, too, would like to see a more substantial protector than just plastic covers that one will keep having to replace.

While not my vehicle, the screenshot from the video below shows how badly the covers get ground away on asphalt (on a Typhon 3s). I'm envisioning some kind of angled aluminum plate that could both on to the towers and would last longer than plastic.

Screenshot 2020-10-17 085106.jpg

The only attempt I've seen at a better solution comes from T-Bone Racing for the Typhon 6s. It's not the prettiest solution, IMHO, but the design looks like it would work well in that the tower guard would likely slide over asphalt rather than grind away like plastic does.

20170719_153121_2400x1350.jpg

A home-made shock tower protector made from a front bumper:

1527781836__15277816417541663240235__original.jpg

Considering how vulnerable the front shock towers are on buggies, I'm surprised that there are so few products available to protect the towers.

I can’t take credit for this and can’t remember where I saw it done, but I use some rubber tubing split open and zip ties as shock tower protectors.
Nice! I have some clear tubing used for my house that is so freakin' tough I can hardly cut it with a razor blade. Might have to rig-up something pretty and see how it works (Key to "pretty" is probably colored fiber ties!)

I went to work in the basement trying to find something I already had to make a shock tower protector. Time will tell how well my "mod" will work, but if it does, I hereby officially call this, "The Todd Mod" :cool:

PXL_20201022_020444857.MP.jpg

If there's anything I have a lot of, it's worn-out bicycle chains. That gave me the idea you see above. I'm pretty sure bicycle chain links are made of steel, so they should last pretty long, even against asphalt. To bend the chain links, I put one end in a vice, heated the link with a torch, then beat on it with a hammer. (The chain links don't bend without heat... they just snap, as I found out on my first attempt.)

I like that. I just split some fuel line hose I had laying around and used tie straps similar to one of the pics. above. I put some on the front and rear. Seems to be keeping it off of the body of my Typhon 6s V5. But always looking for a better idea.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back